Official 2017 Shaver Lake trip thread

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camp Edison has a special running - book now and save some money!

Events and Activities
January/February Snow Deal at Camp Edison*
PAY FOR 1 NIGHT OF CAMPING AND GET THE 2ND NIGHT FREE. You may book your reservation online then call or email our office to receive the deal.

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4pm
Phone: 559-841-3134 ext. 6
Email: camped@sce.com

*Valid Jan 2 - Feb 28, 2017. Maximum stay 14 total nights. Not valid with any other discounts, some restrictions may apply.

Booked my space - 222 (She Who Must Be Obeyed says we are to be near the bathroom)

We'll be heading up Friday morning and will likely do some snowshoeing that day before settling into the standard 'Shaver Routine'.  Gotta burn those calories!

Yes - this may be one of those years where we don't even make it to the actual trail.  I'm sorta hoping that by pushing the run back to Sunday instead of Saturday any Jeep/etc clubs that are out there will run on Saturday and maybe do some plowing for us.  

Regardless - you know you want to be part of this epic trip!  Think of the stories.  After all, Colin said he's coming - you wouldn't want to miss out on that would you?  :)

First post updated with attendees.

Chains.  Well.....that depends.

There is always a possibility of chain controls being in place for the drive to/from Shaver.  There are a variety of different chain control levels per Caltrans:

R-1:
Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles.
R-2:
Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four-wheels. NOTE: four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.
R-3:
Chains required - Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exception

R1 and R2 are the most common.  Usually they just close the road entirely instead of going to R3.

So...You are unlikely to have to run chains in a Rover however under R2 you are supposed to have them with you.

Full disclosure:  I don't have chains for my rig.  With the tire size I have I couldn't actually run them even if I wanted to.  No clearance.  I'm not saying it's 'right', I'm just saying that's what I do.

Do you need chains on the trail?  No, but they can certainly help, particularly if you're on a mild tire.  Most people don't run them but on icy conditions especially they are really good.  They also help act as 'paddles' in soft snow or deep soft mud.  Of course you wouldn't want to run them on bare rock any more than you'd want to run them on a dry road.  

For the longest time I've carried a set of chains in my truck that in no way, shape or form would fit the tires on my truck. On the way up to big bear they will usually have chain control check points and I have them to produce for inspection, never actually had to pull them out of the back of the truck though.  They ask if i have them, I say yes and continue on my way.

Don is correct in regards to R3 chain controls, I've never seen them implemented. They will usually just close the road if it gets beyond the R2 level.

Well I'm on the fence for this trip

With my larger tires (duratracs) and limited clearance, chains are not an option

With snow rated tires you wont have any problem. Don couldn't fit chains if he wanted to and is in the same boat. Come on up and join in on the inevitable stuck fest! I had more fun last year when we only made it half way up the actual trail vs the year before where we made it to the top in record time..

Well I'm on the fence for this trip

With my larger tires (duratracs) and limited clearance, chains are not an option

I used to run 265/65-18 Duratracs and unless I ran the super-special-mega-buck-wonder chains the dealer has there was no way to make make them fit.  Like Jake, I have been known to toss a pair of chains in the back that I could point to if asked but they wouldn't actually fit the LR3.

FWIW, the Duratrac is pretty good in the snow.   Of course nothing but chains or studs really works on ice.

Jake,

You must have been in the group that didn't go the back way the year before .....

Graeme

Indeed... IIRC it was you, Tyler and maybe Don that took the bonus points back way out. One of Tyler's friends didn't have the wherewithal to keep his mouth shut and managed to piss off a group of inebriated localish fellows and almost got Tyler run off the road more than once as a result of.. That was an interesting end to the day..

Some new SCLR sign ups -

Erez + Friend in JKU - Staying in Town

Chris - Site 233 with Trailer

Keanan is a maybe, he's deciding if he wants to wrangle all 3 of his kids solo since his wife is working that weekend

Brad is likely - His plan is to stay in town and ride shotgun with someone as his D2 is down atm

Eric from Tactical Rovers - I hit him up on FB to see if he was going to bring his new LR3 and he said he'd love to, gave him the dates so we'll see if he can make it.

Some new SCLR sign ups -

Erez + Friend in JKU - Staying in Town

Chris - Site 233 with Trailer

Keanan is a maybe, he's deciding if he wants to wrangle all 3 of his kids solo since his wife is working that weekend

Brad is likely - His plan is to stay in town and ride shotgun with someone as his D2 is down atm

Eric from Tactical Rovers - I hit him up on FB to see if he was going to bring his new LR3 and he said he'd love to, gave him the dates so we'll see if he can make it.

Would be cool to meet Eric from TR - I'd love it if he brought an LR3 decked out with all his goodies so I can have a chance to complain about my ARB front bumper some more.  ;)

Come on guys - if all these SoCal people show up they may outnumber us!  We can't have that!

• 2 weeks later...

1501 E Yosemite Ave, Madera, CA 93638

Valero

1502 E Yosemite Ave, Madera, CA 93638

Regards,

Graeme

So I'll be at the Valero Gas Station

1502 E Yosemite Ave, Madera CA 94638 at about 10AM

As well, my group will be heading out to snow board Sunday if anyone else would like to come ( http://www.skichinapeak.com/lift-tickets

Archived