Tips/Tricks Pismo Beach Offroading, anyone?

Y'all,

Through a quirk of fate I will be in SLO next weekend (March 1-3).

Actually, it is not a quirk of fate, it is my middle child's gym meet and I convinced the wife (with the kids' help) to add a day to 4x4 on the dunes. Thank 'the powers that be' that my kids love off-roading - their screaming for off-roading on the beach was very persuasive [loud]. For those that have been, can you share and good insights? Trip tips? Insights? My Lr3 is stock, with the exception of some Nitto 18" tires. A recommended pressure for the tires? Necessary recovery equipment? (I.e., can i justify a winch for this? Since rock sliders are not as likely to be relevant....)

We won't be camping in the park, so it will be a day trip, but I would live to make the most of it since it is the only place in CA where I can get sand, mud, and surf mixed into a single trip.

Drew.

Your lr3 can pretty much go where ever you want with some caution.Anytime your going away from the ocean you will hit the tops of slip faces with a steep drop and going north to south you hit razorbacks witch have drop on both ends.Best is to follow Sand HWY it runs right down the middle of the dunes with no major spots.For tires I would go 15-25psi.If you need any help or need a trail guild let me know i should be in town.A tow strap and a shovel is always a good idea and dont forget a flag.

I have found that a truck stop firestick antenna with a nice solid mount worked well. My friend used a 108" whip on his truck with a small flag (like shop rag size) and that worked well too. As long as you remember to take it down when you go off the sand, a broom handle will work if you have a way to easily attach it to the rack.

Shame all of us SLO county locals will be in Hollister this weekend otherwise we would join you.

Yes, the irony of rarely being able to get together with the group - but going off-roading when so many NCLR'rs can be found is not wasted on me.

And Mike, thanks for the "water bad sand good" advice. I was waiting for that to come across!

I have found that a truck stop firestick antenna with a nice solid mount worked well. My friend used a 108" whip on his truck with a small flag (like shop rag size) and that worked well too. As long as you remember to take it down when you go off the sand, a broom handle will work if you have a way to easily attach it to the rack.

I think I'll rig some clamp mounts lined with rubber up the rail of the rear ladder. That should do just fine. Is there a min/max on flag size? I found an awesome 3x5 flag that I really like...

You can use that flag, but it would have to be under the required flag. Flag requirements changed a few years ago.

The whip or pole must extend at least 8' off the ground, and remain upright when stopped.

The flag must be solid red, or orange, at least 6" x 12" and no more than 10" from the top of the whip.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/whip%20flag-oceano%20dunes.pdf

Buy it, buy some "safety orange marker paint" at home depot and spray it. When you get home, rinse it out.

I can't believe the Brenton of the Technicolor Hair didn't have better suggestions.

Buy it, buy some "safety orange marker paint" at home depot and spray it. When you get home, rinse it out.

I can't believe the Brenton of the Technicolor Hair didn't have better suggestions.

The Technicolor hair might join us at Hollister tomorrow.

Archived