Gauging interest in Cal4WD Winter Fun Run Jan.23-25, 2015

Possibly, though at some point I need to schedule some down-time to redo the bushings on my truck.

Do you have a link for this run?

http://www.cal4wheel.com/winter-fun-festival

$85 includes meals from Friday evening to Sunday breakfast .... so you can travel light (or sleep in the truck!)

Graeme

Well, this weekend is Lost Coast; the next two weekends I'm in HI; and the following weekend is the MORG. So my first free weekend is Dec 13/14. Let's make that our tentative go-date. I'll have to get the parts ordered as I haven't got them yet. I'll also need to either borrow or buy a press and clear out some work space. Unfortunately, the garage is stuffed full with a boat and 3 motorcycles plus work stuff and the usual assortment of junk so that means working in the driveway. December weather is a crap-shoot. Could be nice or could be cold and rainy. If the latter, I'll reschedule.

Anybody else want to give this a go? I've got room in the drive to work on a couple of trucks; maybe 3. No problem with parking extra vehicles as it's a small private street so we could literally just take it over if we needed. It is a bit of a haul from the bay area though. I live in Walnut Grove

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38.2456192,-121.5126251/@38.2477485,-121.5141448,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

The LR3/4 is (of course) more complicated than the Disco/Classic since it's IFS/IRS. Basically I'll be doing upper and lower control arm bushings front and rear as well as sway bar bushings front and rear. The rear's are a PITA I understand. Hopefully my front LCAs won't be too bad since they were replaced in January. For anybody thinking of doing this, the LR3s are notoriously hard on front LCAs and it's common to just replace them as a unit instead of doing the individual bushings and ball joint. They also usually recommend getting a new set of hardware for the LCAs as well since they tend to get pretty rusted up. Hopefully in our climate that's not such a problem, but it's pretty common to have to cut the old LCAs out in other parts of the country.

After we get back from Lost Coast and I get the parts ordered I'll start an official thread but this will do for now.

Not to continue to hijack this thread but what to does the weather have to do with it. My garage is always open

Thanks for the offer - I may well take you up on it! I worry that it may be a two-day operation though as I don't know my way around this truck that well yet.

Archived