MORG this Sat?

After Tom left, there was some drama....

Remember the flat-black RRC we saw in the mud pit? He stuck around playing for a while then we lost track of him. We were about to leave and parked over near the restrooms talking with Jarrod and his father when the driver from the RRC came walking up - he'd lost his transmission in a somewhat nasty part of the mud bowl and was looking for a tow. No problem - I was able to get my LR3 over in front of him but he didn't have any good recovery points. We put the strap around his frame mounted bull bar and I was able to ease him forward a bit (enough to get him off his rear hitch which was dragging on a departure) but it was going to be tough to get him past the water obstacles without one of us sliding sideways into the drink. About that time a guy with a fully locked Bronco on 35s arrived on scene and used his winch to pull him backwards out of the hazard. He was then able to tow him around to solid ground, pulling backward the whole way because the Bronco had a home-made rear bumper, and although he had installed recovery points they were only 5/8" and my shackles were 3/4"!

After some more discussion, I towed the RRC down to the road where he could get a tow without paying through the nose for an 'off road recovery'. Michele switched seats with one of the Bronco guys- she has a thing for old trucks and the Bronco guy was suitably appreciative of the comparative luxury of the Rover. Our crippled RRC driver called his wife for her AAA number but the call didn't go as well as it could. After he hung up with her he said something like 'I don't think she understood the gravity of the situation'; i.e the tow truck was NOT on the way. Bronco guy to the rescue again! One of them had a rig and flat bed at his house in Hollister so I gave him a ride into town to pick it up, then he and his buddy were going to haul the disabled Rover all the way to the guy's home for a tank of diesel and dinner. Hats off to those guys - they really went out of their way to help.

I had to run by my office in Oakland and do some quick work, then we stopped for a bite, so I just got home about 8:00. All in all not a bad way to spend the day. :)

Tomorrow I'll have to bust out the pressure washer and go after the truck. I brought home just a little mud.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don,

Great to meet you and Michele, next time we talk about boats!

Hey, if THIS the RRC? I saw this in SF last week...

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/MORG-3114/i-srrFGZP/0/M/WP_20140220_07_52_56_Pro__highres-M.jpg

No, just a standard truck. I think the 'flat black' was more of a 'hasn't seen polish in 20 years' as opposed to something custom. I think you gave the guy a club hand-out (?-somebody did) and we all suggested he come check out the website at least. Maybe he'll pop up here asking for transmission information soon. ;)

Guest Pedram

Tom those wheels and tires look great. Where did you find those.... Nice find in SF. Giving me some ideas......

Don you crazy tow truck rover guy. Glad I didn't go with my truck this week. I have a feeling I would of broke it at Hollister.... Oh wait I did that two weeks ago.

After Tom left, there was some drama....

Remember the flat-black RRC we saw in the mud pit? He stuck around playing for a while then we lost track of him. We were about to leave and parked over near the restrooms talking with Jarrod and his father when the driver from the RRC came walking up - he'd lost his transmission in a somewhat nasty part of the mud bowl and was looking for a tow. No problem - I was able to get my LR3 over in front of him but he didn't have any good recovery points. We put the strap around his frame mounted bull bar and I was able to ease him forward a bit (enough to get him off his rear hitch which was dragging on a departure) but it was going to be tough to get him past the water obstacles without one of us sliding sideways into the drink. About that time a guy with a fully locked Bronco on 35s arrived on scene and used his winch to pull him backwards out of the hazard. He was then able to tow him around to solid ground, pulling backward the whole way because the Bronco had a home-made rear bumper, and although he had installed recovery points they were only 5/8" and my shackles were 3/4"!

After some more discussion, I towed the RRC down to the road where he could get a tow without paying through the nose for an 'off road recovery'. Michele switched seats with one of the Bronco guys- she has a thing for old trucks and the Bronco guy was suitably appreciative of the comparative luxury of the Rover. Our crippled RRC driver called his wife for her AAA number but the call didn't go as well as it could. After he hung up with her he said something like 'I don't think she understood the gravity of the situation'; i.e the tow truck was NOT on the way. Bronco guy to the rescue again! One of them had a rig and flat bed at his house in Hollister so I gave him a ride into town to pick it up, then he and his buddy were going to haul the disabled Rover all the way to the guy's home for a tank of diesel and dinner. Hats off to those guys - they really went out of their way to help.

I had to run by my office in Oakland and do some quick work, then we stopped for a bite, so I just got home about 8:00. All in all not a bad way to spend the day. :)

Tomorrow I'll have to bust out the pressure washer and go after the truck. I brought home just a little mud.

Oh wow - that stinks for the guy, but great that there were some helpful folks around. It's always good to go in groups and help out when you can. Nice to see you again and meet Michele. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say bye, but you guys were busy playing in the mud and I had to get home. Your rig was looking great! Talk to you soon about picking up the sliders/skid plates.

Green, black...tomayto, tomahto.. ;-)

Yes, I did give him the flyer, Dan I think, had his young son with him.. Nice guy, glad it worked out for him/them. Way to step in and get the ball rolling.... Thanks!

It was great to see everyone again and to meet your friend David. Tom I think you summed it up pretty well so I'll just post some pictures. Graeme I'm excited about your bumpers. I cant wait to see the LR3-4 stuff!!

full album.http://s33.photobucket.com/user/barron32/slideshow/MORG%202-14

Tom I think you summed it up pretty well so I'll just post some pictures.

+1

But I will toss in this video... not much to start with, but we catch a glimpse of Tom's sideways approach to the first obstacle on the way up to Top of the world near the end... :cool:

-Jared

Another exciting MORG

Hope to see all of you at Mexxis next Saturday March 8 for the BOD mtg (10-12noon) and Rovers Relief Fundraising (12noon and up)

It sure was a good one, and glad a few people were there later on to help the Rover in distress. We were probably eating lunch a few miles away, so .... people need to get their amateur radio licenses.

As for March 8th, I'm planning on being there ... but I'm still a bit concerned about coming early after that comment about the worm .....!

Regards,

Graeme

The link to the album works, but the photos all come up dead saying the originals have been moved or deleted. I did click one and follow it to photobucket but no-go. I did however find some really cool fish-lamp pictures.

I know Jarrod uses i-stuff, so I may just not be able to paly his video since I live in PC/IE-11 land.

It was a great time at the MORG on Saturday - had a blast seeing everyone and playing in the mud and making the trek up to the outlook. Awesome time with a lot of great rigs and company.

Here is a link to my photos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/EireAngus/library/March%202014%20MORG

Josh is planning to join NCLR, but here is a link to his photos:

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/jdbrincks/library/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Josh%20Brinckss%20MacBook%20Pro/Hollister%2013-0706/Hollister%2014-0301

Thanks to Tom and Barron for posting their photos - some awesome shots in all these albums.

Looking forward to the next MORG or outing.... likely by then will have my new sliders and plates installed.

-David

glad you guys had fun.

what I find interesting is the evolution of things...

I remember well all the discussions we used to have about the LR3 and whether it was a true rover or not. then a few guys picked one up (like Squatch) and we learned to appreciate the truck's capabilities. then fast-forward to now and it's all LR3's and 4's. used to be all discos with a few classics and a couple defenders. guess it's the nature of things...

I know Jarrod uses i-stuff, so I may just not be able to paly his video since I live in PC/IE-11 land.

Hi Don;

I republished in .m4v format... should be Windows-compatible now. It was in Apple QuickTime (.mov) format - old habits die hard.

Also, for anyone who wants to see where we went, I breadcrumbed our path and exported it to EveryTrail.

GPX available here.

-Jared

glad you guys had fun.

what I find interesting is the evolution of things...

I remember well all the discussions we used to have about the LR3 and whether it was a true rover or not. then a few guys picked one up (like Squatch) and we learned to appreciate the truck's capabilities. then fast-forward to now and it's all LR3's and 4's. used to be all discos with a few classics and a couple defenders. guess it's the nature of things...

Wish I could've made it out, but at least the snow was nice. It's nice to see some of the "old" Rovers out. I remember when I first got into this I was always wishing to see more new Rovers, and now it feels nice to see the RRCs and D1s out.

But then I get jealous of how comfy the newer ones are.

I was a little surprised at the ratio as well but it makes sense I guess. The LR3 is getting old enough now and prices are coming down to a point where people are more willing to take them out and bang them around. If I had bought a new LR4 at $60-70K instead of my old '07 truck for less than 1/3 that I'd be a little hesitant to really USE it as well.

They seem to be a great platform for mild wheeling and travel. They are easy to drive and so far the air suspension been pretty reliable unlike previous generations (*cough Antonio cough*). Of course, when you really want to push things the older Disco/Classic/Defender/etc platforms can be taken much further than the LR3/4. For example, it's almost impossible to get more than 32" of tire under these things...which is why I've got skids and sliders on the way!

Wish I could've made it out, but at least the snow was nice. It's nice to see some of the "old" Rovers out. I remember when I first got into this I was always wishing to see more new Rovers, and now it feels nice to see the RRCs and D1s out.

we are the ones that will be jealous soon enough, mr. G63. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmz-Evlmxk

The link to the album works, but the photos all come up dead saying the originals have been moved or deleted. I did click one and follow it to photobucket but no-go. I did however find some really cool fish-lamp pictures.

I know what I did now. My fault. I just edited it but I'll just leave the link to the full photos instead of posting them all up again.

found my old craigslist pics huh? haha

Missed you on the trails! Next time.

Archived