Wrenching day @ British Recyclers, 5-30

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend the 'scenic' way - literally.  I think 160 is officially designated as a CA senic highway.

Take 4 west to 160 north.  From Antioch on up to Sac it's pretty much all levee roads.  Plus (if you look at just the right time) you'll be able to see my place as you roll through Walnut Grove.

And they just repaved a bunch of 160.  You know, in case you are driving (riding) something more sporting.

Just don't expect any actual curves.  The levee you'll be on will be the highest point for miles around.

Laser guns and the like have not been a big problem in the last few years, ever since the Isleton PD was disbanded.  They had been running a well known speed trap that made money, but failing to do things like bust the grow-house in the little town of a few square blocks. 

You'll find your route switches back and forth over the river, but often you can go up either side.  For example, just coming out of Isleton your official route will cross over to the west side of the river.  I'd recommend staying on the east side.  Both just go up the levee to Walnut Grove, but the east side actually has some passing lanes and a few more curves. 

I'd probably recommend something like this-  It's longer though so it would take more time.  Maybe on your return trip?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/British+Recyclers,+Omec+Circle,+Rancho+Cordova,+CA/Chevron,+510+Newhall+St,+San+Jose,+CA+95110/@37.9601274,-122.1433185,9z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!1m1!1s0x809ae8030605afcb:0x6d3d7ba69f3464e8!2m2!1d-121.259096!2d38.571453!3m4!1m2!1d-121.5321208!2d38.2679654!3s0x809ab154d2f511b5:0xbe53316bbf1a8485!3m4!1m2!1d-121.5379683!2d38.23878!3s0x809ab17d3bfa268d:0xce0db79f8a54a535!1m5!1m1!1s0x808fcb758aaef139:0xebe9ca9da09804e5!2m2!1d-121.92284!2d37.351143!3e0

Graeme, 84 looks interesting for one section just north of the ferry (which is just north of Rio Vista) but I haven't been over there in probably 10 years.  Last I remember, the road was heavily patchworked with pothole fixes and not much fun for a sportbike.  Better for more of a long-travel ADV sort of thing.  After that one section though it becomes typical farmland road.  Go dead straight for several miles.  Make 90* turn.  Go straight again.  Turn 90*....repeat.  It does run up along the deep water channel though, so you might have the odd experience of seeing a ship appear to cruise through a field.

For bonus points, you can stop by Al the Wop's or Foster's Big Horn for dinner.  Both are full of, er, 'Delta Flavor'.

Actually, now that I think about it Foster's might not be the best place for RedRover and Erin to stop.  It's not what you'd call vegetarian friendly, though I have no idea if they have vegetarian offerings on the menu.

Al's-

http://www.locketown.com/als.htm

http://www.yelp.com/biz/al-the-wops-locke

Foster's-

http://www.fostersbighorn.com/FBH_Web_Site/Home.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11177

Wanted to thank everyone who came out, Had a great time. Was unaware I'd get this badly sun burnt but I look like a tomato now .

Not sure if Brenton caught it or not but he is our first recipient of the "Cowboys Buts drive me nuts" license plate frame. Its now up to him to pass it on secretly to someone else

http://i.imgur.com/pHS8BqD.jpg

Wanted to thank everyone who came out, Had a great time. Was unaware I'd get this badly sun burnt but I look like a tomato now .

Not sure if Brenton caught it or not but he is our first recipient of the "Cowboys Buts drive me nuts" license plate frame. Its now up to him to pass it on secretly to someone else

http://i.imgur.com/pHS8BqD.jpg

LOL!!!!

On a serious note, why do people censor out license plates on the internet? It's not like they aren't on display for everyone else to see...

Curious... does Brenton have to go through the Castro to get to his house?   :lol:

Good event.  Thanks Justin for hosting us once again.  We had a good turnout -- a lot of people getting their trucks ready for Summer or Oregon (two weeks away!)

I think we completed

• 2 mobile radios

• a new set of LR3 control arms

• 1¾ of an LR3 front bushing Polybush update

• a mysterious rattle corrected

• a new O2 sensor for a Range Rover Classic

• a new exterior pillar trim for a Discovery Series II

• a brake line flush for a Disco I

• a fixed overheating engine issue (a bunch of good :lr: karma picked up by assisting Justin's customers' recently-purchased Disco II)

• an aborted rear bumper install

• 3½ pizzas eaten

• Too many donuts to count (I personally ate more of them than I am willing to admit here.)

Tom will post the SmugMug link for the event gallery and I'll put the few photos I have in there afterward.

Just got home... totally sunburned, smell of oil and dirt from Frank Raines and Hollister...  :blink:  ;)

I'd make that 1/2 a front suspension poly bush job completed.  Driver's side is done; going back tomorrow to finish the passenger side.  It should go much faster without so many other projects going on at the same time.

Sorry I didn't get much time to BS with everybody - I managed to stay pretty busy on LR3 stuff all day.  I knew a lot was going on around the place but had no idea all the jobs that got done.  This might just be the biggest wrenching day ever!

Huge thanks to Justin for hosting as usual.  I also need to put a big thanks out to Rob who spent way more time working on poly bushes than I'm sure he thought he would.  :)

Curious... does Brenton have to go through the Castro to get to his house?   :lol:

Good event.  Thanks Justin for hosting us once again.  We had a good turnout -- a lot of people getting their trucks ready for Summer or Oregon (two weeks away!)

I think we completed

• 2 mobile radios

• a new set of LR3 control arms

• 1¾ of an LR3 front bushing Polybush update

• a mysterious rattle corrected

• a new O2 sensor for a Range Rover Classic

• a new exterior pillar trim for a Discovery Series II

• a brake line flush for a Disco I

• a fixed overheating engine issue (a bunch of good :lr: karma picked up by assisting Justin's customers' recently-purchased Disco II)

• an aborted rear bumper install

• 3½ pizzas eaten

• Too many donuts to count (I personally ate more of them than I am willing to admit here.)

Tom will post the SmugMug link for the event gallery and I'll put the few photos I have in there afterward.

Just got home... totally sunburned, smell of oil and dirt from Frank Raines and Hollister...  :blink:  ;)

I think we also did a hillbilly alignment on a D1 (Jason) and fixed an oil leak on another D1 (Jarrel)

Did we get a final head count?

Jared

Erin

Brenton

Ron

Pedram

Jarrel

Jason

Nick

Rob

Lucas

Graeme

Anudeep

Don

Michele

Tim

Justin

Frank (?)

Allison

Jethro (sorry, can't remember your real name!)

Probably a few more.....crazy!

ROFLMFAO!!!

I opened that rear door so many times yesterday and never noticed it, even after you first showed it to me!!! The dog is eagerly waiting for his walk and I can't wait to see it on the truck. Haha still laughing at that one Justin.

I have some pics that will get posted after the walk.

Guest Pedram
Thanks everyone. Sorry Don if I slowed your progress while replacing a seal. I didn't expect to replace a seal but Jarell helped me with my brake master and bleeding the system of water and rust. He grew some leg muscles so he got his exercise for the day. Thanks Jason also for the help. Sorry I couldn't stay longer. I would of been there all night fixing others problems but I had a fire to put out at home.

No problems - went back today and finished up the other side.  Went much faster this time, even working along 90% of the time and occasionally breaking off to help Jarell or Justin with their projects.  Oh yeah, Jarell came by today as well.  :)

Tomorrow the truck goes off to have the error codes sorted out, and I'll have them do a 4 wheel alignment while they have it.  It definitely drives a bit 'off' right now since changing everything.

Naturally it threw a fit as soon as I left and got up to speed.  All sorts of warning lights came on and assorted error messages started  popping up.  I pulled over and scanned them and had a couple dozen random errors from brakes to airbags to seatbelts to suspension....God only knows what else.  I cleared them all off, shut it down, fired back up and haven't had any errors return - well, other than the 2 I started with.  I swear, the computers on this truck will be the death of me eventually.

....God only knows what else.  I cleared them all off, shut it down, fired back up and haven't had any errors return - well, other than the 2 I started with.  I swear, the computers on this truck will be the death of me eventually.

Don,

While trying to find info on the height sensors, I came across many cases of this ... and people finally giving up.  Often, every few months a dealer would change something but the problem (or another one) would return a few weeks or months later.  Then, after a few years of this the guarantee ran out, then when another problem came along (often the same one as before), Land Rover denied coverage and people just got it fixed (as before) and sold the vehicle.  Sad.

Graeme

Guest Pedram
Well from yesterday talking with that new guy with the LR3..... Name forgotten already...... He's planning to become a member soon and..... And convert to coils. First one that I know of. And he's willing to try it. Curious how that goes.

Well from yesterday talking with that new guy with the LR3..... Name forgotten already...... He's planning to become a member soon and..... And convert to coils. First one that I know of. And he's willing to try it. Curious how that goes.

Pedram,

That isn't too bad, since some trucks were made that way and the ECU (or whatever name they give it now) can be told about that (just like it can on a D2).  It is the "you pinched a wire under the seat" fault that causes problems .....

Graeme

Archived