Impromptu meet for drinks in Mountain View (Tues, 20th)

Nick & I are going to catch up over drinks at Steins Beer Garden in Mountain View Tuesday (20th) @ 6:30. 

We're going to debate Radius of Courage vs. Safety in Numbers, and why Defenders shouldn't have a winch b/c it has a hard enough time getting out of its own way.  :lol:

Come join us.

I'll be in my green baseball cap again. 

lol @ ROC.. Should be Radius of Coverage, aka how many miles will AAA tow me back once I manage to get it back to pavement if I have REALLY broken something.. That's the beauty of the older trucks, less electrical tomfoolery and more ways to get home whilst walking wounded..

Haha!  Yup, that's exactly it... - The "Radius of Courage" is defined by your AAA Tow distance. Normal, Premier, etc...  Inside the radius? Warrior!!  Outside? Bring a friend and a tow strap ;-)

Haha! Yup, that's exactly it... - The "Radius of Courage" is defined by your AAA Tow distance. Normal, Premier, etc... Inside the radius? Warrior!! Outside? Bring a friend and a tow strap ;-)

I think we can improve on that and make it an official club standard. I'm envisioning 3 circles, each centered on your home or favored repair facility.

The innermost circle indicates the Radius of Coverage (R1). This is defined by a circle with radius equal to your AAA mileage limit.

Next is the Radius of Camaraderie (R2). This is defined by a circle with a radius of R1 + the distance your fellow club members will drag you to get you back into R1.

The third circle is the Radius of Courage (R3), which is defined by a circle with a radius of R2 + the distance you're willing to "chance" being without tow capability. Several variables factor in here - how far you're willing to walk, how many spare parts and tools you have, how many thousands of dollars you're willing to pay for Jimbob's Towing Service to get you back to civilization, etc. A luck factor based on your last 15 roulette wheel results is applied to the spare parts/tools variable to determine the likelihood of actually having the correct parts/tools on hand, which generally reduces that likelihood to near-zero.

Now, what happens beyond R3? Well, this would be the Radius of Toyota, also known as the "What Are You Thinking?! Zone". Exceeding R3 should be left to Land Cruisers, suicidal, or clinically insane individuals ONLY.

:D

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think we can improve on that and make it an official club standard. I'm envisioning 3 circles, each centered on your home or favored repair facility.

The innermost circle indicates the Radius of Coverage (R1). This is defined by a circle with radius equal to your AAA mileage limit.

Next is the Radius of Camaraderie (R2). This is defined by a circle with a radius of R1 + the distance your fellow club members will drag you to get you back into R1.

The third circle is the Radius of Courage (R3), which is defined by a circle with a radius of R2 + the distance you're willing to "chance" being without tow capability. Several variables factor in here - how far you're willing to walk, how many spare parts and tools you have, how many thousands of dollars you're willing to pay for Jimbob's Towing Service to get you back to civilization, etc. A luck factor based on your last 15 roulette wheel results is applied to the spare parts/tools variable to determine the likelihood of actually having the correct parts/tools on hand, which generally reduces that likelihood to near-zero.

Now, what happens beyond R3? Well, this would be the Radius of Toyota, also known as the "What Are You Thinking?! Zone". Exceeding R3 should be left to Land Cruisers, suicidal, or clinically insane individuals ONLY.

Brilliant!

Something like:   rC3  ??

Wait, Radius of Toyota? Didn't the 'yota you went wheeling with back when you had the RRC die and have to go home on a hook when the RRC made it under it's own power?

That's very true, but I'd consider that to be an outlier. I love my Rovers, but let's be real here - if I'm going far out into the wilderness or going to other continents with limited support resources, I'd feel more comfortable in a Land Cruiser.

That's very true, but I'd consider that to be an outlier. I love my Rovers, but let's be real here - if I'm going far out into the wilderness or going to other continents with limited support resources, I'd feel more comfortable in a Land Cruiser.

Depends on the Land Rover... 

This is the best thing I have seen on the internet in weeks, if not months!

If it was shorter it would be my new sig!

This is the best thing I have seen on the internet in weeks, if not months!

If it was shorter it would be my new sig!

Oh don't worry, a short 'quotable' version with a diagram will be forthcoming soon... ;)

Depends on the Land Rover...

I'm not too sure about that....lol

Archived