Official NCLR Rubicon trip Sept 12-15

Graeme,

I may be a it off on my impressions of the Tesla S. But electrics have always been good at acceleration. While there were at Sears, did they happen to post any times for the full circuit? Perhaps compared to an M3 sedan? That would be a similar price point I think?

I don't actually want to disparage the S; I think it's a pretty impressive car. But I still think it's a 2nd car, not something you'd want as your only vehicle. I'm shocked (ha!) at how many I see on the roads in the bay area. I've even seen one or two on the interstates between Sac and SF, though I would imagine the small battery option would be taxed to make that run and back with the usual running around on both ends. I would wonder about that 265 mile range in real-world driving. I know Nissan claimed some decent numbers for their Leaf as well, but real-world use has put it well under 100 miles per charge. I have an acquaintance with a Leaf who loves it and constantly touts the wonders of not buying gas. And every time I see him he's begging people for an extension cord so he can get home.

Er, ah, back to Rovers...I recall when the latest Explorer came out I was impressed, thinking 'that looks very up-market; definitely has some Range Rover touches'.

The fact is though I don't matter much to either company. Last night I was shopping for Transit Connects and Nissan NV200s. Now those are some sexy beasts there!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure 265 miles is real world driving. I know people that commute Livermore to Antioch over vasco rd with the model S no probs. not scrounging for power. I have a 550i 6 speed manual and the Model S just blows me away. Also handles the corners very well. I know this from driving both hard and being impressed with the S. I agree it is expensive but you do get a great car that can handle 90% of people's commutes/lives. This is of course the 85 kw big battery pack. Additionally if you can plug in for free it's an even better deal (my hospital has a power station but i don't have the S bc I like driving my car better. Personal preference really not just performance).

Back to Rovers: yes pretty sure Ford kept all the blueprints so they all look alike.

lot of news coming from Land Rover this week for Discovery.

so they confirmed new Discovery Sport will hit in 2015 to replace the Freelander.. with the design cues and some of the tech carrying over from the vision concept. It's gonna be a premium compact SUV..

http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/land-rover-confirms-discovery-sport-name-new-freelander-0416942181

I thought they already have a premium compact SUV called the evoque..

I'm willing to give the Tesla a second look. I'm even willing to give the new Disco a second look. But the truth is I don't see either of them landing in my driveway.

I'm willing to give the Tesla a second look. I'm even willing to give the new Disco a second look. But the truth is I don't see either of them landing in my driveway.

Me either. I think the Tesla is brilliant, but I would never want one.

I think the Discovery Sport will be a bit more up market than the outgoing LR2, but I still don't like it. I still don't like the new RRS, or even the full-sized RR. Sure, some trim models look sharp, but it's all so mainstream in design. Nothing special. It's sad.

While I think the technology is cutting edge and sort of cool, I would never want it. I purposely ordered my LR4 without the surround cameras because I don't want any of those gadgets.

Like I said before, I am keeping my 2013 LR4 long term, as it has the iconic design and capability, as well as the V8.

I still love Land Rovers, but I will always cling to the past and probably not embrace the future designs.

Our best hope is for a new Defender to come to the US.

It could happen.

Maybe.

Seriously thought, given that Jeep seems to be selling JKs like hotcakes in the $30-40K range, I would think a Defender in that same price range (OK, maybe a little more, say $40-50K) and with as much or more capability as a Rubi should be a no-brainer.

But then again, I'm not a car marketing guy. And marketing guys always know best, right?

Our best hope is for a new Defender to come to the US.

It could happen.

Maybe.

Seriously thought, given that Jeep seems to be selling JKs like hotcakes in the $30-40K range, I would think a Defender in that same price range (OK, maybe a little more, say $40-50K) and with as much or more capability as a Rubi should be a no-brainer.

But then again, I'm not a car marketing guy. And marketing guys always know best, right?

I am absolutely holding out and hoping that the new Defender that is slated to come to the US in a few years will be iconic and capable. I would love for the current version to be US-approved and they just bring that over, maybe do a few touch ups (or whatever those marketing guys need to do) to the interior, but that's it. I want something like a JK - simple and functional and not priced at $80K.

If it looks similar to what it is now, and has a TD like Graeme was saying, then I am in and my 2013 LR4 may be up for sale.

Though, to be honest, I feel as though it will come here and look like another soft Evoque. I suspect I am keeping my LR4 long term. I don't have much hope for the new age of Discovery.

Me either. I think the Tesla is brilliant, but I would never want one.

Good job this is a Land Rover forum then ....

Regards,

Graeme

Good job this is a Land Rover forum then ....

Regards,

Graeme

Haha - thank goodness! Though, Graeme, in our lovely little town of San Carlos, I am willing to bet a lot of Land Rover owners also have a Tesla. ;-)

Is it me or are the Land Rover owners in San Carlos particularly annoying? Then again, I typically can't stand most Land Rover drivers.

Haha - thank goodness! Though, Graeme, in our lovely little town of San Carlos, I am willing to bet a lot of Land Rover owners also have a Tesla. ;-)

Is it me or are the Land Rover owners in San Carlos particularly annoying? Then again, I typically can't stand most Land Rover drivers.

Ha!!

<biting tongue>

Defender news:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114042273826/land-rover-defender-family-to-focus-on-affordability-

http://blog.caranddriver.com/defend-and-expand-next-land-rover-defender-to-spawn-family-of-rugged-attainable-models/

Speaking at the New York Auto Show, Gerry McGovern suggested the Defender family won't borrow styling cues from the DC 100 and DC 100 Sport concepts which were introduced in 2011. As he explained, "I wouldn’t take note of those concept vehicles we did a couple of years ago."

Good news ?

Archived