My Off-Pavement Big Island of Hawaii Trip/Tour

LandRonB

Aloha Guys/Gals,

I am back from my 8-day vacation to the "Big Island of Hawaii" (the Big Island of Hawaii is one of the 8 islands including "Kaua'i", "Moloka'i", "Maui", "Lana'i" and "Oahu" that make up Hawaii).

The Big Island of Hawaii has a lot more to offer IMHO in terms of outdoor activities, dazzling sunrise and sunsets, less crowded vs the other islands; and for these reasons, it's my favorite Hawaiian island.

It has pristine rain forests, lava deserts, world-class beaches (white sand, black, and green sand beaches), snow covered mountains (Mauna Kea is 13,000 ft tall from its base to the summit, and then another 17,000 ft from the Ocean to its base; that's taller than Mt Everest @ 12,000 ft), and just about every activity you can think of.

Take a flight from either Oakland/San Francisco or Los Angeles, and in five hours, you can be in this island paradise.

Wanted to share my recent 8-day vacation trip to the Big Island (spent time in the Puna, Hilo, Kau, and Hamakua Areas - see pix) and perhaps inspire others to plan a Big Island Off-Pavement Trip/Tour of Hawaii; or perhaps in a Land Rover and join me on my next trip!

This time around (not a NCLR sanctioned trip), my trip to the Big Island are both for

- family vacation (mixed activities to cater to both me, my wife and my two young boys)

- future investment (look for a buildable lot to purchase and build my family's future vacation/retirement home)

- and recce Off-Pavement Big Island Tour Trip (focus of this trip report).

Preparation/Items to Bring:

- 5-8 days of tropical wear/basic necessities

- Reef Shoes

- Waterproof sunblock and mosquito repellant

- GPS, Map of the areas to visit, and compass (back-up); I brought my Magellan Crossover - see pic 1, and have a small key chain compass (giveaway from the Land Rover Driving Experience in Carmel)

- Water-bottle or water bottle holder; brought my clip on.

- First aid kit (will come in handy should you cut yourself from the sharp rocks on the reef)

- Flashlight or small lantern: I brought my Coleman camping lantern

- Warm clothes (trip to Muana Kea or other high-altitude activities); I brought my Mountain Hardware Exposure II shell jacket (breathable and waterproof; can be used as a rain gear or outer shell when temp drops up in Mauna Kea)

- Sun protection (head/face)

- Optional activities: decided I wanted to do snorkeling gear and fishing (already invested on these equipment, wanted to maximize use, and brought them on this trip)

- Reserve your 4-wheel drive vehicle available from Harper (808)-852-9993 that allows you to drive rented 4WD vehicles to areas such as South Point, Mauna Kea OHV access roads among others not permitted by major rental companies e.g. Budget, Hertz.

- Lodging of your choice: hotel, rented house, camping or combination.

Meeting Location:

Hilo International Airport

Direction to Meeting Place:

From downtown Hilo, take highway 11 (aka Kanoelehua Rd), follow the sign to the airport, and turn to Airport Rd, look for customer parking (infront of the terminal), and park (free parking for the first 45 minutes). My wife and I arrived in Hilo first, picked up the 4WD vehicle, made all the arrangements, and finally met our guest (brother-in-law and his wife ) at the Hilo International Airport upon their arrival.

Trip Agenda:

My trip can be completed in 5 days if you take out 2 whole days (Day 1 and Day 8) of rest time/leisure time and perhaps combine Day 2 and 4 (visit to the Puna area); you can pick/choose any of these activities and/or toss leisure activities to do such as basking under the sun or visiting e.g. Coral Reef Discovery Center, Tsunami History Museum or Mauna Koa Macadamia Nut Factory. Here's my recent trip agenda:

Day 1: Optional leisure/rest day from the long 5 hour flight; get acclimated to the tropical weather; finalize plan/purchase needed supplies; visit downtown Hilo, chill/hang loose

Day 2: Puna: Lava Tree State Park / 4WD to Champagne Pond / Optional Beach Camping

Day 3: Hamakua: 4WD to Waipio Valley / Horse Back Riding in Waimea

Day 4: Puna: Drive Down the Coast of Puna / Optional Camping

Day 5: Kau: Drive to the Volcano National Park / Optional Camping or Cabin

Day 6: Drive up to the Mauna Kea Summit / 4WD in Mauna Kea Forest Reserve / Optional Camping or Cabin

Day 7: Kau: 4WD to South Point

Day 8: Optional take a leisure drive to Kona (get up early; it's a 2.5 hr drive from Hilo to Kona), coffee tasting, and/or pack for the trip back home; chill/hang loose

Island Information:

- Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau: http://www.gohawaii.com/big_island

- Champagne Pond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puna,_Hawaii

- Waipio Valley: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waipio_valley

- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/index.htm

- Mauna Kea: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanoes/maunakea/ and http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

- South Point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_Lae

Telephone Number:

- Mauna Kea Park Rangers/Recorded Weather and Road Conditions: (808) 935-6268

- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: (808) 985-6000

Food / Meals:

- Meal plans: BYO

Important Information:

- 4WD is required to get to: the Champagne Pond, Waipio Valley, on Mauna Kea Summit and Forest Reserve 4WD trails, and the South Point; also check with your rental car company for driving restrictions to these areas; Harper rental is the car rental company I used and allowed their 4WD vehicles on these areas (pay a lil bit more but worth it)

- Do not enter Mauna Kea Forest Reserves or Waipio Valley if it has been raining hard in the last 24 hours or looks like it's going to rain in 24 hour; flash flood can wash you off the road or cut you off in both directions.

- Check surf conditions before driving to the Champagne Pond or South Point; large waves of water can surge up, fill the trails with water and cut you off.

- There are absolutely no services on these roads; fill-up, bring extra food and prepare to spend over night (especially driving on Mauna Kea Reserve 4WD Trails and South Point) in case your vehicle breaks down (let someone know where you are going). Cell phone and map of the area is a must, and GPS with a tracking/leave bread crumbs feature (I used the Magellan Crossover GPS during this trip) is a plus especially in the Mauna Kea Forest Reserve Trails.

- Mauna Kea Forest Reserves have areas designated for hunting (pig, small birds, etc...). Non-hunting users are highly recommended to wear orange vest or bright colored clothing.

- Stop at the Mauna Kea visitor center (at 9000 ft) for atleast 30 minutes to get acclimated with the high-altitude before driving up to the summit; wear warm clothing; when I was there last Sunday Feb 24, 2008, the temperature during the day was 31 degrees.

Pictures and on the way; here are some teaser shots!

1) My wife, Jake (my 3 year old son), and me/Max (my 5 year old son - not shown in the photo) getting comfy on our 5 hour flight from Oakland to Hilo, HI

2) Areas of the Big Island of Hawaii

3) Map (vacation rental house) where we are staying in the Puna Area

4) Our location on the Magellan Crossover GPS

Sounds like we need to plan a family vacation to the Big Island with a touch of Land Rover Driving Experience to get you there!

Tell Paloma, Roselyn is up for it if she is!

For comfort, will a 4bd house with a full kitchen and ocean view do the job (catering to our SO or significant other)? :)

How about a living room with all the entertainment features for the kids (flat screen TV, DVD, cable, internet access) so parents can enjoy the swimming pool after a long hard day on the trails, and a professional BBQ grill to cook till you drop?

And did I mention it only cost $150 a day for this vacation rental house; I split the cost with my brother-in-law and daily cost came to less than it would to stay at a smaller dingy motel in Hilo; had enough extra money for 2x 4wd rentals (buddy system on the trails): Trail Blazer shown on the pic, and Ford Expedition parked on the street.

See you at the Big Island!

Welcome back Ron!

Nice write up as always.

I really need to go there one of these days.

David.

Did you have a good time?

Any pix?

Yes lil crawler, my family had fun especially: Max (my 5 yrs old son) and Jake (my other 3 yrs old son). I hear that you are not afraid of spiders (read your Arizona trip report; great write-up by the way); Well, saw this neat looking spider in the backyard of our vacation rental house and took a pic for you (body size of a dime)!

Also Max and I saw a whale swimming just across from where we were staying; it was an awesome sight/feeling to see such majestic creature whip its tail about 200 yards away, and blow water thru their blowhole!

Don't have a pic of the whale swimming since it was spur of the moment, but I have more pics to post re: our 4wd experience! Coming soon!

Important and optional items to bring; already purchased or have these items from my prev trips to Hawaii, wanted to get my monies worth, and didn't want to forget either and end-up buying twice:

Pic 1:

- Important to bring or have are reef shoes (Hilo has poor beaches (vs Kona side with white sand beaches); however Hilo has awesome cliffs and rocky reefs which makes exploring these rocky reef areas on reef shoes safer than barefoot or slippers)!

- Bring mosquito repellant (rain water can get trapped in odd places and when there is still water, mosquitos are abound even during the day and especially at night); and sun block!

- GPS device (not shown are the map of the areas to visit I printed for the trip, and compass (my back-up to the GPS)); I also recorded the GPS coordinates of the places visited on this trip, and its avail to members - just ask me!

- Water bottle or water bottle clip like in the pic (important to drink a lot of fluids)

Pic 2:

- Rain gear/warm clothing; brought 2-in-1 Mountain Hardwear parka in case of hard rain (Hilo gets a lot of rain - around 140 inches of rain per year), and it's chilly up on Mauna Kea (13,000 ft high).

- First aid kit

- GPRS aka walkie talkie; communicate between two vehicles; I would have liked a portable CB, but it's too bulky to carry on the airplane, and the GPRS worked fine for only having two vehicles one car lenght apart on the trails!

- Head protection from the sun

- Flashlight or Lantern in case you ended up staying late in the dark at the beach passed sunset (which we did a couple of times)

Pic 3

- Optional Snorkeling gear if you have one vs renting in Hawaii (great seeing small reef fish and turtles at the Champagne Pond)

Pic 4

- Waterproof reef fish guide

Pic 5

- Optional: fisherman or woman don't forget to bring your gear if you like to do fishing especially for Onaga (snapper) great steamed, Opah (moonfish), Nenue (pacific chub), or Mahimahi great on the grill! I packed my saltwater fishing gear in a UPS triagular box/doubled it to hold my 2 piece 9 foot surf casting fishing rod/setup. Protected my pole well during transit going to and back.

Check with your airline carrier for any restrictions. I flew via ATA airlines and they allowed me to bring my fishing pole as checked-in bagged as long as it's boxed up!

Continue to Day 1...

After we picked up my brother-in-law and his wife from the Hilo Int'l Airport, we spent some time in downtown Hilo (10 mins away); they went to eat (Cafe Pesto - great place to eat by the way) while my family and I went to explore downtown Hilo.

Pic 1 and 2 My two boys enjoying the Coral Reef Discovery Center (free admission)

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration‘s (NOAA) Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef Ecosystem Reserve opened "Mokupäpapa" Discovery Center for Hawaii’s Remote Coral Reefs in Hilo to help teach visitors and school students about Hawaii’s ecosystem. The Center emphasizes marine life, and the natural and cultural resources contained within the nation’s largest conservation area. NOAA is an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Mokupäpapa features a 2,500 gallon salt-water aquarium containing fishes found in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (NWHI), and offers colorful bilingual interpretive panels in English and Hawaiian, which explain the breadth and depth of the natural and cultural heritage of the region. Interactive exhibits with touch-screens and video vignettes cover topics ranging from giant, apex predators to tiny, yet poisonous invertebrates. The Center will enable visitors to explore for themselves what life on the reefs is like.

Pic 3: Tsunami Museum (facts and figures from the 1949 Tsunami that devastated Hilo back in 1949)

Pic 4: Treat the kids with a tasty shave ice (Rainbow flavor is the best) at "Wilson by the Bay" on 224 Kamehameha Ave, Hilo, Hi (for your GPS). Check-out Max sitting on an invisible bench or either that he is about to go to the bathroom (smile)).

Pic 5: Wilson also sells local stickers and shirts; checked out this Hawaiian flag sticker (British influence) - I picked up two for my Rovers!

Continue to Day 2...

Welcome back, Ron. Looks like a great trip. Any red lava?? We were there a number of years ago and there wasn't any. :(

We're planning to go either ot the Big Island or Lana'i in late April/early May. We'll be joined by our son and his SO from Maui. Thanks for all the good trip planning info! How did you find the house to rent? That sounds like a really good idea.

No red lava!

Lots of snow at Mauna Kea; funny, exactly what I had plenty of (snow) the week before (Shaver Lake trip) and wanted to get away from! :D

Depending on what you like to do of course, I'd suggest the Big Island; I can PM you the rental agency contact info. You have a son living in Maui - cool! Another good reason to visit Hawaii more often.

Catch up with you soon re: the Big Island.

Welcome back, Ron. Looks like a great trip. Any red lava?? We were there a number of years ago and there wasn't any. :(

We're planning to go either ot the Big Island or Lana'i in late April/early May. We'll be joined by our son and his SO from Maui. Thanks for all the good trip planning info! How did you find the house to rent? That sounds like a really good idea.

Ok, I'm caught up with work email and voice msgs; now I can finish Day 2 and the rest!

Back to my Big Island trip. BTW, we rented a house in the Puna area (a nice house with an ocean view in the Hawaiian Paradise Park to be specific); our house was 18 miles from Hilo via Hwy 11 to 130.

Pic 1: From our rented house, started the morning with a brisk walk along the coast; caught some very intense sunrise in Puna.

I did cast my fishing pole earlier to test the gear w/simple casting floater on a swivel end and 20 lb test line, #10 hook on a 8 lb test line leader (going after the tasty when grilled "Nenue" aka Pacific Chub) and clumps of Wonder bread (local secret weapon)! :) Didn't catch any fish, but I did catch a beautiful sunrise.

Pic 2: After breakfast (local style: eggs sunny side up, rice and some Portuguese sausages), we packed lunch for the "Champagne Pond", loaded the SUV with our swimming gears, and headed to "Lava Tree State Park" first to burn off breakfast. Nice hike in this park before hitting the pond!

To get there, take Hwy 130, and then turn into Hwy 132. Reset your odometer and just after 2 miles, you'll soon come to Lava Tree State Park (right side).

Pic 3: Lava trees were formed when fast flowing lava encountered wet trees; as the flow drained, it left thick coating around dying trees; leaving free standing tubes; these particular Lava Trees were from the 1790 eruption!

Pic 4: Max standing under these huge plants growing abound in the park. We spent about an hour in the park.

Leave the Lave Tree State Park, turn left, head towards the ocean and continue on Hwy 132; you will pass under Canopy of Trees on Hwy 132.

Pic 5: At mile 8, the road turns into a dirt road (don't worry; there is a surprise) that leads to a light tower. Continue driving (another 2 miles) on this dirt road, you will pass the 1960 lava flow that wiped out the town of Kapoho.

Pic 6: At the end of this dirt road (4WD only), you will come to a tall white painted light tower, turn right into gray lava road. Do not create your own trail as the sharp broken lava rocks will puncture tire sidewalls!

Pic 7: Follow the gray lava road and head towards the water (1/4 of a mile).

Pic 8 & 9: Enjoy the view, take a deep breath. I read that scientist use it to test "virgin fresh air" and bench mark other air! This is not the surprise - need to continue on!

Pic 10: Follow the remaining gray lava road to your right (facing the ocean) for about 1 mile and you will come to an awesome experience called Champagne Pond. :)

Champagne Pond is a calm protected ocean inlet filled with crystal clear water; fish and sometimes turtles await you (bring the snorkeling gear). Did I mention this pond is heated to about 80 degrees!

Sparkling clean freshwater heated by the volcanoes percolates from the ground and then released on this pond. The tide can cool the water (refreshing actually) but seems to stay constant at 80 degrees.

Weekends and Holiday are crowed with locals; we planned this trip on a Tuesday; we were the only family swimming in this wonderful pond (maybe one or two local residents taking a swim)! Also wear reef shoes in the water as the rocks are sharp! Outer side of the pond is shallow; middle is about 6 feet deep! My kids had a blast swimming in the shallow areas plus heated and clear!

Our sunblock lotion must be tasty; there were tiny fish nibbling on us; doesn't hurt but strange feeling! :eek:

We ate our packed lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing! I also brought a cooler - perfect time for a cold brewski!

Continue...

Pic 1: Well, if my family didn't have a wonderful rented house to stay on this trip (or my wife to compromise with; all good however - didn't mind her three request from this trip: Stay @ a beach house, horse back riding, and no camping), I would have considered camping. Next time!

Camping out there would be great; you can spend all night fishing, watching the stars and waking up to the sunrise and the Champagne Pond! It was silent when I said this during the planning; thus, staying at the beach house (smile)!

Pic 2: Since I didn't catch any fish today, I stopped by the small town of Pahoa (on the way back home; on Hwy 130) and bought fresh catch of the day Ahi tuna for my family sushi dinner (fish and chips for the kids)! Yumm! The slices of Ahi was very tasty and they melted like butter in the mouth!

I have the GPS coordinates for the Champagne Pond if anyone is interested in checking it out!

Continue to Day 3....

Another home cooked breakfast to start the day; we then left Puna in the morning to begin Day 3, passed Hilo (via Hwy 130 to 11 to 19) and then continued on Hwy 19 (aka Hawaiian Belt Road) for a morning coastal drive to Waipio Valley. Trip took about 1 1/2 hr drive.

There are a few interesting/scenic pts on Hwy 19 e.g. an old abandoned train station converted to a museum in Laupahoehoe (wiped out by the Tsunami); be sure to pick up a Hawaii tour guide prior if interested.

Pic 1: after about a 1hr drive from Hilo. turn right to Hwy 240, you will come to a small town Honokaa; pass-by this town, and return later here (we ate at Blane's) for lunch after visiting Waipio Valley.

At the end of Hwy 240, the road will dead-end and start the decent to Waipio Valley on Waipio Rd. You might encounter a policeman doing a vehicle check (making sure you have a 4WD vehicle) - just smile and answer their questions e.g. have you been here before and is your vehicle 4WD before taking the plunge down on Waipio Valley. I've heard of stories about cars or 2WD vehicles getting struck so only drive 4WD to this valley!

Just remember to give vehicles driving "up" the right away, and pull/park aside on designed areas to stop and let oncoming vehicles thru. Waipio Rd is a one lane narrow steep road!

Ok, enough warnings, let's get down to business literally get down! Shift your vehicle's TC to 4WD low and gear to 1st or 2nd, drive down the steep narrow road for about 1 mile on Waipio Rd and then turn right at the bottom.

Pic 2: This is how the road looks like from the rear view about half way thru Waipio Rd!

Pic 3: At the bottom, turn right and follow the dirt road to Waipio Park. You will come to a wonderful surprise ocean clashing the shores and beautiful view of the valley up close.

Pic 4: If you are lucky (smile) and it just rained, you will need to ford two or three water crossing. Check the weather report/road condition and it has been raining hard in the last 24 hours, this dirt road most likely will not be passable!

Pic 5 & 6: In addition to the water crossing, we got lucky again and encountered wild horses gracing! Amazing to watching them (my wife's favorite encounter on this trip)!

Pic 7: Wild horses gone wild! Do not feed the wild horses; they can bite; my wife tried to feed them with bread on her hand and she got a surprising nip on her palm!

Pic 8: Waipio Valley has water inlets/outlets that connect fresh water to the Ocean. I saw some locals spear fishing to what looks like fish trying to spawn in the fresh water inlets, and certainly, I would love to come back here and take an optional Kayaking activity next time.

Pic 9and 10: After spending all morning in Waipio Valley Park, we back-tracked, headed back up on the dirt road, steep climb on Waipio Rd, back on-road on Hwy 240 and a stop at Honokaa for lunch at Blane's. After lunch, we headed to Waimea via Hwy 240 to 19 (about 1/2 drive) for our 3pm horseback riding appointment at the Dahana Ranch (alternative to the expensive and often sold out Parker Ranch Horseback riding).

I didn't want to bore the readers on this forum with dozens of photos of my family horseback riding, but it was an great 2 hour experience especially for my wife (one of her "want to do" on this trip)! Dahana is the only ranch that will allow small kids (5 & up) to ride a horse or pony, and a smaller kids (under 5) to ride double with adults (my 3 yr old rode with me, and my 5 yr old rode with his uncle although he could of had his own horse, but scared).

Here's a photo of my wife (in pink) and her horse name Maui; and her sister-in-law and her uncooperative horse name Thunder - Thunder was all flash today! Happy customers as you can see!

The drive back home to Puna was uneventful but pleasant!

Continue to Day 4....

Lol! Thanks for the compliment!

If you end up getting a G4 LR3 or Defender and ship it to Hawaii, I will certainly make your vacation (and family) in Hawaii worth while if you join me and others! Planning to ship my D2 (7 seater) on my next trip (was too late to ship since I just got it a few weeks ago)! Need a 2nd vehicle (buddy system)! I am also exploring sponsorship to help pay for vehicle shipping and other cost in exchange for advertisement! This is all near future stuff :)

C yah!

Ron

Ron, you're write-ups are simply amazing...

For my next vacation, I think I'll send you instead, that way we will all benefit from the experience...

My family enjoyed the Champagne Pond very much; we decided to came back on Day 4; early morning; still wonderful experience 2nd time around!

We could have combined Day 4 (today) with Day 2 since Day 4 mostly involved driving on-road along the same area but further down the Coast of Puna. Still worth spacing it out especially with young ones and enjoying the trip vs rushing (this is Hawaii after all).

Pic 1: Driving around housing sub-divisions (we later purchased a buildable lot in Nanawale Estates after doing extensive research and visiting various lots twice and 3x on some before making the decision) and along the coast!

The 4wd came in handy as some lots require that you drive on dirt road and drive over rocks to see/get the right vibe on the particular lot; some have a lot of hard lava rocks - it would take longer to level the lot, harder to dig and install your septic tank, etc...; and some have trenches that require to be filled in with top soil (very extensive in the Big Island). Anyways, we found our lot; corner lot; nice next door neightbor; onto the build (future write-up) especially designed tall garage to fit Land Rover(s) w/roof rack and all!

Pic 2: After lunch, Max and I decided to burn lunch and look for sea shells and count how many crabs and creatures we can find on or in the black sand beach and lava reef! Great "Green Hour Time with the kids"!

Pic 3: A lot of steep cliffs on the coast of Puna; Very pretty to look at/down, but watch your steps and becareful of loose edges!

Pic 4: I would have like the buy a lot or property at Kalapana Sea View Estates but too rich for my blood; next life!

Pic 5: Optional camping at Makenzie Park; like I said next time!

Pic 6: It was getting late, started our drive back home!

Creepy, ran into this small Hawaiian family cemetery on the way home on this dark single lane road/no street lights/not a soul around! Funny, I pretended like the car broke down and I was the only laughing! Not a good joke with the wife and kids :eek::D

Pic 7 & 8: Darkness caught up with us; still pretty looking at the stars and moon (and not so creepy anymore ); parked along the coast to watch the moon. On picture # 8, you can still make up a vehicle parked closer to the cliff, and looks like someone's lantern car camping! And of course, the full moon above!

Note: bring mosquito repellant!

Continue to Day 5...

Time to see the Volcanoes!

Put-on the sunblock lotion, and get ready for a 45 min drive to the Hawaiian National Volcanoes Park from Hilo. From Hilo, head East on Kilaeua; Kilaeua turns to Hwy 11 (aka Hawaiian Belt Rd)!

Pic 1 and 2: before heading out to the Volcanoes, decided to make good use of the pool in our backyard; great way to get the kids tired before the 45 mins drive.

Pic 3: What are dads for? Embarrass you son and save photos for his future wedding pictures! Here's Jake who decided to run around the house naked (my 3 yr old); he had a full morning in the pool, ready for his nap and getting crankier every minute. Pay back time. Don't take a pic....dad....oops too late son!

Pic 4: Walla. Kids fell asleep during the drive and just in time for lunch at the Lava Rock Cafe. Catchy name and good food! There is an ACE Hardware store across and Thai Restaurant (odd but there are a lot of folks from Thailand on the Big Island) if you need last minute items e.g. batteries, latern, camping stuff just in case at the hardware store - see pic 9 (smile)...

Pic 5 and 6: First stop was the steam vents (safe for the kids/not sulfuric); rain collects and hot volcano rocks heat the water to a steam!

Pic 7: National Volcanoes Park Visit center! Spend 1hr reading and touching all the articles, artifacts, etc.... Donate $1 or whatever you can and pick up a commenrative poster of this national park! I picked up one and will be framing it! Here's the placard fo the Halemaumau crater (crater within a crater).

Pic 8: The actual Halemaumau crater itself!

Whether you have 1hr, 5hrs or more to spend here, this website is helpful with planning your visit: http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Pic 9: Optional camping (free); call the Park for reservations; cabins avail for a small fee; Next time! And I could have continued on Hwy 11 to South Point (consolidate Day 7), but it was getting late and didn't want to do 4WD at night with the kids for safety reasons, and we have a nice house waiting for us (again, another next time)!

Pic 10: Brian (HMBRover) asked about red lava from the prev thread; I didn't get to see any on my trip, but I borrowed a photo from a photographer PF Bentley to show you red hot lava!

Continue to Day 6...

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize that my post was not complete; my last post was Day 6 and forget about 7-8. After returning from vacation, caught the flew bug and then got busy with work.

Ok, here are the rest of photos/travel notes in abbreviated version.

If I had to do Day 6 again, I would make a day trip dedicated to summit Mauna Kea (1 day) including spending time at the visitor center @ 9000 ft to adjust to the altitude (stay at center for min 30 mins) plus there is an informative field guide and Hawaiian history movie in the center (duration 1 hr) avail @ regular showings and 45 min each way to reach the summit to and back.

Camp or cabin over night, look at the stars

And then make the 4WD wheeling on Mauna Kea Forest Reserve next day or a seperate day.

2 days is about right! Lots to do @ Mauna Kea: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

Here are some pics to share!

Pic 1: Yes snow @ Mauna Kea

Pic 2: Stop-by at the Mauna Kea observation center to help adj w/the altidute (your about 9000 ft); top of Mauna Kea is about 13,700 ft. Takes about 45 mins to get to the observation center; spend 30 mins to adj and then 1 hr to reach the summer; add time enjoy the view and return.

Pic 3: Before you reach the observation center, the entrance to the off-road route (Mana Road) on Meuna Kea is on the right (look for signs and 4WD vehicle only)

Pic 4: We didn't complete the route; 1 hr into our drive, we turned around due to getting late (local Ranger tells us plan on 4 hrs). Like I said next time, trip to Mauna Kea needs to be a two day trip: one day to spend time @ the observation center and summit Mauna Kea, and Day 2 off-roading.

Check out my shorts; I think those are illegal in California! Ha! Ha!

Note: going back this year specically to spend time @ Mauna Kea,and enjoy Hawaii of course!

Pic 5: I would rate the trail med with steep climps but mainly dirt road. Check with the Ranger for conditions and avoid taking this trail after hard rain or expected rain.

Pic 6: Day 7 Refreshing stop the South Point on 4WD (the southernmost point in the USA); long drive, rewarded with nice cool breeze and ocean water! It's about a 2 hrs or 75 mile trip from Hilo.

Stop @ the Panaluu Bake Stop to strech out the kids, eat lunch, shave ice before heading out to the South Point. Address: 95-5642 Mamalahoa Hwy, Naalehu, HI for your GPS!

Next time, I would like to car camp @ South Point and then head to Kona. We headed back to our nice vacation home rental at the end of the day!

Pic 7: Day 8: Sunset @ Kona! About 2.5 hrs away from Hilo or 90 miles is Kona. Exellent beaches and snorkeling by the way!

In conclusion:

Enjoyed the trip w/my family; if it was just the guys or gals adventurers, I would adj the agenda to be mix or all (after checking in the hotel upon arrival at nite):

Day 1: Puna: Lava Tree State Park / 4WD to Champagne Pond / Beach Camping / Explore more Puna

Day 2: Kau: Drive to the Volcano National Park / Cabin (first choice for a fee) next camping (free).

Day 3: 4WD to South Point / camping.

Day 4: Drive up to the Mauna Kea Summit / Cabin (for a fee)

Day 5: 4WD in Mauna Kea Forest Reserve / Cabin (first choice for a free) next camping (free)

Day 6: 4WD to Waipio Valley / Check-in hotel for SSS (hot Shower, Shave and enjoy night out at Hilo). Depart the next day!

How can I forget (one of the trip objectives is to finally buy a pcs of land we've been eyeing on for sometime now)!

We closed escrow this week; my wife and I are proud owners of a small 1/4 acrea buildable corner lot in the Big Island Island (not too far from the Champagne Pond and all the adventures covered here).

Electricity and phone line avail.

Water will be catchment system, and sewer will need to be septic for now till the County lines catch up to this area (which the nearly town already has.... County water lines and sewer)!

There is home owners assocation that monitors, governs the CC&R and keeps the community together (which we like, so we don't come back, and see strangers living there, and tent on our lot)! :D

Also there is a house next to our lot (met them, great neightbors) to keep an eye on things, and a few houses around!

Our lot is in Pahoa by the ways (about 1/2 hr away from Hilo and near our vacation rental). We picked this town since it's close to our favorite spots e.g. Champagne pond and has the infracture already e.g. groceries, gas station (including diesel), fish market (where we can get fresh Ahi for sushi since I can't catch a fish in Hawaii to save my life (smile)), farmers market to buy/sell/exchange goods, schools, bank, merchants, etc......

See pic of our lot (seller provided us this copy; we went to check it on this trip, worked out and bought it).

My wife and I want to experience building our own home (plan is to build a comfortable 3-4 bd house); perhaps retirement home, our design, and lil getaway! I'm actually looking forward to building a garage to fit my needs! :) High clearance for sure to allow tall roof rack! Come and visit and perhaps help me build it!

For starters, there is a concrete pad already (if you look at the pic/no the left side); planning to build a lockable shed for storing tools, camping equipment, etc....

More to come on this in the near future..... Certainly, for me and my family to visit every year!

Aloha!

Congrats on the purchase Ron! Hmmm... trip to HI to build a house... that includes free beer right?

Thanks Man! Yes, Steven; free beer and fresh Ahi Tuna for appetizers/dinner! Ok, I can bbq tri-tip or beef steak if Ahi will not cut it for you! :D

Hope to see you there! I think you'll lke the laid back feeling/people @ the Big Island!

Thanks Brian!

If you want to visit our future home @ the Island, let me know and I can give you directions from the town of Pahoa, and/or GPS coords. Perhaps be neighbors! :D

Have fun @ the Big Island. Most likely my wife and I w/kids in tow will be back after the summmer (maybe Oct or Nov when high summer air fares have passed on)!

Take pics and let me know if you are planning to summit/drive-up to Mauna Kea!

Aloha!

• 7 months later...

Would anyone be interested in going?

Going back Feb 2009 - perhaps be able to complete Mana Rd this time with a 2nd vehicle (you) to tag along with me

Harpers rent 4x4s including new this year - FJ Cruisers and H3: http://www.harpershawaii.com/4wd.html#Anchor-Harper's-47857

I know it's not a Land Rover - but not much choice in rentals; shipping your vehicle is expensive unless I am permanently leaving it there (hummm - idea).

I did however send Harper's marketing manager an email asking the possible of adding a Land Rover in their fleet; told them that they most likely pick-up add'l business from fans like me or anyone of us traveling to the Big Island.

Anyways, I am going mid Feb right before the Shaver Lake trip next year.

Just booked my family's flights; $450 r/t via Hawaiian Airlines. Seems airfare to Hawaii has drop some (dipped in oil price) but not a whole lot vs a few weeks ago when I was shopping for rates. Gone are the days I recall $250 r/t via ATA just last year now defunct.

Archived