Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

Ok, only 3 more days till we depart! As promised, here are 3 files which you should plan on leveraging.

The first is an updated PPT file containing the latest trip information and attendees. If you plan on convoying with anyone to Big Pine, now is the time to speak up. We are heading out from the Peninsula at noon, taking the Northen Route, and convoying with Tiger Dan and Aurun. I am thinking a good rally point would be to meet at the Starbucks near Orchard Supply Hardware in Foster City (the last exit before you go over highway 92 bridge to the East Bay) at around 12:30 - 1:00. We will be picking up our kids at their school in Menlo Park and leaving directly from there to hit the road to Big Pine.

The second is a file, in GPX 1.1 format, that contains all the waypoints and tracks we'll be trying to take. I've successfully loaded it into my Garmin Nuvi 500. There are three routes for Day 7, because I had to calculate one of them as a "direct route". The rest actually all seem to work in "autoroute" mode with the map-set I have.

The third is a file (in Zip File format) of all the geocaches along the way. I still need to print out the details of the 99 caches within, but I used Garmin's POI loader and was able to load this file, along with some "proximity alerts" that will go off when we are within a mile of each cache. I certainly don't plan on going and findng all 99, but thought this would be good fun at our stops to see if there are any nearby.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Chuck,

I am near Menlo Park and it'll be great to convoy up with you and Tiger Dan. I can meet you at 12 noon in Menlo Park if you let me know where you'll be heading out from.

Regards

Aurangzeb

Aurun,

Lets plan on meeting between 12:30 and 1pm at the Starbucks near the Orchard Supply Hardware in Foster City. The last exit before you head over the San Mateo Bridge on Highway 92 to the East Bay. My cell is 650-208-1175 -- post yours up so we've got it as well..

Thanks Steven. I might take you up on it, if the fridge were the size of a small breadbasket. I've done a test pack, and that's all the room I have left with 5 people in the vehicle with me. I didin't realize how much room the gosh darn food was going to be taking....7 days and 5 people. Had to leave out one of my two 5 gallon water jugs, and also the propane fired grill for cooking steaks. Going to need to rely on the firepit...

Can't leave the grille behind! I'll have to carry it. I haven't done a test pack yet, still trying to finish up the interior cabinets. But I think I may come up with a little additional space when I'm done, we'll see...

So I figure I would set some rally points for the north passage groups.

If you are leaving thursday here are a few rally points in which we can meet up.

Thursday 11amPST

Starbucks (Elk Grove, CA)

DIRECTIONS: From South I5 take Laguna exit, turn right at harbor (first right) and make your first right, Longport Court.

ADDRESS: 2300 Longport Court Suite 100 Elk Grove, CA 957587159

916-683-3810

Thursday 1:45-2pmPST-ish

Lyra's Grocery Store, Meyers, CA

This is on highway 50 just PAST the highway 89 turn off. Will meet here for fuel up and deli sandwiches!!

Plan will be to head to Gardnerville, NV for fuel unless the highway 89 pass from Markleeville is open (might be to general but open to 4wd.)

From there down 395 past Mono Lake and to Bishop, then to Big Pine.

If you are interested in joining the caravan send me a pm. My cell number is in the contacts section, fee free to call and we can work on coordination.

Group so far:

Beaver

KShuttle

I'm running low on space, for sure. I'm hoping we can get the grill in your rig, maybe some extra firewood. I also have a cooler I was planning on using during the day -- if we can figure out how to mount it on my tire rack that would be great -- if not maybe I'll need help freeing up a little space in the back of my rig for it -- maybe give you my big pile of plastic easter eggs the kids insisted on packing!

Chuck,

You could always ask Dan to take some of the load even a body or 2:)

Sounds like somebodys truck is going to be top heavy as usual! CHICKEN ROCK anyone

Even though I am a tail gunner I will bring lots of wood if you want?

Any special requests ? I am heading to World Market for some Tea.:P

Actually, the plan at this point is for me to carry some of Chuck's stuff as well as Tyler. Last year we alternated between Tylar, Marla and Chuck's dad riding with me, so I had company virtually all the time.

Chuck,

We will leave that up to Marla & Tyler! don't forget Tim is riding Solo too.

affirmative on the Cadbury's

I/we will be there before dark... how far is it from Ballarat to the camp?

Our plan will be to leave a note for you (with NCLR on it) letting you know which camp we are headed for from Ballarat. We'll leave it on the front porch, in a visible location -- getting Rocky's permission of course... Unfortunately, George recently passed away.

Choice #1 will be Briggs Camp. It is probably an hour from Ballarat. There will be some wheeling and climbing involved to get there. Plus the turn-off to get there is easy to miss. Make sure and ask directions in Ballarat -- or double check that GPS file I sent you.

If we aren't at choice 1, then it is back up the road (towards Panamint Springs) to Minnietta or Osbourne. We'll try Minnietta first -- if we aren't there -- then it is Osbourne. I've never been to Osbourne, but both should be pretty easy to find with the GPS coordinates. Do a google earth map on them and you will see the roads...We'll monitor CB channel 7 and look for your headlights if you arrive after dark.. I think it is about 45 minutes to Minnietta, and maybe another 30 minutes to Osbourne from there...

FYI - Current weather forecast shows snow on Hwy 50 Wednesday night and Thursday, 60-70%. Accumulation 2-4 inches by Thursday night. Also CALTRANS still has Hwy 89 listed as closed for the winter between Hwy 395 and Hwy 4, Monitor Pass.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.82473078093276&lon=-120.05859375&site=rev&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

I am flexable on leave times on thursday... do we want to have a meetup point in Sacramento someplace? We can use my place in Elk Grove if we want as its right off of I5....

Michael - Still up for mustering at your place in Elk Grove sometimeThursday?

Rob

Michael - Still up for mustering at your place in Elk Grove sometimeThursday?

Rob

I am game. The three of us could meet up and head to 50. Sounds like we should reconsider taking the 'short-cut' with the chance of snow still up there.

-ted

Thanks Steven. I might take you up on it, if the fridge were the size of a small breadbasket. I've done a test pack, and that's all the room I have left with 5 people in the vehicle with me. I didin't realize how much room the gosh darn food was going to be taking....7 days and 5 people. Had to leave out one of my two 5 gallon water jugs, and also the propane fired grill for cooking steaks. Going to need to rely on the firepit...

LOL! Well, it's available if anyone wants to borrow it.

Archived