Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Feb 19-21

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is definitely a good idea to have multiple groups however if there is actually deep snow then we will most likely not make it very far.   In the years we had deep snow (several feet) only a few people made it to the trail head.    That being said it is still lots of fun to play in the snow either way.

Just stumbled across this - a huge group made a run at Bald Mountain last weekend.  They didn't make it to the trailhead, but that's more likely due to the giant traffic jam from all the rigs than the actual conditions.

Great videos and I am afraid this will be the case on our trip.  This trail seem to be getting more popular over the years and if there is that much snow, i doubt we will get very far even if we spit into groups. 

Have we consider exploring other trails around the area?   It will be nice to explore other trails less popular.  

AA

Great videos and I am afraid this will be the case on our trip.  This trail seem to be getting more popular over the years and if there is that much snow, i doubt we will get very far even if we spit into groups. 

Have we consider exploring other trails around the area?   It will be nice to explore other trails less popular.  

AA

lol I was just going to post the videos. All other trails are closed for winter but there is the road on the other side of Dinkey creek rd

Question about the road leading to Shaver. In the past years I have been going, I didn't notice any actual chain controlled areas. Does anyone else have more info on this?

Lutz,

I don't see my name on the list, I plan to go with the family and already have reservations on the village (cabin). I thought I had RSVP already. I'll check.

Regarding controls, I bet they'll be there if it is snowing hard or if it is all frozen and dangerous...

• 2 weeks later...

When there's a good amount of snow on the ground (as is most likely going to be the case this year...I hope!) it winds up not really being a problem as we rarely get beyond the trailhead and up onto the actual trail. With the snow and large groups, it becomes very slow going. Plus, there is usually only one major track through the snow so it's easy enough to follow and not get off-course.

doesn't look like the repeater in shaver is hooked up to anything.heres a list of repeater in Clovis that are connected ti IRLP.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/LocationSearch.php?state_id=06&type=city&loc=Clovis

I will be monitoring the shaver lake repeater and NCLR ham

Shavers Lakes Reapeater

146.8200- 141.3 Shaver Lake Fresno KE6JZ

Archived