Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Feb 19-21

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the other half of the spot I'm in... I believe it's still avail.

I don't know about a nicer tent, but we've got the ol' Coleman 6-person in good shape and can truck that down to Shaver for you if needed.

I'm open to that, Its going to be just me and Phil coming up, So if you guys dont mind I'll split the cost of the site with ya, I think I even have 4 $10 shower cards not used from last year lol

• 3 weeks later...

:(  Looks like I'm going to miss my first Shaver trip in 7 years. My mom got pretty sick just before she was to come out for Christmas. She has since switched her reservation fly out here on her birthday, which is the same weekend as Shaver. Well its the 23rd, but that's in the middle of the week.

I have already made a site reservation, so if someone wants to put it in their name, we can coordinate that.

:(  Looks like I'm going to miss my first Shaver trip in 7 years. My mom got pretty sick just before she was to come out for Christmas. She has since switched her reservation fly out here on her birthday, which is the same weekend as Shaver. Well its the 23rd, but that's in the middle of the week.

I have already made a site reservation, so if someone wants to put it in their name, we can coordinate that.

Booo.  Where's the un-like button?

Hope mom is doing OK now.

trying to decide if i want to take the RTT and pitch, put away, pitch, put away or take the oztent and put it in the snow.

I always said that if I got an RTT to accompany my Oztent, I would use the Oztent when our club had a base camp, and the RTT when we're doing waypoint to waypoint expedition-style travel.

Following that rule, I'd be setting up my Oztent for Shaver.

I always said that if I got an RTT to accompany my Oztent, I would use the Oztent when our club had a base camp, and the RTT when we're doing waypoint to waypoint expedition-style travel.

Following that rule, I'd be setting up my Oztent for Shaver.

That is the direction i have been leaving too

Question about chains.... I know absolutely nothing about going wheeling in the snow. I'm in a P38 running 33" MTs.

What kind of chains would I want to run with moderately wide open lugs?

Do I need them on all 4 wheels?

Anything about chain sizing to consider with airing down?

Anything else I should know?

Chad, you most likely won't need chains, but I believe the law says you have to carry them in the vehicle when driving in a chain controlled area even in a four-wheel-drive vehicle with snow tires. I've never had to chain up at Shaver, though some people will chain up on the trail, sometimes just two wheels, sometimes all four. My feeling about that is that it's fine for a while, but when you do get stuck, the chains get you dug in and stuck worse than without them. I take pretty basic chains, not even sure what type they are...they're in a sealed bag and I'ver never opened them!

Hi, 

Do we have enough spots reserved or should i reserve my own spot?  If anyone has spot available on the site reserved let me know, don't mind sharing the cost.  

Antonio, you should take over my reservation as I'm unable to make it this year. Send me an email and we can sort it out.

Question about chains.... I know absolutely nothing about going wheeling in the snow. I'm in a P38 running 33" MTs.

What kind of chains would I want to run with moderately wide open lugs?

Do I need them on all 4 wheels?

Anything about chain sizing to consider with airing down?

Anything else I should know?

I have 2 sets of RUD chains and haven't used them once. They are $$$, pretty easy to install and come highly recommended.

Really they won't do you much good unless the snow is under 4-6" deep. Without a hard surface underneath to grab, they just plow you deeper, faster as Dan mentioned.

On the way home from NV last month, I passed through 2 chain controls along I-80. Only the first guy asked a question, where was my 4x4 switch. I think if you have M + S rated tires and you need chains, they will close the road before you are required to use them.

When using chains, you DO NOT want to air down your tires. It's either or. The amount of sidewall deflection will break the links, and the chain will never be as tight as it should be around the tire.

With 33" tires you have lots of sidewall to air down with. Don't just drop straight to 10 psi. Start around 18 and see what the conditions are like. If it's really loose, or chewed up from the trucks in front of you, air down a few more lbs.

Here is the official CADOT word on chains:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROLS:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

SNOW-TREAD TIRES:

The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

Seldom does DOT/CHP issue an R3 chain control - they generally just close the road all together instead.  

As Brenton said above, R2 says you're good to go with a 4wd that has snow rated tires but you are supposed to carry chains with you even if not in use.

On ice chains would certainly offer better grip than any snow tire short of maybe full studded tires.  And some people will use chains as 'paddles' in soupy mud or snow when off-road.   I recall a couple years ago at Shaver we had an icy hill climb on the trail that got polished up pretty good  by early trucks and by the time the later trucks got to it things were looking pretty sketchy.  I was able to drive my LR3 up on Duratracs at about 18 psi (much lower than I would normally run) while some others chained up.  A few w/o chains or the easy button (later model traction control) did have some trouble with the hill though.

Just FYI, the LR3/4/RRS cannot use 'normal' chains even stock.  Dealers sell a re-branded Scandinavian (?) brand chain set that does not wrap around the inner sidewall of the tire.  It's very trick, but very expensive.  I know Michal has a set but he may be the only one in the club. 

Brenton sorry to hear about your mom and hope all is well.

Chad, I totally agree with everyone about the chains. Personally I have never had the day that I needed chains myself. But I have a set laying around here somewhere. Opened one to look at it and try to plan an idea of how to use it before I got there. Never hurts to practice before a trip. But on the other hand, two years ago at Shaver, Michal with his LR4 and redRover with the classic used theirs on the trails with us. I have to say Jared with his stock street tires needed every bit of traction they could get. So the chains helped them get traction on the last leg of a icy hill. In your P38, you might not need to worry. If you have the 4.6L motor just use the power mode. Check with Antonio, but I know there's a huge power loss of you don't use it.

I'm still trying to figure out if my truck will ready by then. If not, most likely not, I'll check in with the wife is she still wants to attend. If it's possible I would like to take the GM. If not I'll ride shotgun or just stay home. I'm fine either way. I can always do my own trip later in the year.

sorry to hear you cant make it Brenton you and Quake will be missed. I have updated list. With the amount of trucks going we will probably need a second trail leader. Let me know if anybody wants to lead second group.

I think a 2nd group is a VERY good idea.  Perhaps even 3 groups if we have enough rigs.  I honestly think about 4 is the max if you want to make any real headway.

If worst comes to worst I'll volunteer to lead, but I'm not really the man for the job.  A- I'm driving a fat little piggy of a truck and B- I'm likely to get lost anyway.  :)

I am however up for leaving as early as possible to make tracks for the group following.

Archived