Contra Costa Sheriff's Search and Rescue (SAR) Team

LandRonB

Well, I decided to apply for the Contra Costa Sheriff's Search and Rescue (SAR) Team. :)

I talked about retiring in my prev post, and do something else e.g. 2nd career, volunteer job..... However, not ready to retire.

So even though not retired, figured I can volunteer and do some good community deed involving the outdoors.

Been thinking about volunteering for my county's Search and Rescue team, so last week, I pulled the trigger, contacted my Sheriff's office, submited my app and now waiting for the background check to clear/be completed, and approval from the Sheriff's volunteer Sargent.

- - - In the Meantime - - -

Why I am Joining?

Being lost or in need of rescue is a terrifying experience. Can lead to a slow and horrible death. Search and Rescue (SAR) team is comprised of volunteer experts in search and rescue and disaster response and is always dedicated to finding lost and injured persons by the most efficient means possible.

The SAR task is to train personnel/volunteers to a high state of readiness in preparation for an emergency. SAR personnel/volunteers are trained in search skills, land navigation, logistics, search resource allocation and more - all which I look forward to learning new skills and at the same time help people/my community!

SAR utilizing the expertise of its members provide coordination, support, communications and specialized resources needed for successful search and rescue and disaster response efforts.

The sooner we respond to a lost person emergency, the better the chances to locate that person are. And, the sooner that we locate the victim and expedite them to medical facilities, the better their chances are for survival.

In the winter weather this is even more critical and, an immediate dispatch is essential!

SAR Operations involve several different specialties; here are some of the listings:

- Search Dogs

- Mountain Bicycle Operations

- Technical Rescue

- 4x4 Off Road Vehicle Operations

- Equestrain

- Emergency Medical

- Logistics

- Training (trainer)

- Public Relations

- Computer Support

You know which ones I picked right: Technical Rescue and 4x4 Off-Road Operations! :D Comes with the territory!

- - - Ok more to come on this - - -

Anyone else doing this or interested? Like to hear from you!

Very Cool Ron! In my single days I was involved with San Mateo County Search and Rescue. It was a great bunch of guys and gals and we had a great time with it. I will tell you though that it can be both quite thrilling when your search is successful, it can also be quite strenuous as the hours can be long and the conditions inclimate. Get yourself in tip top physical condition and have a great experience with it.

Ron,

I belong to Tehama Co. SAR. Every sheriff's dept. has different requirements/qualifications to belong to their unit. You'll probly find that you'll be competing with fire and LEO graduates who want to get on permanent with your county. Tehama is more relaxed, drives our training officer from San Jose nuts!

Good Luck

• 4 months later...
What does the BOD think of including one of Chuck's great new brochures with each membership application and renewal?

Great idea, Gary. One is probably enough in the new member pack. Supply others on request. BOD members should probably each have a few on hand to use as needed.

What does the BOD think of including one of Chuck's great new brochures with each membership application and renewal?

I like the idea! Gives new members, and renewing members a sample of our ad material to show family members or even prospective members. And if a members needs more, simply just ask!

Archived