OFFICIAL : Death Valley 2013

NOTE: Just added a PDF file that has all the trip details -- updated after our conference call... Check it out for updated attendee and trip ite

Trip is over Easter Week - which starts on March 29th, 2013 - and ends April 7, 2013. Details of where we are at in trip planning are on another thread -- please make your comments there and leave this thread for questions and updates about the trip and your attendance. Chuck Mobraten will lead the trip once again, but due to Park Service regulations and the size of our group, we may need another trip leader to assist if we are required to split up our camping locations to comply with Park Service regulations.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll fill out the required info later but I am planning on attending and will happily take the medical officer position. As the trip gets closer I would appreciate any special med info the participants are willing to share with me(privately of course. Examples are special medications or conditions etc).

I will re-confirm the dates with my PTO request at work, but consider me in.

a) Arrive Friday, will caravan with DesertCrawler

B) Solo

c) stay until Saturday

d) CB currently, taking exam on 2/3 for Tech license

e) This is my first time going to Death Valley

Ok here are the details:

Arriving Friday night, not planning on caravanning but open to it. I'm plenty slow tops is 65. Leaving from Livermore. Leaving Saturday and planning on single shot home. Just checking, is everyone planning on on heading down I5 past Bakersfield and then east and then north to the meet up? Also will there be GPS files of our planned route avail or should I make my own?

Bringing my dad Ron (he will be 70 but acts like a teenager ;) ). Not sure about bringing my dog Wasabi yet. I think it's too much car time not enough lake/water time for the heat. I have to do more research.

I have CB only (might look into HAM before the trip, I do have the SPOT with inreach so I can send and receive text messages. I can also turn on the tracking feature)

First time to Death Valley.

Count me IN!

a) Will arrive GoldPoint Saturday. Possibly Friday night, depending on work. Hopefully it won't be snowing this year!

B) 3 people, myself, Ella (Desert Princess) 5yo, JT 4yo

c) Planning to stay until the end

d) HAM and CB

e) Been to DV2011 and DV2012

Chris, it is actually faster to head over 80 and then down 95 to get to Gold Point. Gold Point is actually not in DV. It is north east of the park.

I highly recommend everyone trying to get their HAM license before the trip. The HAMs are so much nicer to use with longer reach and less chatter. Good luck.

I can offer up the Elk Grove contingent (me, Rob and Beaver) to head up a second group if need be.

I will come along with a view to breaking my 2012 attendance record of 4 hrs:

a)Which night you will be arriving - Friday, possibly Saturday - Will run down with Ted and Beaver

b)Total # of people, including ages of minors - Myself and Daughter Bella (10 going on 28)

c)When you will be leaving the trip - Mid week due to work

d)Whether you have a HAM radio or a CB - Both

e)Whether you have been on prior NCLR Death Valley trips - Yes 2011 & 2012

For planning purposes, it is about 9 hours of driving time, plus breaks, from the Peninsula to Gold Point. You end up driving through Reno rather than the Southern Route via Bakersfield. We will be returning that way, since we exit the south side of the park this year.

Count me IN!

a) Will arrive GoldPoint Saturday. Possibly Friday night, depending on work. Hopefully it won't be snowing this year!

B) 3 people, myself, Ella (Desert Princess) 5yo, JT 4yo

c) Planning to stay until the end

d) HAM and CB

e) Been to DV2011 and DV2012

Chris, it is actually faster to head over 80 and then down 95 to get to Gold Point. Gold Point is actually not in DV. It is north east of the park.

I highly recommend everyone trying to get their HAM license before the trip. The HAMs are so much nicer to use with longer reach and less chatter. Good luck.

I can offer up the Elk Grove contingent (me, Rob and Beaver) to head up a second group if need be.

Ok so here it goes.

I will have 2 vehicles.

93 classic set up

00 disco set up

arriving friday

with 4 adults (5th mabey) and 1 kid Aden (5)

Staying the whole trip

Have Both ham and CB

4th time to DV

If needed I can do some trail leading and will be a trip mechanic again as always

I will be joining as #11 (colinb #2). Should be my D2 with my girlfriend Jamie and possibly her some Aiden. Still need to firm up our plans but for sure Colin and I will be attending!

Now to study up for the HAM...

Chuck, I'd like to officially sign up for this trip, if there's room for one more.

A) Arrive Saturday

B) Myself and two children; Sebastian (who turns 15 on 3/28) and Isabel 7 y/o

C) Staying for the duration

D) HAM & CB. not sure which rig yet...LR3 with 9000k winch or LWB with 9000k winch too

E) Have not been on previous NCLR DV trips

Thankfully I now am a HAM and will be able to talk with everyone on thus trip. I will have HAM and CB on my truck.

There is a possibility that Jamie's parents will be joining the group for the Goldpoint weekend in their AWD Ford Escape. They would ether ride along with me or join the group depending on the trail difficulty. They will then leave on Sunday or monday when the group breaks camp for the next destination. I will update when I have more information.

Thankfully I now am a HAM and will be able to talk with everyone on thus trip. I will have HAM and CB on my truck.

There is a possibility that Jamie's parents will be joining the group for the Goldpoint weekend in their AWD Ford Escape. They would ether ride along with me or join the group depending on the trail difficulty. They will then leave on Sunday or monday when the group breaks camp for the next destination. I will update when I have more information.

Congrats Paul! HAM is really the way to go.

I've updated the itinerary for Death Valley. As we have so much interest this year, I wanted to focus on known camping areas that have room for lots of vehicles. Plus add a bit of fun and excitement. Check out the new proposed itinerary on the first part of this thread. Anyone who doesn't take the whole week off might think about spending the first three days with us at Gold Point. You would get a good preview of what the larger, extended trip would be like. Also, on the back end we are going be staying in a pretty unique area, and exploring the majestic Dumont Sand Dunes. Think big version of Pismo without the water. And a interesting trail with some historic mines.

I'm waiting to hear from the Board of Directors on the need for a group permit -- but have tried to get us to spend as much time as we can outside the park as possible, while still hitting some of the interesting areas, to avoid requirements to split the group up...

Archived