New 18" Compomotives, Lift and Cooper S/T Maxx's Today

djoslin

It was like Christmas morning today, i finally got my 18" compomotive 1881's on with Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 275/65R18 and put on the johnson rods full time. I was so torn on tires, this is one of those times it turned out better than I thought it would be. The stance now looks like a Discovery 4 should IMO.

No issues with TMSP, I was worried, they used the stock ones, fitted fine, no warning lights.

I do have some rubbing in the front, mostly at full lock. looks like its on the main steel chassis, anyone have this issue? did you grind the chassis steel away? I can see it getting annoying real fast.

Don

post-1004-0-73159300-1472960833_thumb.jpg

Excellent choice of tire - I've never heard a single bad word about them and they may be the next tire I run on my LR3 in that same size.  I currently run the STT Pro in 275-70-18 and really it's too much for normal stuff.

As for the rubbing I believe you're describing a common problem point.  At the back/bottom of the front wheel wells there's a frame horn that sticks out and will usually rub with this size tire.  The solution is to simply cut it back and weld a new plate on.  Sounds a bit scary but it's not too bad.  If you haven't looked into it, you'll probably have some rubbing in the rear as well at the forward portion of the plastic wheel liner.  About the 3-o-clock area as seen from the passenger side.  If you pull the liner out you'll see there's a body seam under the bulge in the plastic.  You can just use a hammer and fold it over.  Assuming you have rear HVAC you'll also find two aluminum coolant lines in that area.  It's possible to carefully bend them around and tuck them into the open area along the wheel arch, but there's a strong chance of cracking one of them.  Easy solution - follow the hard lines forward and you'll see they run along the rocker and going aft they turn and run sideways across the truck.  You'll see some joints where you can take them apart and replace the portion in the wheel arch with 5/8 heater hose.  Once that's all sorted you can use a heat gun to soften the plastic wheel liner and sort of mold it out of the way.

It's harder to describe than to show in person.  None of it is too hard assuming you have a welder or know somebody who can do a little welding.  I'd volunteer but I'm not sure I'll have much free time before the MAW.  But if you can't find somebody I'm sure I can help.

Thanks DHappel, I almost got the STT Pro or the Toyo OC M/T's, they both look super great.

Thanks for the tips on on the rubbing issue, so far I don't see anything getting close to rubbing in the rear.

I have a pic attached of what is rubbing in the front, sounds like what you are talking about. how far did you cut? the whole hole area near the rub mark or more? then re weld a plate on the cut part?

Don

post-1004-0-38722800-1472965439_thumb.jpg

I got them through cains tire in San Rafael, they had them next day and did the install.

My review so far is they ride well, not loud at all on highway. I will be going to Death Valley soon and can then give my off road review too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks DHappel, I almost got the STT Pro or the Toyo OC M/T's, they both look super great.

Thanks for the tips on on the rubbing issue, so far I don't see anything getting close to rubbing in the rear.

I have a pic attached of what is rubbing in the front, sounds like what you are talking about. how far did you cut? the whole hole area near the rub mark or more? then re weld a plate on the cut part?

Don

That's it exactly. And as you expected, I went ahead and cut back to approximately where the hole on the top is then just welded a flat plate over the area, hit it with a little primer, then some flat black paint.

On early LR3s that piece is a bolt on that can be removed, but from about 2006 it's welded as you see. It doesn't support anything and I've been told it's purpose was to help prevent a tire from pushing back into the foot well in an acident. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems feasible.

I'm surprised you don't have any rubbing of the plastic in the rear but even if it does rub it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Curious where you sourced your wheels from? I've been considering them for a little while.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I read this wrong, I thought you were asking about the tires for some reason. I got the wheels direct from compomotive in the UK. I was going to order them from johnson rods, but it would have been $300 more in shipping, so I ordered direct, I was blown away how fast they arrived, 4 days from the time I wired the money.

That's it exactly. And as you expected, I went ahead and cut back to approximately where the hole on the top is then just welded a flat plate over the area, hit it with a little primer, then some flat black paint.

On early LR3s that piece is a bolt on that can be removed, but from about 2006 it's welded as you see. It doesn't support anything and I've been told it's purpose was to help prevent a tire from pushing back into the foot well in an acident. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems feasible.

I'm surprised you don't have any rubbing of the plastic in the rear but even if it does rub it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks DHappel, I dont have a welder or cutter, I am hoping my friend can help with this when I do some other mods.

I read this wrong, I thought you were asking about the tires for some reason. I got the wheels direct from compomotive in the UK. I was going to order them from johnson rods, but it would have been $300 more in shipping, so I ordered direct, I was blown away how fast they arrived, 4 days from the time I wired the money.

Curious to your source if you wouldn't mind sharing... thanks!

Thanks DHappel, I dont have a welder or cutter, I am hoping my friend can help with this when I do some other mods.

Sounds like a good reason to have a wrenching day!!!

Well, I've broken ground on the shop.... we'll have to break it in eventually!  :)

But I doubt he'll want to wait that long.  I'd be happy to do a wrenching day; I can bring the cutting and welding tools easily enough.  I did it for Erin's LR4 in her driveway.  But it may be difficult to find a clear weekend before OktRoverFest at the end of the month.  After that things should start to open up.

Well, I've broken ground on the shop.... we'll have to break it in eventually!   :)

But I doubt he'll want to wait that long.  I'd be happy to do a wrenching day; I can bring the cutting and welding tools easily enough.  I did it for Erin's LR4 in her driveway.  But it may be difficult to find a clear weekend before OktRoverFest at the end of the month.  After that things should start to open up.

I can wait, be great to meet you guys considering I wont be able to make it to octroverfest.

I'm sure there will be plenty of wrenching days to be had once I get the place done, but at this point the slab and footings aren't even poured.  The gravel base is in and the rebar is in place, now I'm waiting on the first of many inspections before the pour.  Then they can start framing.  Then more inspections.  Then wiring.  Then more inspections.  Then plumbing.  Etc, etc....  Sure is a lot of work for a pretty small building!  Plus I'll have to wait for the slab to season a bit before setting the anchors for the lift, so I'm guessing 2 months before I'm really moved in.  At least I should beat the rainy season.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/IMG_20160831_173156333_zpstjb3zshg.jpg

Archived