OFFICIAL: 5th Annual NCLR Shaver Lake Snow Run, Feb. 10-12, 2012

In the event of the snow melting, or just not being deep enough for a challenging snow day, I'm considering going to the top of Bald Mountain. At the summit, there is an abandoned fire lookout tower with a great view and photo ops.

I have not driven this trail before, but have researched videos and read the trail guide from the Charles A. Wells book, California Backroads & 4-Wheels Drive Trails (pg. 203).

Trail Details:

Difficult- rocky, steep, & tippy in a few places

Good driver, high clearance stock vehicle, w/ good spotting and rock stacking

Snow in shady forested areas

Faint tracks on exposed granite (there are Jeep signs and cairns for trail markers)

There are 3 tricky sections on the trail;

First is a steep climb- supposed to look harder than it actually is

Series of round ledges- about 1.5 miles in

Washed out section- towards the end, can bypass if we return the way we came

The video shows these three sections in order listed above

[video=youtube;v8VoYziznrM]

Other videos of the trail

Snow Melt

[video=youtube;-RaFovco1vg]

Long movie

[video=youtube;6r7lUmgOnlo]

I have been and will continue to check on the snow conditions at Shaver Lake and Bald Mountain throughout the coming weeks.

Questions:

Who would be in for a trip like this?

How would the LR3's do with the rock ledges (2nd obstacle)?

Is it worth the trip? Expect possible snowy/icy surfaces, which may mean we don't even make it up the first steep hill:mad:

I have waypoints, but no track for this trail, does anyone have a track or know someone who has done this trail?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a way to create the track for Bald Mountain using the map in the first post. It was originally made by scanning the trail from the book, then using the waypoints, aligned the track to fit. Well, I did the same thing only in Google Earth. I saved just the track as a .png, and used the overlay image function in GE, and aligned it with the existing waypoints from the book. I then tweaked the position of the points to the visible area of the trail in GE. Next, I went to GPSVisualizer.com and converted the .kmz file to a .gpx file.

Can I get a few people to load this on their gps units to test?

It should have everything from Camp Edison, Dinkey Creek Rd. to the Bald Mtn. trailhead, that track with waypoints and notes. Hopefully the notes (not long per point) don't obscure the track on your screen.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to post this early enough for people to decide if they want to cancel/postpone the trip. For those who made reservations, here is the info on cancellations. The "fine" seems to only apply to the deposit, which I wasn't charged for. I'll call the office and try to get more info on how much $ can be refunded, and how long before the reservation date.

CHANGE OR CANCELLATION GUIDELINES If you wish to . . . Cancel Entire Reservation

14 + Day Notice

$10 Fee Forfeit

1-6 Days Notice

1/3 of deposit

7–13 Day Notice

Forfeit 2/3 of deposit

Day of Check-in

Forfeit Entire Deposit

Thanks for all the hard work Brenton. I'm a bit on the fence right now.... I say we postpone the date.

Yes I agree.... LOL... I need time to repair my rig for any off road trips. I need to wheel it in something other than a parking spot.

I see a small amount of snow on the cams this morning and snow/rain predicted for the 6th, which could give us -some- snow. Kids' school records attendance up to lunch, then we are free to leave, probably around 12:30. We are still doing the cabin thing, but are waiting til the last minute to make a reservation, lots still available...

Please post up where you expect to meet the caravan on Friday. I'd like to keep on this schedule as much as possible. When we get to camp and setup, a small group will head to the trail and do some scouting.

Gilroy- arrive by 9:30am, gas up and on the road by 9:45

Vieira’s Shell Gas Station

101 South exit 356, to 10th St/ CA-152 E

850 Pacheco Pass Hwy

Gilroy, CA. 95020

96.7 mi – about 1 hour 45 mins

Madera- arrive by 11:30am, gas up and on the road by 11:45am

Valero Gas Station

I-5 South exit 403A, to CA-152 E/CA-33 S to Los Banos/Fresno

1502 E. Yosemite Ave.

Madera, CA. 93638

53.6 mi – about 1 hour 18 mins

Camp Edison-

If the office is closed when you arrive, stop by the camp host to get your camping pass

Archived