I'll try uploading a pic of my LR4 in North Carolina.

Nice! That is a fine looking LR4. My wife just got an Ipanema Sand LR4 and it's really impressive what it can do in stock config.

-Jared

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey John;

GMRS radios run on a series of channels that are not within the allocated frequency ranges for Ham Radio (I think it's somewhere just beyond the amateur 70cm band). It's possible that your radios will let you tune to listen to our chatter if we were on a 70cm frequency, but probably unlikely. Bring it down to Hollister and we'll take a look!

Our standard NCLR calling frequency is 146.460 MHz simplex.

-Jared

-Jared

Hi John,

Welcome to NCLR and CA/SF!

The default for trail comms has become a simple HAM freq Jared lists above. Do bring your radio as various folks have an assortment of radios in their rigs (I have HAM, CB and even a GMRS radio in a drawer somewhere ;-) One of the popular Handhelds that many members have is an inexpensive Baofeng from China. These radios have wideband tx/rx and can be programmed to communicate on GMRS, FRS as well as HAM frequencies.. might be a good alternative for you to get started ;-)

Welcome to the club and I look forward to meeting you in the trails!

Tom

When getting the Baofeng also get the programming cable, i also like the battery eliminator (let you use a 12V socket), the lapel mic, and although the included rubber ducky antenna is ok, for $7 you can get a mag mount antenna to improve range and/or a longer rubber ducky. I have both and until I went with a mobile unit it was fine. I still use the mag mount and my Baofeng in my DD just for kicks.

And welcome to the club!!

Chris

David, download an app for ham radio call ed "HAM tech" (iphone) and just repeat the test over and over again while on the potty. Then drop $20-$30 and take a local test. I took mine in Fremont and I believe they offer it every month. Then drop $50 on the radio and be in the cool crowd.

David, download an app for ham radio call ed "HAM tech" (iphone) and just repeat the test over and over again while on the potty. Then drop $20-$30 and take a local test. I took mine in Fremont and I believe they offer it every month. Then drop $50 on the radio and be in the cool crowd.

David, make sure that whatever app you choose is up to date because ARRL made changes to the test in July 2014. Not all of the apps have been updated to meet the new requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know Erin, when I took it the questions were the same, read, recognize and answer...boo yah!

Chris, I think the questions changed only, so making sure to study the right questions is important otherwise one may be surprised when the questions are unrecognized.

Chris, I think the questions changed only, so making sure to study the right questions is important otherwise one may be surprised when the questions are unrecognized.

Thanks for the advice Erin and Chris!!!

I downloaded the app that Chris mentioned, but not sure if it's up to date? Erin, what app did you use to study???

I would love to have it ready or my plane ride home - that can be a few hours of studying! :-)

Let me know. Thanks!!!

Regards, David

This App was great because it has the questions with the answers in one section, then the questions where you have to chose the right answer for each section and then practice tests that randomly selects 35 questions pooled from each section just like on the real exam.

I also got the Q & A book from HRO to help with some areas that I had a hard time understanding. ie electrical circuits and some math formulas.

I'll let you borrow mine if you want to.

I have the Latest ARRL General Class Q&A book and am happy to donate it to the club now that I have my General license. (I should probably know this) -- Do we have an NCLR club library to send to?

(also realize this is fairly off-topic..)

-Jared

I want to get my license but it's not looking like the dates will work for me. January is on the 10th but early morning when I'm at work. Then next month is the 10th of February at 6pm but that's probably not going to be good with the baby being born....and there after. My other option might be the 10hr online class. I'm not sure about this yet.

I want to get my license but it's not looking like the dates will work for me. January is on the 10th but early morning when I'm at work. Then next month is the 10th of February at 6pm but that's probably not going to be good with the baby being born....and there after. My other option might be the 10hr online class. I'm not sure about this yet.

I think it will be a few months before I can do it as well..... The times are not that convenient! I will continue to study and take practice tests and do it at some point. Pedram, maybe we can go together.

February MORG is at Shaver lake.

Shaver Lake is on Jan. 31-Feb 1. February MORG is on the first Saturday of February, which is the 7th.

February is a Moving MORG at South Cow Mountain near Ukiah.

-Jared

Archived