NCLR Show & Tell: Traveling to Central America (Nicaragua, Belize, etc...) & India

Mark Perez spent his summer traveling in Central America, and Ron & his family in India.

For those interested in planning a similar trip next summer or in the near future, we are planning a Show & Tell at Mexxis Saturday Aug 30th (around dinner time) 5-8pm. http://www.mexxis.com/

Thanks to Enrique for hosting and allowing us the platform to do this at his family restaurant Mexxis; Guest can order and enjoy tasty cuisines from the menu - flavor from Southern Mexico.

Mark Perez will recount his travels to Central America. Including trip planning, fuel cost, and vehicle prep of his Land Rover Discovery II. He started his journey from the Bay Area (Palo Alto), crossed the US/Mexico border to Baja Mexico, and then transported his vehicle from Cabo to the mainland Mexico via a boat ferry; he'll share more details and rest of his trip with us.... to Belize, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica among other countries in Central America.

Will take a break, continue to enjoy the tasty food. Also chat with Enrique; we talked about a future trip to Chiapas trip of Mexico.

Then Ron, his wife Roselyn and two young boys Max/Jake will share their family trip experience in India (Northern India parts of Delhi, Agra, and Rajasthan). Ron will cover trip planning, air fare cost, and transportation/getting around in India. Roselyn will share her perspective about personal safety and food in India. Bring your kids and ask Max/Jake question on how they liked traveling in India.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here; will see you all there! http://norcalrovers.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=108&day=2014-8-30&c=2

For those interested in planning a similar trip next summer or in the near future, we are planning a Show & Tell at Mexxis Saturday Aug 30th (around dinner time).

Ron,

What time do you eat dinner in your house? .... can we be more specific please? I don't want to miss any of it!

Graeme

I am thinking between 5 and 6pm we all meet at Mexxis and order food & start eating, and at 6pm start the show & tell w/Mark first, and our India trip at 7pm. And folks with dinner plans already can just come for the show & tell and perhaps just order your favorite beverage (smile). See if I can get a hold of some King Fisher beer or Sula (red wine brand from Ragastran) from India - for the show, tell and taste (double smile) portion of our presentation.

Will that work folks timing wise?

I am thinking between 5 and 6pm we all meet at Mexxis and order food & start eating, and at 6pm start the show & tell w/Mark first, and our India trip at 7pm. And folks with dinner plans already can just come for the show & tell and perhaps just order your favorite beverage (smile). See if I can get a hold of some King Fisher beer or Sula (red wine brand from Ragastran) from India - for the show, tell and taste (double smile) portion of our presentation.

Will that work folks timing wise?

Hi Ron,

Glad you liked the India trip.

I will try to make it to the show. If you are looking for Kingfisher beer you can find that in Fremont in few locations below,

Sidhu Liquor & Grocery

3896 Walnut Ave, Fremont, CA 94538

Bevmo

5171 Mowry Ave, Fremont, CA 94538

Regards

Thanks. Will have to swing by one of these places.

Hi Ron,

Glad you liked the India trip.

I will try to make it to the show. If you are looking for Kingfisher beer you can find that in Fremont in few locations below,

Sidhu Liquor & Grocery

3896 Walnut Ave, Fremont, CA 94538

Bevmo

5171 Mowry Ave, Fremont, CA 94538

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder our Show and Tell is this Saturday; way to start the 3 day wknd. Grab your food by 5pm; will start with Mark at 6pm for Central America, and then India at 7pm

Also I will be stopping by Bevmo to pick-up supplies of King Fisher Beer - anyone interested (smile). Will give Pacificos a break for now.

Ron,

Do you mind if I record the show & tell for our NCLR YouTube channel?

Thanks,

Erin

We have a youtube channel?

I was going to do this, then I was out since I need to do some work on the truck and it's a long haul just for a few hours, but now it looks like I need to run down to the east bay Saturday to pick some stuff up anyway, so I'm back on. At least for now.

Ron,

Do you mind if I record the show & tell for our NCLR YouTube channel?

Thanks,

Erin

I don't mind; will let my wife know that she will be recorded; I'd like her to be involved in the presentation; share her perspective.

We have a youtube channel?

I was going to do this, then I was out since I need to do some work on the truck and it's a long haul just for a few hours, but now it looks like I need to run down to the east bay Saturday to pick some stuff up anyway, so I'm back on. At least for now.

Yes, we have YouTube channel now... it's new, something Tom, Brenton and I have been working on for our PR and such.

Buttons to our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and YouTube will be added to this website soon.

I wanted to get a video posted and I thought this would be a good one for those who can't make it up (or down) to come and hear the stories.

You can visit our YouTube channel here.

It's still in infancy, so no club videos as of yet, but some subscriptions we are following are from some of our members.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Ok just confirmed with Mark Perez that he will be at Mexxis tomorrow as planned.

And so will be and my family. King Fisher was out of stock but I did find another lager beer from India that I like; don't let the name fool you Taj Mahal thinking tourist trap - actually pretty tasty; I will bring a few bottles for anyone interested in sampling.

See you all at Mexxis. Again 5-6 start ordering your food; Mark will start his show/tell at 6pm; follow-up by India at 7pm.

C yah!

King Fisher was out of stock

I've never had Kingfisher, but see it at my local Bevmo all of the time.

I'll swing by and bring some if they have it... then we can try both!

Any beers made in Belize or Nicaragua I should hunt for? ::bigsmile::

-Jared

I've never had Kingfisher, but see it at my local Bevmo all of the time.

I'll swing by and bring some if they have it... then we can try both!

Any beers made in Belize or Nicaragua I should hunt for? ::bigsmile::

-Jared

That would be awesome. I will make sure to bring extra Taj Mahal lager beer (story gets better) ::bigsmile::

When I was in Costa Rica few years ago, all I had was Imperial Beer. Pura Vida!

Hey Ron and Mark;

Thanks for putting on a great discussion about India and Central America! The beer selection was fun to try (don't remember which one we decided was best but Kingfisher was one of my favorites from India) -- additionally, thanks to Enrique for hosting the event at Mexxi's (the NCLR Special was great, btw.)

Here are the few pics I took of the trucks in attendance:

Mark's Disco II:

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0908.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0909.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0910.jpg

The lineup [Anudeep (LR3), Jared (Range Rover), Mark (DII), Ron (DII)]:

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0912.jpg

...and Don with the LR3 & trailer waaay out there:

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0914.jpg

-Jared

Jared, I had 4 large bottles of the Taj Mahal beer to share originally; however, got thirsty early in the day while working in my backyard so 4 bottles were reduced to 2. Thanks for bringing the extra supplies of KingFisher. It's my favorite also!

And when you and Erin do make it to India in a few years from now, my other advise is don't drink the water there instead go for a cold King Fisher :)

By the way, Mark is moving to Nicaragua. He is selling his 2003 Disco II pictured on this thread. He is going to send me link to the CL for sale ad; price $10k. NCLR members $9k.

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/nclr_show_tell/IMG_0908.jpg

Archived