Arnold, CA Area Trip - April 17-19

At this point, I think it's unlikely. I just got back from an inconveniently timed week in Chicago and haven't had the time to do the swivel seals, VC, or any of the other things I should do before trying to drag a stock 2WD truck through the trail. Perhaps I'll get overly ambitious this week, but I doubt it with the way this week is shaping up. I'll post back Thu night with a firm Y/N.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I just went from 'definite' to 'maybe'.  I dropped the Rover off at SacLR this morning at 7:30 but they didn't actually have any openings until next week.  I left it with them for the week and they will try to get it in but no guarantees.  :(

Rocklin didn't have any openings either.  I didn't try Stewarts...maybe I should have.  I figured this was best done by a dealer in the hopes they would be most familiar with the bugaboos of the EAS but then again being a dealer is no guarantee of success.

I also don't know if Stewarts would be any cheaper. 

All I do know is LRSac opened earlier so I was able to get there at 7:15 (they open at 7:30 but usually somebody is there early) so that helped my schedule for today.

Are there no indies in your neck of the woods? Or maybe driving it in to Oakland and looking for something in the Bay? If there's an indy that has solid EAS experience, I'd trust that over the dealer any day.

Well, my 'neck of the woods' is a town of about 700 people.  Surprisingly, there is an indy shop here who specializes in Mercedes.  I'd trust him to do general mechanical stuff (heck, he owns a D2) but don't know if he'd be up for a software issue.

I was pretty much limited to Sacramento by schedule.  I have to have 2 people, one to drive the truck and one to bring me home.  The wife was flying out of Sac this morning, so she drove my work van and I drove the Rover with a software over-ride via the GAP tool up to the dealer, then I took over the van and took her the SMF, then I headed straight to Sausalito for my meetings.  We'll both be away from home for the rest of the week (normal for us due to work) then we get home Thursday night.  Hopefully the Rover will be done and we can pick it up at 7:30 when the dealer opens on Friday, grab some provisions, return home, put my Johnson rods back on, load up, and head out for Lake Alpine in the early afternoon.

At least that's the hoped-for plan.  I don't know if they'll actually get her done or not since I didn't have an appointment.

I had to make a decision on Sunday when nobody was open, and I had to get moving as early as possible to make her flights and my appointments.  So at 7:15 this morning we were parked in the SacLR service lot.  Luckily they usually come in a little before opening at 7:30.

There really wasn't any way to bring it down to the bay with me since she had to get to the airport and I need my van for work.  Annoying, since I'm currently sitting having lunch about a mile from LR of Marin.

Don,

Sorry to hear your LR3 is out of commission.  I hope you get it by Friday or earlier.   I already got the go from my work so i am in.  If you are not able to get it by Friday, just get a rental 4x4 or borrow a rover.  If i had two, i would let you borrow one. 

Well, keep us posted. 

AA

With what Don wants to do with his LR3, a rental 4x4 might not be a good idea.... Of course, he could pay for their extra insurance and after the damage is done on the trail just tow it to a paved road. "Officer someone stole my rental car and took it off road!!"

With what Don wants to do with his LR3, a rental 4x4 might not be a good idea.... Of course, he could pay for their extra insurance and after the damage is done on the trail just tow it to a paved road. "Officer someone stole my rental car and took it off road!!"

Nothing handles like a fully insured rental car :)

Another day gone and still no word from SacLR.

I'm beginning to formulate alternative plans.

1- pack up the wife's chebby and come up to camp.  I _think_ it will make it to the camp area, but the Traverse is about the least-capable "AWD" SUV you can imagine.

2- ride the KLR up for Saturday.  I'm sure I can make it to the campsite, though I wouldn't want to wrestle that pig down the whole trail. It's much happier exploring fire roads than actual trail work.

I'm leaning toward option 2.  I've got a ton of work I need to catch up on anyway so that would give me Friday and Sunday to do a little stuff at home.  Or watch the F1 race.  Or nap.  You know...important stuff like that.

Either way, I'd need to bum a seat.  Right now we've got Nick and Antonio - who else is coming? 

If you want to ride your scooter up I may be able to haul some of you gear. We drove our duramax part way down the trail, close enough for to get to camp I'd think. So you Chevy can prob make it.

Did you call niello and bug? Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I didn't call them during the week as I was trying not to be annoying but will call when they open today.  I did talk with the service writer and explain we were going on a club trip over the weekend which was why we were in a hurry. 

WooHoo!  They said it's done and I'm ready to go.  Not sure what they did but I'm going to talk to the tech when pick it up tomorrow morning. 

I'm going to stay positive and assume it's really fixed; that they didn't just do a recal and drive it around the parking lot.  It only takes a mile or two to alarm, but as I told them at drop-off, it has to be at highway speeds.

Anyway - looks like Michele and I will be heading to Slick Rock tomorrow afternoon.  Tentatively I'll try to leave around 2 which should have me there by 5 with gas stops.

:)  :series2:   (since we have no LR3 icons...)

Checked the weather and its gonna be a beautiful weekend. Got my sliders on and just about finished my antenna wiring.. come one come all! If anyone wants to bring the kid Brooklyn will keep them busy :)

My tentative plan is to leave the house around 2 and be at camp around 5.  I'll have my radio on 146.460 if anybody is coming in that night looking for us.  I plan to camp a little way down the trail, maybe 3/4 mile or so instead of at the official campground at the trail head.

My Jeep buddy Andrew also confirmed he's coming but he'll be driving up early Saturday.  He's planning to be there by 9.

So that's Nick and daughter, Antonio, myself and Michele, and Andrew (jeep).  Anybody else in??

So, as im mentioned we have a cabin about 5 min off the 4 at Dorrington (Camp Connell). If anyone wpuld like to come over for a beer and a campfire (or needs tools or a garage to fix something) you are more than welcome. It will just be myself and brooklyn and all are welcome including pets (we have a fenced acre). You. An google it but we are about 20 miles before you get to Lake Alpine. My number is 916-716-8999.

Btw- cell service. If you have att you will be done at Murphys and wont get it back until you come down the hill. If you have verizon you will get it in arnold and camp connell (works at our place for the most part) then not again until you get to the turnoff for bear valley.

Alright, this trip is a go.   It sounds like Nick will be staying at his cabin and Don and friend will be camping out.  I am also down for camping. Thanks Nick for offering your cabin.   I will try to leave early from the bay area to avoid the traffic.  I plan to be there before 5 and meet you at the trail head Don.   Hopefully, there are not the many people on the trail.  

We just need agree on a time and place to meet on Saturday.  

Will see you tomorrow. 

AA

Talking to my wife.... I might join in. How do we get notifications here?

Now that you've participated in the thread, you'll get notified at the email address on file, just like the old forum .

You should likely get an email stating I just replied to this. If not, let's double check the email is right. If you use Tapatalk and aren't getting notified, you might want to delete NCLR from the Tapatalk App and then search again for it and re-add.

We will get you plugged back in! You cannot escape.

Now that you've participated in the thread, you'll get notified at the email address on file, just like the old forum .

You should likely get an email stating I just replied to this. If not, let's double check the email is right. If you use Tapatalk and aren't getting notified, you might want to delete NCLR from the Tapatalk App and then search again for it and re-add.

We will get you plugged back in! You cannot escape.

Hi Jared,  Can you also check on my email?  I have not been getting any notifications.  I did change my settings to get all notifications but not getting any.  Thanks!

Archived