2" RTE/OME install was successful

Hey everyone-

We started around 2pm, a little later than we were planning, but got everything installed in about 7 hours. The front was easier with three feet of extensions to reach the shock tower nuts in the engine bay. For the rear we removed the brake calipers, the other wire (ABS?) and sway bar connections to get enough drop. We didn't need the spring compressor to install the rear spring.

After putting some goop on the rear brakes to stop low speed squealing we read and cleared the SES light, it was "P0734 Gear 4 ratio incorrect." Now I just need to install the RTE sliders on when they arrive in a couple weeks, and replace the radiator due to a small leak.

Obligatory pics:

Great work! It looks super with the lift and I see you have just enough clearance to get into the garage. Wait till the urge to put larger tires happens and then it won't fit. :D You and the stock truck did great at the MORG, imagine how well it will do with the lift and CDL!

Thanks!! This was done in my friends garage and figured I could have aired down if it had any issues getting out. My own garage gives me close to 6 or 7 inches getting in so no worries there. I still need to move out of my parking space to get my surfboard up there but that's ok.

Nice work!

What are you next mod(s) or atleast future plans?

Ron

Hey everyone-

We started around 2pm, a little later than we were planning, but got everything installed in about 7 hours. The front was easier with three feet of extensions to reach the shock tower nuts in the engine bay. For the rear we removed the brake calipers, the other wire (ABS?) and sway bar connections to get enough drop. We didn't need the spring compressor to install the rear spring.

After putting some goop on the rear brakes to stop low speed squealing we read and cleared the SES light, it was "P0734 Gear 4 ratio incorrect." Now I just need to install the RTE sliders on when they arrive in a couple weeks, and replace the radiator due to a small leak.

Obligatory pics:

Well my RTE sliders were shipped yesterday with the slider step. The step helps to get the surfboard on and off the roof, but i need to get the crossbars too. Next week I'm getting the Tuffy box from AB.

Other items:

New radiator (very small leak right now)

Optima Red Top battery

New rotoflex joint

CDL linkage

Diff guards

Random recovery gear (have recovery strap and 1 d-shackle)

Front and rear bumpers eventually

Hold off on that redtop. Look into a bluetop instead. It's Marine rated for starting and deep cycle. It also has secondary connection points for accessories, like lighting or a winch.

Ahh, that answers a future question for me, an easy way to hookup axillary equipment to the battery. Looks like a good choice. Thanks Will.

The RTE sliders actually stick out a considerable amount, I don't have the step, and I have no problem throwing three or four bikes on my rooftop yakima. The slider is almost a step in itself! I'll definitely want check yours out, maybe at the next MORG? I have considered buying the step...

Steve

and have used it a total of twice...

Once I got my rear roof ladder, it's a lot easier to hand stuff up to the kids that-away, using the spare tire as a temporary resting place or standing on the RTE bumper..

I found it too heavy to haul around and akward to pack..

If anyone wants one, I would let it go for a good price.. can't remember what I paid...

Well my RTE sliders were shipped yesterday with the slider step. The step helps to get the surfboard on and off the roof, but i need to get the crossbars too. Next week I'm getting the Tuffy box from AB.

Other items:

New radiator (very small leak right now)

Optima Red Top battery

New rotoflex joint

CDL linkage

Diff guards

Random recovery gear (have recovery strap and 1 d-shackle)

Front and rear bumpers eventually

If you are installing sliders yourself, get ready for "the curse of the Rivnut" -- you will learn what I refer to as you begin the install...

If you are installing sliders yourself, get ready for "the curse of the Rivnut" -- you will learn what I refer to as you begin the install...

A 1/4" Air ratchet installs the riv-nuts perfectly, not too much torque.

I might take the step off your hands, will you be at the MORG?

Also the key word for you is "kids", I don't have any of those yet, so the step would be a better move for me....

Steve

The ladder has always looked iffy to me. I can step onto the bumper without problem, so I haven't seen the need for it. I've also read about the riv-nuts being a p.i.t.a. While doing the lift my friend Chris kept saying he wished we had air tools. He's close to getting them but I might be able to hasten that with getting the sliders. Any other tips for the slider install?

• 5 months later...

Ok, I am sure there are video/media experts out there e.g. Jim aka Mr Video, Keptin & his college buddies, phil.... we can recruit in this project.

Can we make something like this w/Tread Lightly as the subject line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z9_k4SJkE?

- Should be a short video

- You can literally take the same script from the short video above!

- I would like to have 2 LR vehicles instead of 1 (one modern and one classic e.g. RRC, Defender; want to promote tread lightly as well as travel in 2s for safety plus if you get stuck, you can get a pull or tug vs digging up the trail - that's treading lightly

- Speaker could be Will, David, Leigh....

- We can use Hollister or open suggestion as to the film location

- This can be provided to LR dealerships, Tread Lightly Org.... many applications for PR

FYI - just found out the Daphne Greene (1995 Camel Trophy participant and now Deputy Directory of the State of CA OHV program) is a now a BOD for Tread Lightly - she will probably be proud of this and supportive especially if filmed in Hollister OHV.

Anyways, just my Sunday morning brainstorm!

Chime in if interested and we can get together w/NCLR BODs to brainstorm further and plan this. If all good, we can make it a 2009 NCLR Project!

Archived