Overland ExPo

Have fun. I won't be able to swing it this year. Hopefully next year.

Say Hi to Shayne and Sandra for me. They were a lot of fun to talk with on the DV trip last year as they are traveling around the world. In case you haven't seen this, here is their Camel Trophy 110 coming down Mengel Pass: [video=vimeo;63510816]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say "Hi" to the Young's, and we may be camping with them. Last year they were staked out near the CT obstacle course, and probably will again this year. Once we have a final head count on vehicles, I'll let him know and see if we can all camp together. The Lizzybus will be with them too.

If you want to sign up for classes you better do it quick! They released the schedule this morning, the 1/2 day driving classes are already full and the marshalling courses are filling up. Here's my schedule:

Friday, May 16, 2014

9:00 AM Overland Driving Skills & Awareness

11:00 AM Camel Trophy Skills

1:00 PM Camel Trophy Skills

2:00 PM Daily 4WD Vehicle Maintenance

3:00 PM Camel Trophy Skills

4:00 PM Is There a Book in You?—NEW

Saturday, May 17, 2014

8:00 AM Advanced Tires: Tread, pressure and traction—NEW

10:00 AM Tech Essentials: Tire Repair

1:00 PM I Think We've Been Walking in Circles: Basic compass skills + field and map bearings

3:00 PM Vehicle Marshalling Skills - COED

4:00 PM Tech Essentials: Survey of Vehicle Tool Kits

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Visit Exhibitor area

I didn't schedule any classes this day. My family will be visiting for a bit and it's a good recoup day before heading out to the Mojave.

I just registered for my classes also... Looking like we are going to end up going to most of the same classes as you, except Elizabeth will be shooting off to some women's specific courses occasionally.

Bummed the terrain driving courses filled up so fast ;-/ I registered immediately after the email hit my inbox and they were already full.

I talked to Shayne a couple weeks ago and he is thinking that he might not make it this year because of business drama? He did suggest that we get there early and rope off an area large enough for the group because it fills up fast.

Is the caravan still at 4 trucks?

Brenton

Sean & Liz

Antonio

Alyson

If we want a better camping spot at OE, we could drive to Bakersfield (4 hours away) Wednesday after work instead of leaving early Thursday morning. They open the gates at noon on Thursday, so we could get there mid afternoon instead of later in the evening. I personally like that idea because we'll have lots of light when we get there to find and setup camp.

I think Bill MIGHT caravan out with us and will return on Mojave road.

Is the caravan still at 4 trucks?

Brenton

Sean & Liz

Antonio

Alyson

If we want a better camping spot at OE, we could drive to Bakersfield (4 hours away) Wednesday after work instead of leaving early Thursday morning. They open the gates at noon on Thursday, so we could get there mid afternoon instead of later in the evening. I personally like that idea because we'll have lots of light when we get there to find and setup camp.

Ok cool. Haven't seen him on here so I wasn't sure what his plan is. Sean, would you mind keeping Bill (and us) updated on travel plans?

One thing about leaving on Wed. that I forgot about last night, is that it's my girlfriend's birthday party that night. So if there is a consensus to leave that night, I'll probably leave the Bay Area around 10pm.

This week I'm going to go over the route for Mojave and see which areas would be good campsites. Are there any places in particular anyone wants to see while we're out there? Long diversions, like the Kelso Depot, would take a while to get given the tight return schedule. But it shouldn't be a race to the end either.

I will meet you guys over there. I plan to leave Sunday 5/11 and meet my friend at the Grand Canyon. We are going to explore the area and head over to the event early Thursday. I will see if we can get a good camping spot.

For the Mojave trip, i have no preference either. I never been there so don't know what to expect. Do we know what time we are planning to head out on Sunday? Depending of what time we leave the event on Sunday, i might sign up for a class early in the morning.

Oh, did you guys sign up to films and lunch? I think you need to sign up if you plan to watch the films they will be showing at night. I am not sure about the lunch, you might have to pay for it but I signed up.

Your best bet at this point is to go straight to the registration list page. Don't bother planning out your days on their empty sheet. I spent an hour or so doing that only to throw it away in the first 10 seconds of actually registering the classes.

Get an idea of what you want and select the first ones you see available.

Oh, I'll have to go back and add the lunches just in case. This morning I added the Walkabout breakfast and a couple classes for Sunday afternoon.

What does everyone have scheduled for Sunday afternoon? Just trying to get a rough departure time that works for everyone. I'll pack before heading to the breakfast on Sunday. It's 3 hours to Laughlin, and (some of us) will need to refuel and get last minute supplies. Figure another hour to get on the trail and find a camp site after that.

Ya my idea was to consume provided meals when possible and save stuff for Mojave return.

Currently i have:

Exhibitors Host "Walkabout Breakfast" (Details)

Sunday Lunch Options (Details)

GPS: The basics (Details)

Overland Cooking Demo (Details)

Tech Essentials: Auxiliary Lights for Overland Vehicles and Bikes—NEW (Details)

3:00 PM - 3:50 PM

Celebration BBQ At The Main Lodge

I can skip whichever is necessary to get out of town when needed...

Here's my schedule:

FRIDAY

9-11, Recovery Techniques with a winch

1-3, Recovery Techniques without a winch

3-4, Keeping your gear organized on the road

4-5, Basic Winching (may skip out on this if it's too basic, but wasn't a lot else in this slot anyway)

SATURDAY

8-10, Advanced Driving, water and computers can mix

10-12, Tech essentials, tire repair

1-3, Rolled Vehicle demo - what to do next

3-4, Vehicle marshaling

4-5, AZ Backcountry Discovery Route

SUNDAY

10-11, Overland Driving Skills and Awareness

11-12, AK by motorcycle

2-4, Advanced Tires, tread, pressure and traction

I figured in a fair bit of 'down time' for cruising the Camel Skills area and the vendor areas.

See, I thought the first step was to scream 'hoy Sh!t somebody get me out of here!'

At least that's pretty much what I did when I was 18 and rolled my car in a ditch after falling asleep at the wheel.

I've already let Danette Woo know about our travel dates. She's the Environmental Compliance & Special Park Uses for the Mojave National Preserve. She said to send in a new application, referencing our unused one from last year to avoid the fee. Right now we're under the 7 vehicle limit, but Shayne might join us as well as a friend of his. That might put us over, so I want to have it and not worry, even if we stay under the limit.

Is everyone going to OE also going on the Mojave Road coming back? Work's been crazy this week (and today is my birthday) so I won't get much done after work tonight. If anyone wants to talk about Mojave this Saturday at the meeting/fundraiser, I'll bring my book and maps.

I've already let Danette Woo know about our travel dates. She's the Environmental Compliance & Special Park Uses for the Mojave National Preserve. She said to send in a new application, referencing our unused one from last year to avoid the fee. Right now we're under the 7 vehicle limit, but Shayne might join us as well as a friend of his. That might put us over, so I want to have it and not worry, even if we stay under the limit.

Is everyone going to OE also going on the Mojave Road coming back? Work's been crazy this week (and today is my birthday) so I won't get much done after work tonight. If anyone wants to talk about Mojave this Saturday at the meeting/fundraiser, I'll bring my book and maps.

Ah... another March birthday! Happy Birthday Brenton!

Mine is next Tuesday!

-Erin

Yes, I'm still planning to return with the group through Mojave and can leave the expo after 2pm on Sunday.

Getting there, departing Bay Area Wednesday night sounds good. I heard all the good camping spots are gone by 2pm Thursday and if we want spots together, earlier is better.

Archived