My new "Rover"

GriffSC

You mocking me? You must be mocking me. Of course that is a cheap syncro. I was just past your place last Sunday headed to Chris at Van Cafe putting canvas on our Westy. Had it been a syncro, my LR days would have been numbered.

Oh, and cool and about as fast. I have seen them in the 7-10k range for good examples.

No, Mike, no mocking going on. Didn't even know you had a Westy... yes, I've fallen off the map.

I picked up the Syncro in Redding about a month ago. It's gonna replace my Tundra, which is simply too maintenance-free and reliable to keep around. I needed another vehicle to suck on my wallet and, besides, I'd heard good things about the Van Cafe. (So far so good with those guys.)

Anyway, my stable now includes the 110 and the Syncro. I love the van and it's practicality, better mpgs and character. It's got a Subi 2.0 motor in it, too, so that's a nice addition. Plan is to take it up to Subagon for a makeover sometime in the future. I know the Baker boys and they know the van.

Mr. President, since you have a Westy, will our vans be grandfathered into the club as LR support vehicles or something?

I like your color idea, Ron! And, yeah, Jim, it is nice to be able to put one's board inside the vehicle. I know you're envious. ;)

Hope to see you guys soon.

. Didn't even know you had a Westy... yes, I've fallen off the map. Yes, the bear encounters with the kids in Tahoe and such brought us to a Westy. Was going to get a proper RV, but limited parking would mean offisite...and little use. I love the ability to be parked at Crissy Field and pop the top to nap!

I picked up the Syncro in Redding about a month ago. It's gonna replace my Tundra, which is simply too maintenance-free and reliable to keep around. I needed another vehicle to suck on my wallet and, besides, I'd heard good things about the Van Cafe. (So far so good with those guys.) Great people. Chris there is awesome! They have a ton of stuff and are just SC relaxed. I found a ton of syncro's like yours, but none in the price range AND Westy. If I had, my LR stable may have taken a big hit. So now with 3 LR's and a Westy...what is that suckage?

Anyway, my stable now includes the 110 and the Syncro. I love the van and it's practicality, better mpgs and character. It's got a Subi 2.0 motor in it, too, so that's a nice addition. Plan is to take it up to Subagon for a makeover sometime in the future. I know the Baker boys and they know the van. Great stable. Does your Westy have the bed/back seat as well? You may find it will get more use than the 110, I warn you. And the VW people are just like LR people, just with VW's. I would love a chance to ride in the Subi motor version. I have the 1986 stocker and 70 is foot flat, and hills...ha. SOOO SLOOOWWW. Suz said I can do a Subi swap anytime (10k, EEK) but I'd love to see one and be able to hear from a friend actual ownership thoughts ongoing.

Mr. President, since you have a Westy, will our vans be grandfathered into the club as LR support vehicles or something? My Westy will be at the Annual Event for the nights. It is the family camper! So we will have the SWB and the Westy along. So, support vehicle makes a lot of sense as the designation. Until you do 5 fingers,truck hill and the gulch in the Westy and people get mad!.

It's not a Westy, Mike, just the hard top Syncro. Would have been great to find a Syncro Westy, but too spendy. Besides, I'm gonna attach the Hannibal awning (with tent sides) from the old G4 to the passenger side. The van does have the z-bed in the rear that can easily accommodate all three boys or me and another adult. The bench seat also takes three car seats/boosters easily (boys love the van). It has two jump seats, too, but probably won't keep them in for space reasons.

I also wanted something I could work with going forward; hence, the plan to take it to Joe and Jim in the future. Definitely gonna do the South African grill, front A-bar/HD bumper and rear bumper/tire carrier (both Line-X'd) sooner than later. Putting a pop-top is still an option (pop-top addition with full paint job = $15K) - would garner $30K+ with the set-up.

The Subi motor is an older version 2.0, so not as powerful as those the Bakers are putting nowadays. Motor has about 65K on it, but I can push it to 55 going over 17 and hit 70 without too much trouble. I don't push it that hard, you know. Problem with the Subi is that Van Cafe doesn't work on 'em. A buddy of mine has a bro-in-law or something that specializes in Subi engines, so that's where I'm headed next.

Freakin' love driving the thing. And you're totally right about VW owners - all kinds of waves and salutes and smiles, especially in SC, the Vanagon capital of the world.

Got a few things suspension-wise to shore up before I tackle Hollister.

Rock the Van!

May not be a Westy, but that z bed is the bomb. I sleep on it, but not nearly as wide as yours, since I have the westy cabs. Syncro westy's are all the money now. I was amazed at what we spent for our 2wd. But then again, a suspension lift and a come along and I can go most places I want to go with the family. After that, ROVER! But as with my RRC's, I love that I can work on it.....

Ours is a permanent addition to the family. We just did the 3 window canvas, working on the fridge removal kit (as the stock one is deed!) and I put my Camel 4x4 awning on it. The South African grille is my passion, but with the 86+ you have to swap out to the round headlights just to begin..so it ends up being 1k all in, for the looks. So I go to the junk yard looking for the outer light assemblies....someday I'll get it swapped.

My stocker engine, we hit 70 foot floored most all the time, but usually throttle back to 65. But, going over 17 I am at like 40-45 and working it. If you do go to the new Subi engine, I want to, I'd go with a 5 speed as well. Better for the highway.

I have heard good things about the Buslab, they do subi engines. I am not sure if Tassi does Subi motors, but they worked on mine before we got it and I really got a good feel from the shop as well. Have not needed repairs, so not found anyone East Bay yet.

As for bumpers, I need to do something up front, but an A bar just will bend back into the front end in an accident I fear. In the rear, I went with the Van Cafe rear tow hitch, the big one. Cut my stock bumper a bit, and the 2" hitch sticks out. You hit that bumper, that tow hitch will total you radiator. And kind of looks stock still.

Pop top would be cool. And I want a propex, but cha ching! I do want lifted springs, but then again, I keep it IN the garage now...and I barley clear. I do have the dual battery and want to add solar and LED's soon.

I think we may need to get together and talk VW's! We went to Burning Van, missed the "syncro events" but I have wheeled with them before. I do think about finding a Syncro and converting back to the Westy...when I have a spare 8k and time!

It must be tough for you David. First, you see Griff straying and to a man with more Rovers and a VW....how can you compete?

Don't worry,it will be ok, Griff still has room for you, hahaha.

Man you get jealous!

:D

Griff will never stray. He may dabble...but never stray. I actually love those Westies. I meet a guy 20 or so years ago along the Feather River while fishing who had one all tricked out - expedition style - that he and his wife used to vacation in. It was awesome! Nice BFG's. Winch. The perfect rig imho. To be honest, as soon as I get a bigger garage, I'll be working on a VW bug resto'. The bug fever is strong lately!

Both of you are at the top of my list. I like my men big, so to speak. So neither of you need get your giant panties in a bunch.

First of all, 'quatch, a bug resto? So you gonna be removing the driver's seat in favor of some Shaq-style rear seat lounging? Would be a riot to see a gargantuan beast such as yourself stuffed into that orb.

Mike, I like your comments and reasoning about the vans. Mine is a work in progress, but completely serviceable for now. It's good to get different opinions on rig configurations. I think, next up, will be the exhaust - gonna redo the whole shootin' match. Might consider going with the Kennedy Engineering set-up for smog purposes - apparently, the Subi swaps can cause an issue with clearing emissions here in the Communist Republic of California. Reportedly, the Kennedy kit makes everybody happy. I hear you about the SA grill conversion. Nevertheless, definitely gonna go that route for two reasons: (1) I like the rounds way better and (2) the difference in visibility. Right now, my LBs are ridiculous - have to use a headlamp and a flashlight. The HBs are Hellas and they light up the night well.

We'll definitely have to get together and chat Westagons or Syncrolias or whatever they're called...

I love the S.A. grille as well. The P.O. on ours did the headlight upgrade, just in the square lights. lows are bright, highs are really bright. I will hold off (until I find the outside light parts I need) so I can look at some maint. items and a solar panel. That is my next big thing as I would love to be able to run lights and whatever all the time...dual battery was in PO as well.

Annual event. Bring the Syncro and the 110 (if family is coming).

Archived