Arnold, CA Area Trip - April 17-19

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18/19th of what month?

1995 Range Rover LWB 300tdi

1986 Defender 110

Thinking NEXT month, as that is the MoM, but alas that weekend I will not be able to go.  Turns out your daughter only turns 8 once a lifetime, and that weekend is hers!  I guess I'll have to wrangle another time to run up the hill.

I believe April 18/19 is the proposed date.  I'm good with it unless somebody else has other ideas...?  I suppose since Nick brought this up it would be good to get his 2 cents.

I believe April 18/19 is the proposed date. I'm good with it unless somebody else has other ideas...? I suppose since Nick brought this up it would be good to get his 2 cents.

I think we can arrange to be up there then. Won't have sliders or anything so I may not take the lr4on the whole trail.

I'd certainly be up for this, but neither of those weekends will work for me at this point. It's amazing how fast my schedule has been filling up lately. Right now I've got the weekends of May 9th and 30th, and June 27th. If that doesn't work out for you, I may wind up putting together another Deer Valley (I think it's open again) and Slickrock trip like I did in 2010. Wow, can't believe that's been five years already...seems like just a couple years ago.

Dan,

I know abut the "filling up" .... May 9th is good for me, but may not be for those with kids (Mother's Day weekend), 30th not so good, June 27th the best.  Let's tie it down now!  One of the worst things about these planning threads is that we go backward and forward on dates, and when something else comes up members take it because they don't know for sure if there will be a trip and they know for sure that xyz is happening, so commit to it.

By the way, is there a spill chucker on this new forum interface?

Regards,

Graeme

I'm a tentative. What would the timing be? We have a commitment early on Sat morning but we could head up afterwards and probably be there early afternoon.

Also, is the trail doable in a stock RRC without sliders (or any protection) without getting body damage? I'm ok with some scratches but not sheet metal damage. Also ok with wimping out and taking bypasses if needed to avoid body damage. Obviously I'll need the VC working by then...

I'm a tentative. What would the timing be? We have a commitment early on Sat morning but we could head up afterwards and probably be there early afternoon.

Also, is the trail doable in a stock RRC without sliders (or any protection) without getting body damage? I'm ok with some scratches but not sheet metal damage. Also ok with wimping out and taking bypasses if needed to avoid body damage. Obviously I'll need the VC working by then...

I have not run the trail myself but in talking to others who have (some who have posted here) and reviewing video/trail notes I'd say there is a fair to good chance of some damage trying to get a stock RRC through.  While there are some bypasses for the hardest parts that still doesn't mean 'easy'. 

I would imagine the weekend would go like this:  drive up Friday and make camp; run trails Saturday; camp Saturday night and BS around fire about our heroics; Return home Sunday

i.e pretty normal weekend of wheeling and camping.

Anyone have any other date input?

Don wrote up what I figured we would be doing (Friday up, Saturday 4x4, Sunday drive out)... would that then be April 17th-19th?  Erin & I appear to be available for that weekend.

-Jared

Don wrote up what I figured we would be doing (Friday up, Saturday 4x4, Sunday drive out)... would that then be April 17th-19th? Erin & I appear to be available for that weekend.

-Jared

Sounds like a plan to me. Also if anyone has a desire to do some target practice there are plenty of places.

I just checked the calendar item sign-up and only see myself and Nick listed.  You guys aren't backing out are you?  Am I going to have to invite my Jeep buddy just to fill out the field?

(hey Jared, he drives an LJ, just to confuse you more on the Jeep lingo)

I'm still considering making a run of it and just stacking rocks or bringing some ramps if needed. Mostly depends on whether the wifey feels up to it or not. 

I RSVPed just to make you feel less lonely. :P

I'm still considering making a run of it and just stacking rocks or bringing some ramps if needed. Mostly depends on whether the wifey feels up to it or not.

I RSVPed just to make you feel less lonely.

My lr4 doesnt have sliders or anything so i may take the sissy bypasses if needed :)

Here is the Wells write-up on the trail.  It's in his book and is rated as 'difficult', though it is short. 

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=5

Here is some video of the trail to give you an idea what it's like.

part 1 - start to about 3/4 through.  Note that he describes it as 'easy' - of course, they are running lifted and locked JKs on 35s, so easy is relative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtI9R1y05M4

part 2- the stairs, the hardest obstacle at the southern end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41JZDKB-ig

This might be a little more comparable to what we'll look like.  It's a 100-series Cruiser.   No front locker, 2.5" lift, maybe 33's (?), a rear locker and of course sliders.  He doesn't exactly make it look easy but he gets through pretty well with some spotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCRS9o1jNM

Come one, come all, See the Rovers play in the rocks!

Who's up for this trip?  We had a fair bit of interest but now that we have an actual date things seem to be getting quiet. 

I think Michele and I will drive up Friday afternoon and likely make camp about 3/4 mile down the trail.  We could camp at the actual campground, but it is often crowded and I'd rather get away from the masses if possible.  The trail to this point is easy and passable for any stock Rover.  I can't say what to expect weather-wise this far out, but as a reference TWC shows Arnold, CA (just down the road and at lower elevation) at 57/39 today and warmer yet in the 10-day forecast.  Still, you're camping at 7000' in April so anything is possible. 

Saturday morning I'd like to get a fairly early start.  Although the trail is short there are a few points that should give us a challenge and I always like to get through before crowds show up.  I have no idea if we'll have the place to ourselves or if there will be a line of rigs, though I expect closer to the former.  It is however a popular trail so we could have company.  All the more reason to get moving early as we may be slow over some obstacles. 

Depending on how the day goes we can either run the trail in reverse back to the campsite, take the forest roads back around to the campsite, or we can explore some of the many other trails and forest roads in the area before returning. 

Sunday should be a pretty leisurely morning of breakfast, BS'ing, and breaking camp.  We'd likely be on the road by noon, though I have no fixed plans. 

If somebody would like to come up and camp but is worried about running the trail in their truck, I'll have a couple empty seats available.  Be warned:  anybody riding in the back seat is responsible for manning the fridge, so you will have to be able to retrieve Coke upon demand.  This is no light responsibility!

So....Colin - Jared - Brenton?  I haven't heard from you guys?  I know Dan and Jason have some possible conflicts.  Who else is up for this?  Rob?  Ted?  This is only a couple hours away from you guys-come on down!  It's a nice easy weekend so what's not to like?

Archived