New Rover!

Nick

Nick,

Is your truck down on power running the 235's ? I was considering 215/85-16 as well. Thoughts?

It wasn't too bad on the 235s. I had also regeared initially to 4.11s. Since then, have dumped a newer 4.6, a Crower 229 cam, and a Tornado ECU chip... so it's pretty peppy now. My '91 Hunter with the 3.9 has 215/85s, stock cam, and it's pretty peppy; it now has the Tornado ECU and is even peppier (but has a dead vacuum advance, so should be even better once that gets sorted).

If you decide to go with 235s and lockers and such, might as well regear. Keep in mind you'll probably be adding a bunch of weight once you add on some bumpers, sliders, rack, etc...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to revisit the 215's for the sake of keeping the drive train as stock as possible. How much lift in your Hunter? The WHT RVR and it look to be about the same height in the pic.

It's funny... it is around the same height. Previous owner had put the lift on, but I think it's roughly a 2" as well... medium duty though.

Guest Pedram
Nick,

Is your truck down on power running the 235's ? I was considering 215/85-16 as well. Thoughts?

Dino, what are your intentions with the LWB Rover? Are you planning on doing a lot of off road trips in it? This makes a difference on tires and future add on's. You night want to think about that before you buy tires and re gear.

Pedram,

The plan for this truck is to use it off road, more over land than over ROCK. Knowing that these trucks are plenty capable in their stock form keeps me from getting to crazy too soon.

Most of the trips will include a long slab trip to get to the dirt ( Sac. to Baja etc.). I will occasionally tow a trailer full of motos. These are the main reasons I didn't want to lose power for an extra 1.5" of tire.

The motor in my truck is strong (knock knock) and the tranny seems so as well. I was looking to take the mechanical upgrades one step at a time. The bumpers, winch and sliders are going to be first for the protection of the rig. The winch is most important as I have found myself without one too many times to count in my Jeep. I bought one for it finally and it will go on the Rover when the bumper gets figured out. I spend much more time off-road in the winter than the summer (usually because I'm riding in the summer). I have a set of steel wheels the tires will be mounted on. The alloy set that came on the truck have near new tires on them so I will only use the off-road set when I need them.

I bought the truck to roll three vehicles into one. I had an Audi Allroad, a CJ and an F250 CC Diesel. The Rover should be comfy over the road and big enough for we 3 and gear like the truck. Good on the short runs around town and up into the snow like the Audi and God willing every bit as capable off road as the Jeep. At least that's the schpeel I gave the wife............................

I'd definitely recommend the 215/85 then. Looks perfect, more than tall enough, and doesn't mess with power or need drivetrain upgrades. My Hunter has the GY Duratracs in that size.

Nick,

One more ? Who built your front bumper?

I'm hoping to have a P-Fab rear bumper as soon as the Jeep finds a new home.

Front bumper is a Rovertym. Rear bumper is a Rovertym too, with all modifications for the spare tire carrier done by P-Fab.

Archived