Hidden Winch Installed on LR4

NigelCowan

Hi there!

Just thought I'd post some pic's of the D44 hidden winch I installed...

It was kind of a PITA, bumper skin was pulled off and on about 30 times to cut and trim in order to make a perfect fit. The winch tray and bumper seem to be well fabricated and extremely sturdy.

Hey Nigel,

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, it came out awesome. Wow, it definitely looked like quite a job. I hate seeing all these cool accessories because I want them all. LOL!

Looking forward to seeing it in person sometime soon.

Are you heading to the May MORG? I am definitely going, as I want to try out my new tires!

-David

Thanks for all of the positive feedback from everyone! This is a project that I wanted to do for a while and i'm glad I did go with the hidden winch setup.

Very tiddy DIY.. I need to see up close with regards to access to clutch

Access to clutch release... we will have to talk...

Very clean indeed. Are you going to add any recovery points up front? Who makes the winch tray?

Only recovery point will be the factory loop on the lower crossmember.To be honest if you look closely at my winch tray you will notice four round bumps in the front. These are what is left of the recovery loops that come with the bumper which I elected to cut off. I did not like the way that they would finish through the bumper skin, plus I would have to disable the parking sensors and I really wanted to keep the winch as discreet as possible. The winch tray is made by Devon 4x4 out of the UK.

Nigel,

Looks fantastic! I must have gone back and forth 100 times when I was trying to decide between the ARB Bumper w/winch, the Devon bumper and hidden winch tray, and the Front Runner hidden winch tray.

Where do you plug in your wired winch controller? ...or did you go with a wireless set up?

Where do you plug in your wired winch controller? ...or did you go with a wireless set up?

I located the plug in under the bumper??? Don't ask me what I was thinking, I need to relocate it to a more accessible location but have not figured it out yet...

I located the plug in under the bumper??? Don't ask me what I was thinking, I need to relocate it to a more accessible location but have not figured it out yet...

I've seen guys that have used the Warn wireless kit on Smittybilt winches, so that is an option too....though it'll set you back another $130. Whatever you do, mount it a bit higher than under the bumper so it'll be less prone to getting submerged in water crossings.

Admittedly I have almost zero experience with winches (yet) but I was wondering about what Will, RovrFlo, had asked regarding access to the clutch. Assuming the free-spooling clutch is important (pulling out line?) and access to this important feature is a good thing... is there such a thing as a wireless clutch servo? I know of the wireless remote kits for the controller...very cool.. but is there hardened piece of motor driven gearing who's houseing would bolt directly to the specific winch, replaceing the clutch handle with an appropriate splined shaft etc.. plenty of power (12v big amps) available there, lots of torque-y motors out there... I think Nigel's install is super clean and Will got me thinking of the (functionality) expense. Access to the controller port too but that can be solved with existing wireless products...

Either way, I'm still impressed with the garage fortitude to take the front of his rig apart and the outcome looks great....

~N00b

I've seen guys that have used the Warn wireless kit on Smittybilt winches, so that is an option too....though it'll set you back another $130. Whatever you do, mount it a bit higher than under the bumper so it'll be less prone to getting submerged in water crossings.

Do you or anyone else have experience with the wireless controller for the winch? I'm just wondering if there is lag time from the remote to the winch? I'd hate to loose connection and have the winch continue to pull when you want it to stop etc. I just like the idea of a hard wired system.

Minimizing complexity and maximizing safety are key to any winching scenario. I prefer a hard wired controller to prevent inadvertent winch activation, but wireless may have certain advantages, ie. lone operator or operations necessitating positioning the operator beyond the reach of a wired controller.

Easy access to the clutch is vital to free spool the winch to allow fast deployment or to help clear any cable jambs or bunching

• 8 months later...
Y'all,

I finally found the prize I won at the Annual Event. It is a Wing Top Shovel Mount Kit; Rovers North part RNA691MK. I don't need it. Anyone want it? If not; I guess it can go back to the club for the next event....

Drew

I will take it Drew; let me know how much you want for it; thanks for offering it back.

Archived