Red Bluff/Platina Area

Hello Everyone,

I was out in the Red Bluff/Platina area this weekend. I explored a few trails that were open and some are really nice with beautiful views. Most of them were relatively easy, a few tougher moments, but nothing crazy. The major issue is that some trails are narrow, so I got some pretty bad pin striping on my rover in a few places. I would suspect that when the main trails open they will clear some of this brush. There are many nice trails and park roads, but some are closed during the winter. I know Don and I are going to post about a possible trip up there for a weekend where we explore the trails and do some target shooting. My friend has 80+ acres in Platina that he said we could use for camping/shooting. More to come on that once we formulate our plans/timing.

Here are a few photos...

The views are just beautiful. There is a monastery on one of the roads, so I met some of the monks walking their dog. They actually have a very cool, of course you know I would mention this, Land Cruiser. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/EireAngus/Platina%20Feb%202015/7A5F5116-137E-4928-8D44-59D802B6617E_zpsviab6bv0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/EireAngus/Platina%20Feb%202015/61C77FA7-FFD5-4702-8E5D-0858317D7A12_zpsljvhj3dr.jpg

You can see Mt. Shasta in the background if you look, sorry did not take more photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/EireAngus/Platina%20Feb%202015/494CA80C-35ED-4DA1-91AF-7EA0882440AA_zpseleth69b.jpg

Another view:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/EireAngus/Platina%20Feb%202015/41006523-DFE9-449D-B961-E15E44381D4D_zpstt86fwdg.jpg

David,

I think that will wash off ...

Graeme

I agree, or at least cover up when I have it clay barred. I plan to have it done sometime soon. Some of it feels deep, but should cover nicely. Either way, I don't mind scratches, just don't want dents. The steel bumpers are nice, I just touch them up with paint :)

David, Congrats on the pin striping,,, I remember getting most of mine at Garcia Ridge (Pismo Trip) and I cringed at each manzanita bush that played the role os child with a stick on a picket fence...

While I think Graeme is right, those scratches look like they will "buff out" or at least be minimized by a good scrub. Technically tho... "Clay bar" treatment is designed to remove particulates that are embedded on the surface, it won't remove or fill the scratches. Slightly different vernacular but same doctor. If you want to swing by one of these days I'll pull out the detail kit and we can test a couple of those sections (Trolls: No, I'm not offering to detail his truck)

NCLR Board Member

Director of Affairs

David, Congrats on the pin striping,,, I remember getting most of mine at Garcia Ridge (Pismo Trip) and I cringed at each manzanita bush that played the role os child with a stick on a picket fence...

While I think Graeme is right, those scratches look like they will "buff out" or at least be minimized by a good scrub. Technically tho... "Clay bar" treatment is designed to remove particulates that are embedded on the surface, it won't remove or fill the scratches. Slightly different vernacular but same doctor. If you want to swing by one of these days I'll pull out the detail kit and we can test a couple of those sections (Trolls: No, I'm not offering to detail his truck)

NCLR Board Member

Director of Affairs

Thanks so much for the advice. I actually had no idea what clay barring was and just thought maybe it helps. :-) So you recommend just a wash and wax? I typically don't detail my truck at all, but I think it needs it badly. I was going to have a local detail place do it. Thanks for the offer; it would be great to stop by so you can show me.

Think of it in phases like clean, repair and protect. Clay bar treatment is in the clean phase. Then steps to alleviate scratches, swirls, spider webbing adding oils back into fading paints, polishing etc... Then wax to protect all that from uv, elements etc...

Pin striping etc is going to happen, think of the above for the overall health of the paint.

Think of it in phases like clean, repair and protect. Clay bar treatment is in the clean phase. Then steps to alleviate scratches, swirls, spider webbing adding oils back into fading paints, polishing etc... Then wax to protect all that from uv, elements etc...

Pin striping etc is going to happen, think of the above for the overall health of the paint.

Thanks! Though I am still a bit clueless.

Wax? I'm going for the natural matte look on my Disco.. Sad thing is that the undercarriage of my truck gets washed more than the topside. I cant even remember the last time I actually washed the painted surfaces..

X2. Does rain count as washing the paint? Cause that's all the truck gets.

Rupert lives in Red Bluff. I am sure he can chime in with some cool trails to explore as well. Beautiful country up there.

A good waxing wild get most of those scratches out. I agree, a good coat of wax before a trail run helps cleanup afterward and minimizes pinstriping. I don't care about my truck, but Cara doesn't want hers looking too tired.

"Wagons East" John Candy's last movie. Filmed in Cottonwood area.

Familiar with Chappie-Shasta and Peligreen?(northwest and east)

Popular Rat Trap area for the lost. (west)

Yet to explore High Lakes (so.east)

When we're up that way this summer while you guys are off on the Oregon trip i'm planning to run parts of the Lassen Backcountry Discovery Trail as well as go and check out the High Lakes area. Here's a couple of brochures put out by forestry on the Lassen and Plumas Backcountry trails:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5190656.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428383.pdf

When we're up that way this summer while you guys are off on the Oregon trip i'm planning to run parts of the Lassen Backcountry Discovery Trail as well as go and check out the High Lakes area. Here's a couple of brochures put out by forestry on the Lassen and Plumas Backcountry trails:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5190656.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428383.pdf

So you're doing this instead of Oregon or a possible trip for the club?

Hwy 17 between 36 and 44. I call the "cheapskate hwy". West of 89 which cuts thru Lassen NP and you have to pay a fee to enter park, but 17 is free and you can bypass LNP. :)

National Parks are free to enter January 19, February 14-16, April 18-19, August 25, September 26 and November 11.

I wanted to go on the Oregon trip but my family usually does a week long trip up near Chester. Our Chester trip just so happens to be on the same week you guys will be on the Oregon trip :( . Cest la vie.. So i'm going to make the best of it and do a little bit of recce on the trails in that neck of the woods while we are up there. If anyone cant go on the Oregon trip and would like to go exploring LMK. Any exploring I do will be during the week. Looking at Forestry and USGS maps and what not right now to try to figure out some nice routes that are more than just graded gravel roads. Trying to figure out a good track to check out the Colby Mountain, McCarthy Point, and Turner Mountain fire lookouts

Nice! I go to Lassen 2-3 times a year for camping and hiking. It's one of my favorite parks.

Speaking of Chester, do you happen to know if Chuck Norris lives there? I was told he does by several rangers and locals.

Not trying to detract from the thread postings with the Chuck Norris question.

David, I think a trip up in Red Bluff area sounds awesome, especially if we get to shoot!! Land roving and shooting!! Brenton, please make us some stickers. :)

Archived