Day Trip: Merced River Road

Ok folks, I need to balance my trips a bit; been planning trips to Rubicon, Baja... These trips take a bit of time off.

Was talking to Carlos @ Mexxis yesterday (great fish tacos by the way); we want to plan a series of quick trips; ideal for folks who just want to get a way for a day or a day and 1/2.

For starters, I want to plan a trip to the Merced River Road Trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced_River

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Yosemite_nat_park_valley_view.JPG/290px-Yosemite_nat_park_valley_view.JPG

It's open all year-round, managed by BML, short 4.9 miles trail, rated 1 (from 1 to 10) as easy, open to all stock vehicles, scenic rating 10 (1 to 10).

Spoke to Bill Haigh, BLM Field Office Manager, and he was there a week ago and trail is clear for vehicles; if you google Merced River Road, you may come upon a post re: closed due to all the rain; that was early this year; now cleared up and ready for campers/vehicles.

Merced River Trail: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedrivertrail.html

More details to follow.... For now gauging interest. We take Hwy 99, and passed the City Modesto and when we get to City of Merced, head E on Hwy 140 to Briceburg @ the start of the 4.9 trail along the Merced River. There's Cable Rock Beach where family/family members can enjoy the water, primative campgrounds avail, fishing and Kayak if you want to bring your gear. There's also the popular "Burma Grade Trail" if anyone is up for a hike.

Like to try gold panning since the price of gold is @ all time high (lol); my kids would love the experience. I will also bring my Kayak and if the water is not too strong, might have my son try Kayaking.

This will be a family/kids friendly pace and trip.

Optional camping Saturday night, perhaps pot luck dinner, and drive on the trail Sunday; head back later Sunday afternoon after lunch (BYO).

Easy trip.

Looking at Aug 27 Sat camping, and trail drive Sunday Aug 28 morning.

Anyways up for this?

Attendees so far:

- me and my family (+ dog)

- Carlos & family

Rumor says the Carlos, will be cooking up a good meal for potluck; I'd like to collect $ and pitch in if you don't want to BYO and rather have someone cook and just enjoy the backdrop of Merced River, company and food. If you remember the Oregon trip back in 2008, Carlos cooked up great meals for us. Can't wait.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would love to do this, but unfortunately I'm shooting a wedding for a family friend on the 27th. If the dates change, let me know.

Ok, Kevin. Will be there till the 28th if you and your family are avail on a day trip.

Might be in, depending on schedule - (probably) 2 trucks / 4 people. Should know by next week

Awesome. I'll also find out what Carlos has in mind for surprise meal Sat night.

I might be able to make it. Not sure whether the whole family (5) will make it or if I just bring a couple of kids. Will discuss with the wife.

Hopefully, my aluminum radiator will be here by then. I have only been waiting for 8 weeks now....ugh...I miss my rover...

I have family scheduled to arrive on the evening of the 27th but if they decide not to come I will plan on being there as I am itching to head out on the trails again.

Thanks for setting this up!!

Anyone for caravan on Sat?

Meet-up in San Ramon via 680S or Livermore via 580E, pass Tracy and then Hwy 99S. Then We take 140E to Bricebrug, CA. Mapquest says takes about 2 hr 30 mins or 140 miles away from Livermore to Briceburg.

Camping and a few other BLM rules:

There is a camping fee of $10.00 per site per night with a maximum of 8 people per site (if we ended up w/more than 8, just occupy another site).

No glass bottles allowed within 1/4 mile of the Merced River (alum cans ok or put your favorite drink in a sippy cup - lol).

Dogs must be on leash at all times.

No dogs allowed at McCabe Flat swimming beach.

Merced River Trail: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedrivertrail.html

Pot Luck Dinner Sat (Carlos is in charge)

Sunday drive-up the short 4.9 trail.

Return home after lunch Sunday

My contact list is in the Member List. SPOT will be activated.

C yah all there!

Ok, looks like we are in. Couple questions. I will be bringing the LWB, family and a small camp supplies trailer.

So, that is 4. Do we need to make reservations or ? Looks like 20 LR folks coming, that already will me 3 sites. Hope it is not busy or we may have site issues.

BLM land? Do we need fire permits? If so, I can pop into the CDF and grab one this weekend/week if needed.

As for caravan, we would be in for that. IF we can keep speeds under 65 for me and the trailer. or more for me and Johnny Law. I am 1 mile ish north of 580 at N. Livermore, right by Carlos, and we could either meet at is house (on the street) or we can just take over the cul de sac at my house and stage rovers there.... If anyone thinks that works.

Will keep watch.

Archived