Lost Coast Trip November 2014

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi South Bay contingent! I'll be putting together an itinerary with waypoints working back from Chris' start point in Oakland. Anyone that's had an interest in caravan-ing up from SB/Peninsula will be considered in the waypoint selection.

-Jared

OK so after TO helped me set up my mobile rig we have figured that you don't need fuel, i am bringing some fire wood and we can get some in Laytonville, Alyson is meeting in Oakland, etc. We will need more wood than we probably think so I say we load up big time!!

For the Oakland crew, we can change the meet up to the Montclair Village which is the next exit down from Joaquin Miller (Park Blvd) and then you have a choice of Peet's or Starbucks. Either way is fine with me. Still plan to meet by 10am and be ready to roll by 1015am. I will be leading the pack, slow and low as I will be loaded up like the Clampetts (pics to follow).

I will be monitoring NCLR 146.640 and Mt Diablo repeater 147.060 pl100. I am leaving Livermore at 745 Fri am to get to my dad's house by 9am so I will be monitoring and possibly chatting with a few of you.

Remember... "get dirty, stay clean" is also a Land Rover Motto!!

New location works for me!

Folks, here is my attempt at Precreating the routes and waypoints for the upcoming trip. It's a combination of Ron's coordinates, some web searching, Google Earth and related maps.. Next year I'll have the track but this is worth a shot..

Feel welcome to download and use at your own peril! :-)

South Bay Members:

Red Rover will be stopping at the Coleman Avenue Starbucks/Chevron (695 Coleman Avenue San Jose, CA 95110) at 8:15 to get fuel, coffee, etc. There could be some traffic so we've tried to buffer for that.

Below are the people in the area that we'll keep an eye out for before we depart:

• Alyson

• Martin

• Sean

Also, I will be tuned to 146.460 (NCLR FM Simplex frequency) and will have APRS enabled, so you can track the Red Rover using this link.

Below is a map on where we're heading up.

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/lc_sb_waypoint_thumb.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/lc_sb_waypoint.jpg

-Jared

Thanks Jared. Map shows me 30 from sbux to 880/decoto. I'll plan to join the caravan there at 0900, I too will be on 146.460 as well as the Diablo repeater. Further, feel welcome to call/txt me on 650 796 6936 when you leave sbux ;-)

I thought I read that Martin was departing 0930 and taking 280? Great to have them join the fun ;-)

Folks, here is my attempt at Precreating the routes and waypoints for the upcoming trip. It's a combination of Ron's coordinates, some web searching, Google Earth and related maps.. Next year I'll have the track but this is worth a shot..

Feel welcome to download and use at your own peril! :-)

Hey Tom, you can compare your track to my gps file that was uploaded to the Library section too. There's a link in one of my last posts a few pages back. In 2010, we took a different route to Usal Camp, but from there, the track should be the same. I'll look at them today (home with an upset stomach) to be sure we don't wind up in the Pacific Ocean;)

I'm going to leave Santa Clara at 9.30 ish. Head up 280. I assume ok to bring dog ? Try and arrive at laytonville 2pm

My cell is (408) 391-1943. What is repeater frequency to monitor ?

Thx - Martin

Martin, I will be bringing your NCLR/Cal4 member kit with me. Can you confirm your shirt size for me? Thanks!

If you don't want to feel left out from the rest of the cool kids, and would like to have an NCLR flag to attach to your truck let me know and I'll bring them with me. They are $20 ea. and you'll need a way to attach it. Chris has a cool mount that's worked well for him if you need any ideas.

Hey Tom, you can compare your track to my gps file that was uploaded to the Library section too. There's a link in one of my last posts a few pages back. In 2010, we took a different route to Usal Camp, but from there, the track should be the same. I'll look at them today (home with an upset stomach) to be sure we don't wind up in the Pacific Ocean;)

Thanks B,

Please confirm your findings so no one ends up in the ocean unwillingly... I'll take a look in a bit as well. This was an attempt to pre-create from satalite imagery etc... no physicals tracks so I'll side with history on this one.

Thanks! Tom

South Bay Members:

Red Rover will be stopping at the Coleman Avenue Starbucks/Chevron (695 Coleman Avenue San Jose, CA 95110) at 8:15 to get fuel, coffee, etc. There could be some traffic so we've tried to buffer for that.

Below are the people in the area that we'll keep an eye out for before we depart:

• Alyson

• Martin

• Sean

Also, I will be tuned to 146.460 (NCLR FM Simplex frequency) and will have APRS enabled, so you can track the Red Rover using this link.

Below is a map on where we're heading up.

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/lc_sb_waypoint_thumb.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/lc_sb_waypoint.jpg

-Jared

Hi,

I will try to catch up with you guys on 880 or on the way. I will be getting some fire wood too.

See you all on Friday.

Jared, you have the prettiest map pics, what did you use this time?

Apple Maps + Pixelmator = map goodness

Was it the "Maps" app in Maverick's/Yosemite?? 'm trying to come up with a use for it... ;-)

Now you know what it's good for... ::amuse::

Anyone heard back from Martin? Is he meeting up at the South Bay waypoint?

-Jared

Archived