Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Feb 19-21

When I was a kid living in Tahoe City, we bought a used Series 88" with a plow on it from a friend of my parents who upgraded (err, I mean downgraded) to a new Subaru 4wd station wagon (this was the mid-seventies when the Subies had just hit the market over here). Worked great for clearing the driveway but we took the thing off as our Scottish mechanic told us that Land Rovers had weak frames in the front, you could put anything you wanted on the back but not on the front. (Turned out he was a crook so I never believed a thing he told me after that...!)

Found this for you, Don. Looks right at home on there...

http://www.landroversonly.com/gallery/images/20395/medium/1_100_0602-2.jpg

Nick, here's our version:

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/attachments/f8/27205d1292868095-snow-plow-classic-dsc01407.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like some weather is coming in Wednesday through Thursday -

..WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HANFORD HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING
THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON FOR THE SOUTHERN SIERRA FROM YOSEMITE
NATIONAL PARK TO KINGS CANYON.

* SNOW LEVELS...STARTING OUT NEAR 7000 FEET WEDNESDAY AND LOWERING
TO AROUND 5000 FEET WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...12 TO 18 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET...6 TO 12
INCHES AT 5000 FEET.

* TIMING...THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY EVENING INTO
THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...HUNTINGTON LAKE...TUOLUMNE MEADOWS...SHAVER LAKE.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS...TRAVEL DELAYS AND POSSIBLE ROAD
CLOSURES...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH LOCAL WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES OVER THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 25 TO 35 MPH OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS WITH
GUSTS UP TO 65 MPH ALONG THE SIERRA CREST.

The intersection for Rock Creek road at Dinky Creek is right about 6400'. If the forecast holds that means we may have about 12" of fresh snow sitting on top of the old snow that has melted and re-frozen and turned into garbage during the warm spell we've had the last week or so. Should make things interesting..

Powder on ice sucks. Bring tons of recovery gear and water proof gloves for the snow. You might as well pack like your going snow boarding or skiing.

I've decided to bow out this year. Too many projects taking up all my time right now, and I have a long list of things I need to do to the RRC before going on a trip and it's not looking like I'm going to have time to do them. And now I've got a nasty rear hub seal leak that just popped up, so that's pretty much the straw that broke this camel's back.

I've decided to bow out this year. Too many projects taking up all my time right now, and I have a long list of things I need to do to the RRC before going on a trip and it's not looking like I'm going to have time to do them. And now I've got a nasty rear hub seal leak that just popped up, so that's pretty much the straw that broke this camel's back.

Really? Camel? Seriously?..... Are you trying to pick a racial fight. Lol

Yay, you guys are making me feel better because now I'm not the only broken camel.

Pedram, only you would focus on the word camel to take as a racist comment! I don't even want to hear your thoughts on the Camel Trophy!

Oh you gone did it now.....

Sorry to hear that Dan. Was looking forward to doing some wheeling with you.

I think I've only missed one Shaver trip...maybe two. Hate to miss his one too, but just added up all I need to do to my Rover and it's about three days worth of work, and I'd need a hub seal which I don't have in stock right now, so I'd have to order one. Too few reasons to go right now, and too many not to. "Not" wins.

For anyone else leaving from the south Bay Area, I'm planning on starting from the Newhall Chevron/Starbucks in San Jose (near the airport) at 7:00AM.  I'm heading a little more south than Madera -- I need to pick up my dad in Fresno and should get there near 10:00AM.

Once we head out from there, our next waypoint is through Clovis up to Prather... not sure when everyone else is driving by, but I should be near that town around 11:00AM.  Otherwise, I'll see you all up at camp around noon.

Will bring some firewood to toss in the communal stack.

if anyone needs camp space i think its just me in my site.

Brad from SCLR is thinking about coming up, if he decides he can brave the cold. He's in Bakersfield so its only a 2.5 hour drive for him. I told him there would more than likely be room for him somewhere in one of the sites..

That sucks Dan, it's our return after we did the first 2 or 3 with you...

Anyway, I understand, hope to catch up with you in person soon enough.

David

Sorry to miss you David. Haven't seen you since I stopped by your place just before you left for Spain, we definitely have some catching up to do!

I think I've only missed one Shaver trip...maybe two. Hate to miss his one too, but just added up all I need to do to my Rover and it's about three days worth of work, and I'd need a hub seal which I don't have in stock right now, so I'd have to order one.

Dan,

I've never heard such lame excuses .... hub seal?  Katrina doesn't even have those ... and at the moment Lucas is trying to replace the winch, in the rain, with fading light ....

Come on ... reconsider .... or we'll talk about you in your absence ..... and invent all sorts of lies ....

Regards,

Graeme

Dan,

I've never heard such lame excuses .... hub seal?  Katrina doesn't even have those ... and at the moment Lucas is trying to replace the winch, in the rain, with fading light ....

Come on ... reconsider .... or we'll talk about you in your absence ..... and invent all sorts of lies ....

Regards,

Graeme

Yeah, you don't want to know what Fred has to say about you behind your back.

Archived