Memorial day weekend

My wife and daughter are off to camp for that weekend, so I have my son, but would want to have a day trip as well to be around if they need something.  Anyone want to go out to Frank Raines on Sunday?  Less traffic, day to get ready, day to play, day to relax?  I keep wanting to go, but not alone.

I don't have any plans for that weekend.  I'm sure we can come up with something.  Maybe a day of trail riding in the Sierras?  Something not too aggressive that would be good with the kids?

(I'm pretty much hopeless on the kids front so you'll have to provide direction on what you need there)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of doing some trails down near SEKI.  Normally I'd steer far clear of a national park in the summer, much less a holiday weekend, but SEKI usually isn't too crowded plus we'd actually be outside the normal park areas.  Could be a possibility.  Would the kids be OK with the drive?  It's a few hours down there from Sac.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking of doing some trails down near SEKI. Normally I'd steer far clear of a national park in the summer, much less a holiday weekend, but SEKI usually isn't too crowded plus we'd actually be outside the normal park areas. Could be a possibility. Would the kids be OK with the drive? It's a few hours down there from Sac.

So i just looked it up. Dont think ive ever been there but is def a drive. Assuming we could be there a couple days that would break up the car time enough for her. it looks like a great place. have you ever camped there before?

I've camped in the park itself, way out near the end of King's Canyon.  It was actually over 4th of July weekend as I recall (a couple years ago) and it wasn't crowded.  They don't get anything like the crowds of Yosemite.  Stayed through one heck of a mountain thunderstorm there...nothing like being in a tent with the thunder rolling at what sounds like tree-top level.  (really, I liked it)

Here's a video of what I had in mind.  The last time I was in that area I was in the wife's company Traverse which I pin-stripped nicely as well as demonstrating that it has the off-road capabilities only slightly better than a Prius.  I'd like to do the lookout which is pretty easy but would be fun, and some of the stuff he does in part 3.

http://overlandbound.com/sequoia-national-park-part-2-3/

Here's the catch though- I can't commit just yet.  The next couple weeks are going to be crazy for me and I really need to schedule some down-time at home to catch up on all the BS building up around the house.  

You guys are lucky... National Holidays are always the busiest in the restaurant industry. I'm definitely out, but there are interesting trails up in the Shaver Lake area I've been meaning to explore. Most can be found here. If you are looking for something more difficult, Hell Hole Reservoir up by the Rubicon is quite a fun trail, but I would not go alone. Also allow more time to go up than down. I remember the rock ledges being nasty.

I know there are lots of things around Shaver we could try and they would be a bit closer than SEKI.  And while I like a challenge, I think this trip would need to be a bit more relaxed so as to A-be more kid friendly and B-not cause me to break anything on the truck this close to the OR trip.

I think that this was the only really bad spot near the end. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/usa-northern-california/531591d1277696584-hell-hole-june-2010-hell-hole-046.jpg

I would consider the trail kid friendly because it only took four hours to run. From there it is just lazing around and swimming! It's not like the Rubicon or Fordyce, where you can easily get someone stuck for four hours, and get to camp at 10:00p.m. Underbody protection is a must. We did happen upon a Jeep with a cracked oil pan. It may not be a good trail so close to the Oregon trip, but I would consider one of the more "kid-friendly" of the challenging trails.

The more I look at the calender, the less it looks like I can take a weekend away between now and OR.  I've only got 2 free weekends between then and now and I'm planning to fill one of them with a wrenching day to do the front suspension bushings.  I might be able to get out for a day run, but I just don't think I can manage a full 2 night trip.  Sorry. 

I'll probably still do the SEKI area trip later this year.

Archived