November 2014 MORG

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyways, Rupert, what are you worried about. You live north of this area and going this route would make no sense for you. Same to Don. For Jared and I this is okay. East bay and south bay. North bay can take 580 to 5 south.

Rupert doesn't strike me as the worried type... ::bigsmile::

And yes, that seems like the faster route for folks coming from the north and east. From that direction there's still at least 15-20 min. of scenic driving in the hills before reaching Frank Raines.

-Jared

Yes, while it's fun to meet up with the bay people to caravan to the MORGs, it's quite a bit out of the way for us. I think we'll be coming down 5 again for this one.

By the way, does anyone have the known-exact GPS coordinates for Frank Raines turnoff/entrance? I have it at 37°25'16.0"N 121°22'20.4"W (37.421114, -121.372340) but would be good to confirm.

-Jared

I never use GPS. I just go until I find something interesting to do.

That works once you're there-- I'm trying to make sure anyone that plans on coming has a rough idea of where the entrance is... It's not well labeled on a lot of maps.

-Jared

By the way, does anyone have the known-exact GPS coordinates for Frank Raines turnoff/entrance? I have it at 37°25'16.0"N 121°22'20.4"W (37.421114, -121.372340) but would be good to confirm.

-Jared

I was working on the 'I'll know it when I see it' principal.

Hello All,

I have decided to tag along on the MORG. What time and where will people be meeting and leaving from Mt Hamilton? I have never gone off roading so I may not do any. Not sure if my stock Disco can do much. At the very least it'll be a chance to meet some people and have a nice drive to the place.

Hello All,

I have decided to tag along on the MORG. What time and where will people be meeting and leaving from Mt Hamilton? I have never gone off roading so I may not do any. Not sure if my stock Disco can do much. At the very least it'll be a chance to meet some people and have a nice drive to the place.

Hi Nick;

As I commented in your welcome post, your Discovery I is a very capable truck even in stock configuration. In general we try to keep the MORGs safe for all driver skill levels and should you decide to try something more challenging, you will have the benefit of our trail-experienced folks to spot you through.

We aren't big fans of vehicle damage (like dents... however, you may get brush/bush contact) so while the disclaimer must be made that you perform these activities at your own risk, the actual chance of doing anything bad is pretty low.

Glad you're coming! Please see the calendar event for details and read through the previous posts in this thread to find out where the Bay Area meeting point is (meeting time is at 8:15AM if I recall correctly...)

-Jared

Hi Nick,

Like Jared said, you may be surprised at what you can do with a stock truck. We usually have a mix of vehicles and drivers from new and stock to 'are you crazy?' with dedicated trail rigs. Most of us fall somewhere in between. While we do have a few hard core off-road rock crawlers in the club, most of us are a little more tame.

In the motorcycling world we have a saying - Ride your own bike. Basically, do what you're comfortable with and don't worry about the other guys. There's no need to prove anything, and no matter how good you get there's always somebody better so there's no point in trying to hot dog just to impress somebody. Luckily I've never found that to be a problem in this club. It's a great bunch of people.

It's all about building experience and confidence in your driving and your rig. And that's exactly what the MORGs are about. Glad you're coming!

Mainly everyone here is a great friend to have. We all help each other. If your not sure, make sure to ask. Don't go wondering around thinking your invincibile. Because no one is. Just stick with us and your fine. We have great spotter's and plenty of help.

Hey Nick,

Yup. I believe these guys. I did my first off roading at MORG with my Stock truck and these guys took great care of me like a baby :). This club is cool and people are awesome and lot to learn and gain most experience by seeing and hearing their stories :)

Hey Nick,

Yup. I believe these guys. I did my first off roading at MORG with my Stock truck and these guys took great care of me like a baby :). This club is cool and people are awesome and lot to learn and gain most experience by seeing and hearing their stories :)

And we pay him $25 every time he says that... lol ::bigsmile::

-Jared

P.S. This is getting expensive!

Hello All,

Hi Nick,

In the Library section I've uploaded a pdf about intro off road driving. Let me know if you have any questions:)

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/showthread.php?2805-Intro-to-Off-Road-Driving-Skills&p=35520#post35520

So... just so everyone knows... my colleague David, whom some of you met at the Peninsula gathering last week, bought a Jeep Cherokee (I know, I know... I tried to convince him to buy a Land Rover, but he's not into Land Rovers like we are) and wants to take his truck out and have some fun with a group and in a safe environment. Since this is a MORG, and technically "anyone" can go to an off-road park, I invited him to join us for his first time off road in his new rig. After that, he's on his own...

Thanks guys... please don't be too hard on him. *evil grin* ::blink::

Cherokee? Or Grand Cherokee? If the first, is it at least the TrailHawk version?

If the later, it would be a good comparison against the late model Rovers. It's an air suspension rig. the 'American Range Rover' so they say.

BTW, I have a new 4Runner as a rental here in AK. It's not too bad, but it's certainly taking some getting used to. Last night when we got in it wasn't all that cold (in the upper 20s) but all the windows were frozen shut and the driver's seat wouldn't adjust - the previous driver must have been about 4' 6", because I pretty much had to duck to see out of the thing!

BTW, I have a new 4Runner as a rental here in AK. It's not too bad, but it's certainly taking some getting used to. Last night when we got in it wasn't all that cold (in the upper 20s) but all the windows were frozen shut and the driver's seat wouldn't adjust - the previous driver must have been about 4' 6", because I pretty much had to duck to see out of the thing!

Which model of 4Runner? The limited has the full time 4WD, Torsen LSD and "locking feature" as Toyota describes it.

-Jared

I'm planning to be there with my 109.

(Don't worry. It's not an ordinary 109)

Hey MatM; Great to hear -- any 109 is a good 109. ::amuse::

I'll update the roster at the beginning of the thread. The Bay area folks are meeting up at 8:15 near Alum Rock Ave. and Mt. Hamilton Rd. in SJ.

-Jared

Archived