• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately none of us are likely to get there early since everybody is coming after work and it's a fairly long drive for most.  Depending on flight delays I could possibly be there by 7 but that would take some luck.

Michele is going to see if she can get an earlier flight on Friday.  If so, we'll be able to get to camp a little earlier and stake out an area.  At least as much as one rig can stake.

I'm planning to do trail clearing and will bring cutting tools.  I think Brenton said he was on paint detail.  I'm not sure what Michele or anybody else has in mind.

I'm preparing for painting on Sat; I plan on doing trail clearing only on Sunday.

Erin & I are also coming up on Friday (barring any changes in plans) and, while we probably won't beat anyone up there due to traffic, we'll be 'efficient' on the drive up.

Good morning everyone, a couple of things:

1. Due to bay area traffic and the long drive, we're going to show up tomorrow at 9AM and camp on Saturday night

2. Just a reminder -- if you live in the area and want to help for the day, just come on by.  We'll be at the Westside Staging area at 9 AM tomorrow.

Thanks

Grrrr.....may be trouble with Michele's flight.  

Who all is coming in tonight?  I know Brenton is.  Anybody else or is everybody coming Saturday morning and camping only Sat night?

My arrival tonight is looking more and more doubtful.  It looks like Michele is going to be having airplane fun and may not get back to Sacramento until this evening.

We have a 3-3.5 hr drive to get there, so if that's the case we'll probably just head out early Saturday.  

Booo....

QUICK general UPDATE:  Please remember to bring along your Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) -- have proper

• Hand protection (gloves)

• Foot protection (boots)

• Eye protection (safety goggles)

If applicable:

• Ear protection (chainsaw guys/gals)

• Head protection (safety helmet/hard hat)

• Face protection (face mask)

If you don't have something, don't let that stop you from coming out -- I'll bring extra.  Just send me a PM.

QUICK weather UPDATE: 

If you haven't looked at the forecast, be advised -- there is a high likelihood of rain on Saturday evening (90%). 

Thanks -- let's shoot for no injuries, agreeable weather & some good work done by NCLR...  

See you tomorrow at South Cow Mountain Westside Staging Area -- 9:00AM.

PPE chart.jpg

Saturday.png

Sunday.png

QUICK general UPDATE:  Please remember to bring along your Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) -- have proper

• Hand protection (gloves)

• Foot protection (boots)

• Eye protection (safety goggles)

If applicable:

• Ear protection (chainsaw guys/gals)

• Head protection (safety helmet/hard hat)

• Face protection (face mask)

Brenton, so you're not bored camping solo tonight; Jared's post reminded of an experiment in personal protection bubble wrap; Imagine rolling down Cow Mountain on that :)

post-410-0-81853600-1446868194_thumb.jpeg

Well, 10:30 and I finally got everything packed.  The LR3 is acting annoying...for some reason now it thinks it's hitting an obstruction every time I try to put it in access mode.  I can manually deflate all the corners and lower it right down on the bumpstops, so I know it's not binding or hitting anything yet it's still acting up.  So I decided I'd reinstall the stock sensor rods and do a calibration...which ate up way too much time and didn't actually work since with the stock rods I can't even put it in normal height without it thinking it's hitting.  Grrrr.....  I suspect it has something to do with the strut extensions I installed a week or so ago but I can't see anything actually causing the issue.  I did drive it about 30 miles or so with no issues and I don't think it will cause any problems but I still burned a few hours this afternoon looking for the cause.

So up at 3 tomorrow, off at 4, plan to be at camp about 7:30-8.  See you guys there.

Oh, and I'm bringing some firewood but if anybody else wants to bring some more wouldn't be bad since it gets dark so early now.

All,

Since nobody has done a write-up, I thought I'd jot down a few words during my lunchtime.  I haven't roof-read it, so excuse the spilling and grimatical errors.

Cow Mountain Maintenance and MORG – November (6th), 7th, 8th.

Lucas and I discussed leaving on Friday night, but we couldn't make the math work. A three hour journey at a good speed on a clear road, but on a Friday night leaving Palo Alto at 4:30pm would at best get us to Ukiah at 8pm and more likely 9pm or later. By the time we'd had dinner it would be nearer 10:00pm and there really didn't seem to be much point in that, and we guessed most people would realize this at the last moment and bail too (we have experience of that from last time, when we camped alone).

We set off on Saturday morning at around 7:45am. We had originally planned to leave at 5:30 or 6, but it was dark and cold, so it really didn't seem a 'fun' thing to do. We ate breakfast, packed the final things, and headed north in Katrina, with half a tank of gas.

We arrived at Ukiah around 10am, having had a clear, fast run. Lucas had been leaning on the corners in the hope that it would stop the suspension sway! A quick stop for gas, coffee, a few supplies, and the last visit to sanitary plumbing for the next 24 or so hours, and we headed over to Cow Mountain. Memories of running both the trails and access roads at far too high speed during the Mendo Rally earlier in the year were forefront in my mind.

We pulled up at the West Staging Area just before 11:00am, to find just two Rovers. Brenton's D2, RedRover (Erin/Jared). The other two Rovers, that of Don (D3) and John (D4) were off on one of the trails doing some clearing.

Painting was going well, with a warm day and slight breeze making for ideal painting conditions. One structure was almost completed, and the loading area was just being started.

Lucas and I jumped in to assist and good progress was made for two or so hours until we ran out of paint. While the crew took a well-earned lunch break, Sarah (BLM ) went to get more paint. Lucas and I went off to find the trail maintenance crew.

Don (/Michele) and John were about ½ a mile down a trail that was probably trail 4. They had made good progress but had killed two chainsaws. One had a mashed chain, the other a cracked tensioner. After attempts at swapping the bars (foiled by the tensioning holes being in a slightly different place), we managed to get the one with the broken tensioner working sufficiently to use.

Clearing trails is a slow process, especially when it was clear that nothing significant has been done on these trails for many years. The trail we were clearing is the same one that NCLR took on the last foray to Cow Mountain. Memorable events on the trail on that occasion were Pedram losing his lower radiator hose (caused by broken motor mounts I think I remember), and one of the series vehicles needing winching up one of the steeper hills (more on that hill later). By the time we could see the sun start to go down it was nearing 5pm and we were probably only a mile or so in.

We all headed back to the staging area, where we met up with the painting crew, who had made pretty good progress, finishing the loading bay, some fencing and most of the second shade structure. We all headed down to camp to set up for the night. A calm, enjoyable evening was had, but it was clear that everyone was tired from the long day. An early night was had by all. Just after midnight the rain started, continuing through the night until around 7am. We all staggered around like zombies, cooked and ate breakfast, made a fire for warmth (it was now raining again!), packed up our tents and contemplated what to do. Clearly, finishing the painting was not going to be an option, and the rain and heavy mist that rolled around the area was far from inviting.

John left first, with the plan to leave a note for Sarah at the West Staging Area. Jared, Erin, Don and Michele, decided to take the lower exit from the park, towards Lakeport. Lucas and I decided to head out of the west entrance too. We left some 10 or 15 minutes after John, and were surprised to catch up with him at the junction to the main trail. It was clear that with street tires, the LR4 was having major traction problems. Katrina (D1) was managing well, but clearly losing traction at times. We were very glad to have the Ashcroft TBD (torque biasing differential) in the rear (mud is precisely the terrain these are designed for). Following John through the park was quite educational. On a couple of occasions the LR4 went semi-sideways almost instantly (to an angle of 45 degrees at least), it must have been quite scary with a gully on one side and long drop-off on the other.

Lucas and I said goodbye to John at the entrance and decided to head for the trail we'd helped clear the previous day. At least we knew the terrain, and we could always turn back if it was too slippery. As we approached the trail entrance we saw Sarah in the BLM truck coming the other way. We hopped out and had a quick chat. It was still drizzling with rain. Sarah mentioned that if the rain continued the park would be closed.

Lucas and I proceeded down the newly-cleared trail, having few problems until we got to the uncleared part where brush was running down both sides of the vehicle. The sun was shining now, the rain had stopped and the mist clearing over the landscape was stunning. Then we remembered the hill that had required the series truck to be winched up earlier in the year. Turn back or go on? Of course, we went on.

It was a struggle to get up the first part as it was slippery clay-like mud, but only on the surface and we cut through it. We considered airing down (we were running 45psi) but that would probably have hindered traction, except for perhaps allowing the tread to clear out some of the mud. Then came the tough part. A failed attempt up saw us sliding backwards down the hill at far too high speed. We stopped and walked ahead, it was a tough decision. Go on, or go back? We already had a tough slippery section behind us and would have to back down (I was told that I'd be doing that if we chose that option!). Just as we'd decided to try to go upwards I lost my footing, barely recovered without falling flat in the mud, and then ran 50 feet down the hill before finding enough traction to stop myself again. As Lucas walked back he did likewise, sitting down in the mud. He picked himself up and promptly lost his footing again, running down the hill as I had done previously. It must have looked quite comical.

We made it up the slippery hill, surprisingly easily. Continuing down the trail we realized that we needed to continue the trail maintenance all the way along here. The brush began to rub on both sides, just like it had earlier in the year, but quite a lot worse now. We started to see two sets of wheel tracks in the mud that were obviously made by something like two quads, but with quite a wide track. Nothing else had come through here since the rain. We made it back out to the more major trail and looked at the map to see how we could getup to the radio tower (“translator tower†on the map).

We drove to the end of the road, and realized that the map was hopeless. From the campground there, we found the two trails (not as they were on the map). Walking down one, marked as a jeep/quad/mc trail, it was clear that we'd never make it due to the over-growth.

The second trail looked good. We asked two guys with Razrs if they knew the trail, but they didn't. Some motorcyclists said that it was narrow but steep, and if we walked 50 yards we'd see the worst part. Having walked it we decided to give it a try. Yes, it was narrow and steep, with nowhere to turn around, but we could always back down …. maybe.

Just as we had decided to give it a try, one of the riders mentioned that maybe the worst part was the “step-up†at the top. We didn't need to hear that!

So off we set, with the brush getting closer and closer. Then closer and closer. Than scratchier and scratchier. Then, both mirrors folded in. I suggested we should go back and Lucas wasn't too eager (since we now had no mirrors to see backwards!).

At last we could see a small clearing, where the trail went straight on or to the right. To the right was clearly motorcycle only. Straight on got narrower. Just then we heard the two Razrs behind us. We stopped at the clearing and chatted to the owners. They were amazed that we'd got up the trail and at the articulation we had. They had been on three wheels much of the time, as they watched us articulate over the bumps.

We walked forward along the trail but realized that the limbs were over an inch thick and we'd never make it through without serious bodywork damage. We were happy to let them pass. They walked the trail and decided it was too narrow for them!

Turning all three vehicles around was a logistical feat. There was barely room to move forward so that each could edge around and do a multi-point turn.

We headed back down, then looked at the map. We decided to head up to the tower by another route. We'd gone partially up that route the previous day while looking for the trail maintenance group.

We had a good but challenging run, then found the route we wanted was closed off. Looking at the “waterfall†above, we wouldn't have tried to get up there alone anyway (where's Colin when you need him?).

We continued on, rather apprehensively, as we thought this might become the other end of the trail we'd been up previously (as it got narrower and narrower). Then, all of a sudden, we were back on the main trail. We'd looked up this trail and decided it was only suitable for quads!

We consulted the map again, and made a mental note that these trails need to be cleared or they will fall out of use and soon be good for motorcycles only, if that. The overhanging brush on many of the trails is dangerous to motorcycles and when they stop running them, the trails will grow over in a year or two.

Time was pushing on. It was 1:30pm already. Time to head home. We stopped in Ukiah for ice cream and a sandwich. A good run home saw us back in San Carlos at 4:30pm.

A great weekend, but we only touched the surface on the trail maintenance. Four people isn't enough. A team is need, with two people going ahead with chain saws to cut the large stuff, then two following to throw the limbs, then two more with pole saws and/or sawsalls, then two more to clear, and finally two or four to trim the small stuff manually. Really a team of twelve people is needed and a speed of half a mile per four hours might be achievable on the densely overgrown areas, twice that on the lightly over-grown trails.

Loads of pictures here.  Lucas seems to take three identical photos each time (he doesn't remember when film cost so much you actually made sure every picture counted).  If you click on the first picture it should go into "full size" slide-show mode.  Maybe.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzcrJkWCXAAPYklsS2VMSXlvLUU&usp=sharing

Regards,

Graeme

Nice write-up Graeme.  I didn't realize you went out again on Sunday.  We had a pretty easy run down to the river and then went into Lakeport for a less than stellar breakfast at a local diner.  We did have a little slip-n-slide on the way out but nothing like what John had.  We too were at street pressures since I was too lazy to air down.

I would love to be able to open up more of the trails at Cow Mountain since I think it could be a really cool place to visit from time to time, but like you said we really need a full crew to make any progress.  All those small limbs and branches are just a nightmare to deal with - I'll take cutting logs and trees any day over cutting manzanita and other spikey scrub.

Did someone say cutting logs and trees?

What a coincidence. While we were painting on Saturday I asked Sarah what other projects could we help with. She said we can name some or get in with something they already have planned. With 65,000 ares burned this year all around Cow Mountain, Sarah said that they need to do "Fuel Reduction". Basically, the amount of trees in the area need to be thinned so there isn't as much fuel to feed the fires should they start.

I asked what exactly is involved with that, and was told that they need to fell trees with a chainsaw, and then winch them out of the way/area. Hmm, chainsaws and winching. Yeah, I think we might have a few people who would be interested in a job like that I said. Sarah needs a couple months lead time before we would come out for that, and agreed to start making plans for in February for a Spring timeframe to come back out.

They are desperate to have any volunteers come out to help at Cow Mountain. They have 275,000 acres to manage with 15 people. I asked if there were many clubs that come out to do what we were doing that weekend. She said the Mendo 4x4 club comes out maybe once a year for maintenance, but it's usually only at the obstacle course. There's also a dirt bike group who does some work as well, but again it's only for their event. No one comes out to just paint or clear a trail that needs it.

Sarah was very happy and excited to have the NCLR Club there. From the first day she went to Cow Mtn., about a year ago when she started working there, she wanted to have the posts and shade structures painted. Sarah also mentioned what some of the gas-hats do when they're bored and drunk; try to pull down the shade structures with chains wrapped around one of the posts. I was in disbelief when she said that. I can't fathom why people do stuff like that. Well I do. They're drunk gas-hats, or gas-holes. She hopes that by giving the park a bit of a facelift, that it will start to attract a better group of people. I was happy to hear a "Thank you" from 3 different people over the course of the day. It's not a lot, but I would have been happy with just one.

Sometime this week the Budget Supervisor is coming to the Ukiah BLM office and will get to see our handy work. With any luck our little improvement will have a positive impact on their budgetary decisions made for the park. They don't get a ton of money which is why they need to get more volunteers out there. This was a great first step in helping with that, and I'm looking forward to going out in the Spring to make more improvements. It's tough work, but without it, we'll continue to see more and more of our trails and parks get closed down and I think we can all agree that's the last thing we want to see happen.

Until next time...

Archived