Gauging Interest: Kayaking, bit of Off-Roading & Camping North of Lost Coast

Ok re-read the post, and all things considered (also didn't want to conflict the schedule Christian's High Sierra trip scheduled July 27-31), let's shoot for July 7/8 wknd.

I will post more details later and check w/HenryV re: kayak rental, guide and bringing your own kayak.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok re-read the post, and all things considered (also didn't want to conflict the schedule Christian's High Sierra trip scheduled July 27-31), let's shoot for July 7/8 wknd.

Tony, this trip is still planned early July. Let me firm up the details with http://kayaknorcal.com/ and also asked if attendees can bring their own Kayaks. My family and I will be out of the country first half of April (vacation in Costa Rica) and will shoot to post more details mid to late April.

Ok figured before I leave for Costa Rica, get this squared away before camping sites (optional) get booked up.

I didn't hear back from HenryV so decided to go with another kayak touring company: http://www.kayakmendocino.com/tours.php

Kayak tours start 9am 11:30am and 2:00pm, and provides both (no exp required) novice and expert kayakers a 2-2 1/2 hrs of kayaking fun tour of the Mendocino coast and surrounding caves to explore. We leave Van Damme cove, our first 2 caves are filled with sea stars and vibrant algaes and continue along the natural channels. Paddling is smooth and easy and the naturally formed channels allow us to stay well out of the wind and surf. Round the corner and possible exchange looks with Harbor Seals, see them in their pure and natural state.

Heading north and hugging the sandstone cliffs, the black oyster catchers screech and call each other to announce our arrival and their meal for the day. Narrow coves and passageways lead over the clear blue green shallow water as we make our way towards our last cave. Two dark chambers stretch eastward and let us savor different views of the openings. Colorful invertebrates make their home here and the dripping fresh water offers a cooling rinse. One more cove and channel and we turn around and paddle and float easily back with the current.

Cost $50/per person (adult/children) including sit-on Kayak rental and helmet/life jacket provided.

* You can bring your own Kayak/gears but the rate per person will remain the same.

* I am waiting to get our finalize head count for this trip, and provide the #; see what group rate we can get; for now budget on $50 per person.

General plans:

Saturday: shoot for the 9am Kayak tour

- Afterwards, not too far away, head to the Van Damme State Park for lunch

- Optional overnight camping at Van Damme SP (I made my reservation: site 14. Two vehicle max/8 people max)

* For folks who wants to motel/hotel it, Little River Inn is not too far (see pic # 4); make your own reservation.

- I can share my spot w/another vehicle, or make your site next to site 14 via RererveAmerica: http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Vandamme_Sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120097&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

- Join for dinner if camping, or stay for dinner and leave after

Sunday: camp bfast and then head-out

- Optional (since we are in the area) stop-over Glass Beach/let the kids and adults enjoy the day

- Or (bit of a drive Eastwards) 4wheeling @ Cow Mountain OHV near Lakeport, CA.

Here's a bit of info for time mgmt and fueling: from San Francisco to Kayaking spot is about 150 miles one way/3 hr drive. Use this for your GPS: Hwy 1, Little River, CA 95456.

I'll formally post this as a trip thread when I get back from my vacation in two weeks. Adios!

Kayak Mendocino company: http://www.kayakmendocino.com/index.php

Reserve America for 1 night Stay @ Van Damme State Park campground (cost $35 per site + 8 fee):http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Vandamme_Sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120097&pstate=CA

Glass Beach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Beach_(Fort_Bragg,_California)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Glass_Beach_Fort_Bragg_3.jpg/220px-Glass_Beach_Fort_Bragg_3.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I posted an update for this trip. Everyone I am sure has been busy busy including my family - and this trip is just around the corner.

My wife, 2 boys and I are still going. No worries if folks can't make it. However, if you want to do some Kayaking and camping (will be our 1st camping trip this summer season), and alt to the MORG @ Hollister, come and join us!

This is an informal Kayaking and camping trip. BYO Food and Beverage. Or we can do pot luck. Willl be leaving the Bay Area early morning to make either the 9am or 11am Kayak Tour on Saturday,and then will check-in at our campsite for night for hot dogs, bbq, smores along with our favorite beverages and camp fire stories. if time permits on Sunday, swing by Glass Beach for lunch.

We still have our camp reservation for Saturday July 7; checking out Sunday July 8. If you want to share our camp and share the cost ($43/2), let us know; our campsite allows for 2 vehicles and 2 tents so we have room for another 1 vehicle/tent family otherwise go to Reserve America and you can reserve a site @ Van Damme SP (State Park)

PM or post if interested in attending!

Have fun. I start my new job on Monday and have my board exam at the end of the month, so we will not be able to make it. Looking forward to getting back in my truck and on the trail after July.

That's good you are staying a bit lower? than the middle of the Lost Coast. I heard rumour that the rangers have shut down a good portion of the Lost Coast due to bear and their apparent disregard for humans. People have NOT been tying up their food, and leaving garbage behind so the bear are pretty much unafraid of people, and have thought nothing of breaking into vehicles, as they have learned how to spell "Igloo" for fresh, tasty human food, and shredding tents and gear from the scent of food.

From the BLM webpage:

"Know Before You Go

BEAR ALERT! There is a serious bear problem along the entire beach, especially at Miller Flat and Big Flat. Bears are coming into camp and taking food. This is a dangerous situation for people and bears alike. BEAR RESISTANT CANISTERS ARE REQUIRED as hanging food is not an effective method on the coast. Please DO NOT feed the bears."

Sounds like Lake Tahoe!

I heard rumour that the rangers have shut down a good portion of the Lost Coast due to bear and their apparent disregard for humans...

...they have learned how to spell "Igloo" for fresh, tasty human food.

Also heard their vocabulary have expanded to include ARB, Edge Star...

On a serious note, when we plan our club trip to the Lost Coast this fall, will make sure to bring bear spay and as part of trip planning, talk about good practise e.g. don't cook near where you will be sleeping, store food in bear resistant canisters...

From the BLM webpage:

BEAR ALERT! There is a serious bear problem along the entire beach, especially at Miller Flat and Big Flat...

Sounds like Lake Tahoe!

We there is a high bear home foreclosure rate in Lake Tahoe (lol); now they are moving towards more affordable grounds in the Lost Coast.

Joking set aside, serious stuff; someone can get hurt if we don't apply good bear safety and food storage practise!

Have fun. I start my new job on Monday and have my board exam at the end of the month, so we will not be able to make it. Looking forward to getting back in my truck and on the trail after July.

Congrats on the new job and pass that board exam.

This wknd will be good for me and my family to get away and have some down-town from our busy work schedule. My boys are attending summer camp so this is a good break from them.

Trip Report

Camping in the Mendocino Coast and a side trip wine tasting in Sonoma County.

It was just me, my wife and two boys; perfect because it was very relaxing for us; focused on the family, and nice quick to get-away from our busy lives.

Campsite: Van Damme State Park has well maintained sites, park ranger patrolling and on-site, clean bathrooms, emptied trash can/bin at regular intervals, flush type toilets, and plenty of water including hot water (bring $1.25 worth of quarters for 5 mins of hot shower). Bottom-line = my wife enjoyed her stay camping safe and clean bathrooms (lol). During our stay, I checked out the group site; perfect for a larger Land Rover gathering!

Distance and time: Took 3 hrs from the East Bay; about 151 miles x 2 (round-trip). Our 04 DII averaged 14 mpg w/a roof rack and roof cargo basket on.

Refueling: Left w/a full tank (22 gallons) and didn't have to refuel till I got back in the East Bay. Pushed the DII's 300 mile range before it's near empty; had .5 gallon left (smile) before I filled-up back at home. It was a good thing I got a full tank out of the DII since the price of prem gas in Mendocino was $4.69 vs @ Costco near where I live $3.69 per gallon.

Road conditions: took 101 to 128 and then Hwy 1. Beg of Hwy 128 was a windy road. If you're roof racked is loaded or carrying RTT or Kayak, make sure all your goodies are strapped and secured tight. After the windy road, long stretch of beautiful redwood trees. Otherwise, roads were maintenainced.

And during our stay, the coast was foggy so didn't get to see the ocean. Been in the area on a clear day, and it's just beautiful.

Because it was foggy, decided not to rent Kayaks and hire a guide; boys were perfectly happy exploring in the tide pools. Good saved $200 (cost of Kayak rental & gears for 4 people plus guide)

Enjoy ramdom pictures: packed and ready to go camping, Van Damme State Park campground, fruit stand stop on hwy 128 on our way back home (tasty snacks if you buy one or two - but don't go overboard very pricey tourist trap), and wine tasting and dessert - Panno Cotta and Chocolate Mouse were fantastic! Yumm. Director's Cut Cab was well worth the $32 a bottle we finished with our lunch (had the rack of lamb).

Cheers!

awesome trip Ron!! Too bad it was foggy. We just got from the Benbow Inn and the weather was perfect up there! LOL on Coppola. We meant to stop in and do some tasting on the way up north 101. We never saw it and just figured it was off another hwy and we were mistaken?? Well...coming home, we passed it and just started cracking up!!!! Not too obvious if you don't have the address!!

my wife and i were staying at the little river inn just above van damme st. park. we saw that kayak guy and watched him take his tours out from our room. it was very relaxing and the weather was perfect compared to back home in the east bay that weekend. we can't wait for the next trip out there.

my wife and i were staying at the little river inn just above van damme st. park. we saw that kayak guy and watched him take his tours out from our room. it was very relaxing and the weather was perfect compared to back home in the east bay that weekend. we can't wait for the next trip out there.

Lucky came during a good week/good weather. It was foggy when we went. Will try to organize another trip like this next week; may later in the summer more chance of better weather.

Archived