Gauging Interest in 2013 NCLR Alaska trip

Check the 2012 and beginning of 2013 threads for your estimates. I'd guess the absolute minimum for a single is 3+K $. I know my ferry costs will be 2K+(bringing a 10ft trailer--addnl cost) not including fuel,cabin,food.

I'd guess 2+x that for a single, less if you're splitting costs.

Ron, can you get "home schooling" for the week of June 7th?

School is impt, but we all can REALLY help him writeup "what I did on my summer vacation" essay.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ron and those interested:

I may not be able to be in the bayarea in Nov or Dec.

Would you be interested in a SKYPE meeting?

Has any used the ham repeater system via IRLP,Echolink,Wires, etc and then DMTF to call someone?

Yup! The Chef says - let's do Alaska! I'm getting ready to get the Wife her own RR right now... then take my DII and ready her as she should be! RoverDude and I have been talking already about the work schedule. Please keep me posted and count me in for the Trip.

~Out

The Chef

RoverDude??? Is that John Gadd?? Does he want to come along too? I haven't seen John in eons.

Update:

1) Rupert and Nils

2) Ron and son

3) Antonio and friend

4) Jonathan and wife?

Two more vehicles and maybe we can get group rates and sponsors!

Ron, can you get "home schooling" for the week of June 7th?

Going to be tough sell; my son's last week as a 5th grade is June 3-7 before he moves-on to middle school, and a new school. His teacher and friends have planned a small graduation party and activities that week. He doesn't want to miss the events.

Is there a cost different is taking the ferry June 7 vs June 14?

June the 7th would work better for me. I want to be able to be back by July 1st. I hope the date won't be a trip killer.

AA

Rupert/Antonio, another idea if you guys want to leave June 7th is for me and Max just to meet you in Alaska. We can fly-in Alaska, meet you there, and just rent a vehicle. Sadly we're not going to be in our Land Rover, but not the end of the world for us.

Ron and those interested:

I may not be able to be in the bayarea in Nov or Dec.

Would you be interested in a SKYPE meeting?

Has any used the ham repeater system via IRLP,Echolink,Wires, etc and then DMTF to call someone?

We an do Skype? Just send me the link so I can install skype on my PC and we can schedule the call.

I will bring our SPOT and link it to Facebook. Be great to be able to send live updates: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

A

Sorry being busy, I just checked the new updates.

Yes we can do a Skype some time next month or early December once we are set on the date.

Ron, I would like you to bring your LR. Let me see what i can do and move the departure to the 14th.

Antonio

RE: SKYPE use the video (free), not the call ($$$)

just found out SKYPE group calls are $$$ single 1-on-1 still free

We got less than 60 days to buy the ferry tix and cabin reservations.

We need a definite day to leave. June 7th or 14th. I need input ASAP

Also a show of hands. How many are more than 60% committed?

If you have any questions,call me on my cell we can also FaceTime or we can video on SKYPE.

Call me soon, I'm starting to get busy again.

I can do either date - would love to go - would plan to drive - or would be happy to Co-Pilot if that would help a brother out. I still have some questions, is this forum the best place to work this out...? Or, if I was to set up a Telephone conference bridge that everyone cold call into on... and we could even share Computer screens easily - would that be of any help? I'd guess... 30 minutes and everyone interested joins the call. Please advise.

~Out

The Chef

Bad news and Good news?

Bad news Colin and Antonio dropped out b/c of other commitments. :(

Good news I'm still committed (or should be). Jonathan 80-90%. Ron 90-100%.

Guys, name a time for the call (conference,video,computer) I'll be waiting for your replies.

Let's shoot for the June 14th ferry.

Sorry to hear Colin/Antonio both had to drop-out; there will be a next time I am sure; just need to plan a year ahead because of the cost and time commitment for this trip.

Let's shoot for the skype or I can provide toll free call-in number to discuss this further; is next week or after Thanksgiving wknd good?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Baja in May? 2013 or 2014? I was thinking of heading to Overland Expo in Flagstaff the end of May but could be persuaded to head south instead... I didn't see any threads on a possible trip to Baja. I am still bummed about the 2010 cancellation.

AK 2013 trip officially CANCELLED.

If any one wants to do an official NCLR 2014 trip, we can base it on the 2013 itinerary.

Keep in mind, if want want to go in 2014, plan NOW.

Thanks

Archived