D1 with the 5 speed.

DiscoDavis

Flew to Phoenix with a buddy of mine, bought from somewhat unscrupulous buyer, but it had a CA title still and ZERO rust. Trans seals leak a bit, transfer case leaks a bit, but she drives fine and we drove it back here from Prescott. Motor strong and cools really great which surprised me.

When I was in school I looked for this exact spec car, never could find a running model. Now that I have one coming from the D3, it is cool that you can get to everything without using a GAP tool. It's home now, use it to drive to work and back. True what they say about the R380, it drives like a little tractor. 

Still on the fence about keeping it, found another one identical to it that spent its whole life in WC... if anyone is interested just drop on by. May end up being full CT homage... side note if anyone has a defender voltmeter from the 80s-90s I need one...

>5 speed

>CDL works good

>manual cloth seats

>tan interior

>came with 2 hella 1000 floods wired up to the dumb A bar thing

>No sunroofs

>minor 2" maybe 3" lift with OME shocks, not sure about coils, OEM maybe.

31069941300_e71562649e_k.jpg

General update:

Trimmed the front OEM plastic bumper, clipped the corners. Adjusted the headlamp beams. Changed the trans fluid to Redline MTL. She seems very happy. Still hunting down a few electrical gremlins but I need to find a place that will steam clean both the engine bay and drive train. Hoping after winter if she stays she'll be clean and leak free! And if she leaves someone will get a nice happy rover with less mysteries than when I got her. 

Love these chunky doors! I don't miss all the weird voltage issues!

Update:

alternator quit on the way back from SJ. She was in SJ to get steam cleaned! motor, drivetrain are pretty spiffy now!

Need to put that CT volt meter in where the radio used to be... might have saved me. Oh well. Hopefully she gets smogged next week and I'll have a new title/tags issued. 

Really thinking about Switzerland... 

>more updates, messed with the base idle, now I get a CEL (45). Now I can't smog until it goes away and stays away. 

>put in a new alternator, thanks to Colin who had one at the shop the next day

>Put some BG 44k in the tank, will seafoam the intake after christmas, then try smog again

>mesh is for sure gone on 2nd gear. Not a huge deal if you upshift perfectly, but forget downshifting, it requires such low rpm you might as well stay in 3rd or go to N then 1st. 

>found a special sticker that was missing on the vehicle... more to come. 

>Rallye lights put back on but there's a problem somewhere in the old wiring. Time to work on the switchbank and voltmeter. 

>Trans leaks only a tiny bit now after steam cleaning and changing to redline MTL. 

>oil cooler area still leaks a bit of oil.

Ah, apparently the art of double-clutch downshifting is lost on today's youth.  ;)

As a former Alfa driver/racer, it became second nature for me even on the street.  They have notoriously week 2nd gear syncros.

Ah, apparently the art of double-clutch downshifting is lost on today's youth. ;)

As a former Alfa driver/racer, it became second nature for me even on the street. They have notoriously week 2nd gear syncros.

I got a Class A commercial license on a whim in college. Double clutching through 10 gear changes up and down was pretty tiring while adjusting to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I never had to worry much on the upshifts, just the downshifts.  

'course the kids these days all have the flappy paddles and whatnot.  They got a confuser what for does the dirty work for 'em.

Archived