Wrenching Day April 18th

OK so for those not going on the Arnold trip and want to hang out and wrench, my house will be open saturday April 18th.  no earlier than 9:30 am but you can stay as long as you want (until Sunday when Kylie get home is the limit tho).  I'll be wrenching, no need to RSVP just stop by and bring stuff for the pool and the BBQ!

2326 Victoria Court

Livermore CA 94550

Cell 209-423-3888

Chris

Thank you for hosting a wrenching day Chris.

I might come if I can get my parts by then. I need to change my brake pads and may be rotors. If nothing else might just come and hang out and lend a hand.

Will confirm soon.

Could you please PM me your address.

I'll go out on a limb and say Chris can handle the sliders solo if needed.  We've seen what he can do on his CT110...a couple sliders should be no problem fo the Doc.

They aren't too bad to install at all.  Just a little heavy to man handle around.  I had mine off and on a couple times last weekend while trying to sort out my suspension faults; I just use a floor jack to lift them into place when installing/removing.

I'll go out on a limb and say Chris can handle the sliders solo if needed.  We've seen what he can do on his CT110...a couple sliders should be no problem fo the Doc.

LOL, so true -- have people already forgotten the millions of pieces of blue tape he had all over his torn-out dash?  If that came out OK, he's golden for the sliders.

Thanks for the support guys!! No sliders this weekend as Kylie is taking the LR4. I did relocate the transfer case control module in preparation for the dual battery install and installed the green oval rods yesterday tho.

This weekend is going to focus on getting the RRC running so anyone one knows how those things work please come help. Also I have a few little projects for the CT (thermostatic fan switch install to turn on the AC fan automatically when climbing slowly off road, wiring up some LED spots, add a relay to the roof lights, etc). I mean I will have 3 days to myself, not sure what I'm gonna do

Thanks for the support guys!! No sliders this weekend as Kylie is taking the LR4. I did relocate the transfer case control module in preparation for the dual battery install and installed the green oval rods yesterday tho.

This weekend is going to focus on getting the RRC running so anyone one knows how those things work please come help. Also I have a few little projects for the CT (thermostatic fan switch install to turn on the AC fan automatically when climbing slowly off road, wiring up some LED spots, add a relay to the roof lights, etc). I mean I will have 3 days to myself, not sure what I'm gonna do

I'll check w/ Erin, but should be able to pop over for a couple of hours.  I'll bring the RRC Workshop Bible...we just need a Range Rover guru that can unlock its secrets...  :huh:

They aren't too bad to install at all.  Just a little heavy to man handle around.  I had mine off and on a couple times last weekend while trying to sort out my suspension faults; I just use a floor jack to lift them into place when installing/removing.

Do you have any advice for cleaning them out? I was hoping to drop mine, hose them off, touch up any scratches, and then bolt them back on. 

I also wonder if there is anything that needs to be done with the compressor - general maintenance? Cleaning? 

I thought my brakes are gone, but today i took it to Firestone for tire rotation and brake check. Tech said brakes are fine, Lower control arms are gone, need to replace both.

CarFax history shows the following are replaced at 97K miles REPLACE FRONT INNER AND OUTER TIE ROD ENDS, REPLACE FRONT LOWER BALL JOINTS, BUSHES - SUSPENSION LOWER ARM - VEHICLE SET - RENEW. So do i need to replace Lower control arms this time or just bushings? Firestone gave a quote of $1400 with dealer parts.

Don any suggestions on this? When are you planning to do yours front poly bushings. If its just bushings then I should do Poly too, if not then simply change everything.

Do you have any advice for cleaning them out? I was hoping to drop mine, hose them off, touch up any scratches, and then bolt them back on. 

I also wonder if there is anything that needs to be done with the compressor - general maintenance? Cleaning? 

David, that's exactly what I do a couple times a year - simply drop them off and turn the pressure washer on them.  I tend to really collect a thick layer of mud under the compressor to the point it packs in and makes it vibrate.  I can't get in there with the hose unless I drop the sliders.  I just played this game last weekend when I was chasing my suspension issue.

Not a lot you can/need to do with the compressor on your truck.  You'll have the newer AMK unit.  With the low miles you have you shouldn't need anything.  With the older Hitachi compressors you sometimes need to replace the desiccant in the dryer, or as Rob pointed out you can develop a crack between the fittings on the dryer cover.  We covered that in the other thread.  Again, none of that would apply to you anyway. 

I thought my brakes are gone, but today i took it to Firestone for tire rotation and brake check. Tech said brakes are fine, Lower control arms are gone, need to replace both.

CarFax history shows the following are replaced at 97K miles REPLACE FRONT INNER AND OUTER TIE ROD ENDS, REPLACE FRONT LOWER BALL JOINTS, BUSHES - SUSPENSION LOWER ARM - VEHICLE SET - RENEW. So do i need to replace Lower control arms this time or just bushings? Firestone gave a quote of $1400 with dealer parts.

Don any suggestions on this? When are you planning to do yours front poly bushings. If its just bushings then I should do Poly too, if not then simply change everything.

I still haven't done the fronts.  Partially because I was considering not installing the new struts I have in favor of going ahead with something higher-end like the Koni or a custom valved Bilstien.  Now I'm sort of leaning toward going ahead with the stock stuff I have.  I need to take some good measurements - I think I've bent something in the right front but I'm not sure what.  I'm getting contact between the upper A arm and the aluminum air bag cover at full droop.  I thought it was due to the broken sway bar end link, but that wasn't the issue.  Likely an artifact of my wild ride down the muddy hill at Frank Raines.  The right front took a pounding on that run.

On your truck I don't know that I'd go with Poly.  It will ride a bit harder and likely transmit more road vibration into the cabin.  I believe the RRS bushings are a direct replacement and are slightly firmer than the LR3, so they make a good upgrade.

I am going to be in Utah this weekend, otherwise I would have loved to come. I was going to help Chris with the sliders if he helped me drop mine and rinse them off - they are pretty dirty. 

Hey DW, Let me know if you get in a bind with the sliders.. I have driveway, floor jack and a pressure washer here at the house.  ;-)

Have fun in Utah,

TO

Archived