Yippee ki yea?

Gotrovr

Nice! What are you looking for new tire choices?

basically I need a 33" tire

Easy route is to stay with current wolf steelee's 6.5x16 and go with 255/85 BFG MT. 285's and up would require new wheels at least 7" or more preferable 8" wide.

2 things I have yet to accomplish before tires

1) trim the front part of my Rovertyme sliders to eliminate potential wheel rub and

2) purchase an adapter mount for larger spare tire rather than turn the current mount upside down.

You will need a full 3" lift to fit 33's with factory alloys, and even higher if you went to after market steel wheels.

Yup! Thx Gary! Setting aside funds now. Will be talking to Tony when the time comes. I also like the Rovertym rear bumper for DIIs: http://www.rovertym.com/d2rearbumper.htm

You will need a full 3" lift to fit 33's with factory alloys, and even higher if you went to after market steel wheels.

What is your thinking behind that Gary?:) After-market steel wheels usually have an offset but you would also need spacers to run 33's on alloys. My Trek steelies have an offset (10mm I think). Are you thinking that more is needed for steel wheel for stuffing the tire up into the fender well? Wouldn't longer bumpstops take care of some of that? But then you'd lose some travel with down travel being related to the up travel of the opposite wheel.

My current tires waiting to go on at 13.5" wide (33's). Wider than I want but I got a good deal on them already mounted to the Trek rims. I may go ahead with some 10.5" 35's instead and sell the 33's on craigslist...

With 3" lift, no sway bar, steel wheels and 285/75's you get rubbing on the rear fenders on a DII, just ask Chuck. This is because of the reduced offset forcing the tires to far out.

With a 3" lift, stock alloys and 285/75's I never had a rubbing issue on my DII.

I imagine you could limit your suspension travel with Bump stops, sway bars etc and eliminate the rubbing, but you are giving up articulation. It is a personal choice thing.

with alloy wheels unless you have some sort of spacer or offset rims. The offset rims I have push things out a bit too far, ergo more rubbing. I am not sure if I was only pushed out with the spacers I had and my alloy wheels if I would still be OK or not - i think I probably would.

Another option would be to find a tire that was skinnier but still gave you the height you are looking for out of 285/75s -- I am not sure what the actual tire size would be..

-

Congrats on passing smog, were you really worried it wouldn't pass?

255/85s are my next tire choice also.....along with 4.11s and hd axles.

Steve

Yes, I'm a little gun shy sort of speak... long history, saving story for a camp fire

Archived