Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

Well, our plans will be to leave Menlo Park at noon on Thursday heading towards Bishop. Tiger Dan and I will be convoying. I'll monitor the repeaters on 2M for action - so Brian once you hit that linked system that Bishop runs maybe we can start ragchewing!

I'm also playing around with my GPS, and have a new GPX file I'll post over the weekend with waypoints and a route laid in. I'm also looking to change up the back half of the trip a bit -- on the Day we head into Striped Butte via Goler, we may gas up in Trona instead of PSR. By doing this, we can do the "Escape Route" into Goler Wash, which is a historical trail (the way the 49ers exited Death Valley) and has some history behind it. I'm researching the trail this week, will post new waypoints in the GPX file I upload this weekend.

I'm still thinking we will be doing a fast exit on Saturday morning from Striped Butte. It will take about 2 or 3 hours to hit Pavement and PSR or Trona. So that will give us from noon until ? on the highway home...or if you want to stop and camp someplace Saturday you can along the way. I wonder if Bodie will be open?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to maps.google.com trip from Elk Grove should take about 6.5hrs, depending on conditions, less if I can cut through Marklieville

I'll be heading out from Elk Grove as well. I am thinking of heading up to 50 and then over to 395. I have done the drive through yosemite to 395, but it was just soo much longer and 88 is too twisty. We shouldn't hit traffic on 50 on a Thursday morning. I may be up for a caravan, but will probably be making a few more stops with a 4 year old on board. Let me know. I am hoping to make my Bristlecone reservations today.

Michael - great to see you got a fridge. You will love it. It makes life so much nicer and no wet/sloshy food.

We are heading out early Thursday and taking the northern route across 50 and down 395. I'm sure some of you will catch up as we will be lolly gaging along...

Chuck - we were planning to do the whole trip but now need to be back in Dublin no later than Friday late evening. Is there any exit point were it would make sense for us to break off from the group either Thursday or Friday?

Thanks,

Nigel

Just remember, I am pretty sure Tioga Pass (thru Yosemite) will be CLOSED this time of year.

I just checked the East/West passes and the following routes are still closed:

SR 120

[iN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]

IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO 5 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 /TIOGA PASS/

(TUOLUMNE, MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN

ALTERNATE ROUTE

SR 89

IS CLOSED FROM THE JCT OF US 395 (MONO CO) TO THE JCT OF SR 4

/MONITOR PASS/ (ALPINE CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED

TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

SR 108

IS CLOSED FROM 7.2 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY TO 5.3 MI WEST OF THE

JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS

ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

We are heading out early Thursday and taking the northern route across 50 and down 395. I'm sure some of you will catch up as we will be lolly gaging along...

Chuck - we were planning to do the whole trip but now need to be back in Dublin no later than Friday late evening. Is there any exit point were it would make sense for us to break off from the group either Thursday or Friday?

Thanks,

Nigel

Nigel,

Yes, we can figure it out. Right now, we have us spending Thursday night in Striped Butte. We'd be gassing up in Trona on Thursday morning, then doing the Escape Trail into Striped Butte/Goler wash. So you could leave Thursday morning from Trona, or alternatively stay with us through the Escape Trail and up to where we will camp, then just do the 2 hour "bug out" from that area early Friday morning or Thursday night...

If we are in Trona on Thursday morning, we may start back to the Bay Area too. Getting home Friday night would also work for us.

Truth be told, Sara would rather leave Thursday morning... so if it works better for you to leave Thursday morning, I would not be opposed to to following you out.

...we may gas up in Trona instead of PSR. By doing this, we can do the "Escape Route" into Goler Wash...

Chuck, just remember that in one of your earlier posts, the story of the recent travelers to Chicken Rock said that Trona may not have gas due to the infrequency of travelers and the cost to fill the station tanks.

Chuck, just remember that in one of your earlier posts, the story of the recent travelers to Chicken Rock said that Trona may not have gas due to the infrequency of travelers and the cost to fill the station tanks.

I think what the guy said was that the two gas stations in Trona were closed probably due to the late hour that they went through. I can't imagine both stations there closing down completely, it's a fairly populated area and there's nothing else available for miles around. When we stopped there last year both stations were doing a pretty good business.

I just checked the East/West passes and the following routes are still closed:

SR 120

IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO 5 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 /TIOGA PASS/

(TUOLUMNE, MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN

ALTERNATE ROUTE

SR 89

IS CLOSED FROM THE JCT OF US 395 (MONO CO) TO THE JCT OF SR 4

/MONITOR PASS/ (ALPINE CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED

TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

SR 108

IS CLOSED FROM 7.2 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY TO 5.3 MI WEST OF THE

JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS

ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

I was checking these yesterday as well, looking fore shortest possible route. It would be great to be able to take 108 as it's pretty direct, but other sites I found list the Sierra snowpack as being 178% of normal and these passes probably won't be open till late June...!

Dan...agree it sounds weird that stations would be closed. Here's the quote from the guy's blog

"We got back to Trona with the hopes of refueling the truck so we could drive back the 25 miles to Ballarat and enter Goler Wash/Mengel Pass trail. However that was not to be because both gas stations had out of order stickers on their gas pumps. I managed to get the truth about the out of order stickers from the second gas station attendant who said that it costs them about 40 grand to refill their gas tanks and I have the feeling it would take them a while to recover the costs given the relatively low traffic activity that happens in that boring town. Very disappointingly we drove out of town thinking about our options and we decided it was too risky to attempt to drive the second part of our leg, risking running out of gas in the process. "

Regarding the route over the sierra's. Google tries to route me through Jackson on Hwy 88. Looks like that route is open.

SR 88

[iN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & SIERRA NEVADA]

NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

Anyone familiar with 88 vs. 50?

Couple last minute things....

1)I'm almost done with the Garmin getting it programmed, and will post up some files. Interestingly, that darn Fish Lake run is causing it fits. I can't get it to put a route in the way we want to go --- since no road is indicated...I keep getting re-routed. Once I figure that out, I'll have tracks for each day that should be uploadable to the NUVI.

2)I called the Park, tried to figure out the rule on "backcountry camping" and how it applies to us when in the Park proper. No-one called me back yet. i'll keep trying. Worst case, we may need to split our camps up the second night out to avoid a possible rules violation. But I'm going to see if we really need to do that. Seems a little ridiculous.

3)Don't forget your water. My plan is to bring two 5 gallon water jugs, for all 5 of us. Once I empty one, I'll fill it up with water from one of the various springs we will be passing during the day and use it for cleaning dishes, camp cleanup, etc. At most of our camps, there will be water -- especially the cabins (which is why they were built where they were). It's probably drinkable -- but should boil to make sure. Also, remember you can get water at PSR and Trona (our gas stops) as well as Ballarat, I believe. Our real "dry" night might be Day 2 of the trip.

4)Don't forget some firewood. We will want a campfire in the evenings, probably morning too. So bring some wood -- enough for one fire at least. Those of you with room, put in some extra!

5)I do think Trona will have gas. If it doesn't -- we'll end up back at PSR.

Dan...agree it sounds weird that stations would be closed. Here's the quote from the guy's blog

"We got back to Trona with the hopes of refueling the truck so we could drive back the 25 miles to Ballarat and enter Goler Wash/Mengel Pass trail. However that was not to be because both gas stations had out of order stickers on their gas pumps. I managed to get the truth about the out of order stickers from the second gas station attendant who said that it costs them about 40 grand to refill their gas tanks and I have the feeling it would take them a while to recover the costs given the relatively low traffic activity that happens in that boring town. Very disappointingly we drove out of town thinking about our options and we decided it was too risky to attempt to drive the second part of our leg, risking running out of gas in the process. "

Regarding the route over the sierra's. Google tries to route me through Jackson on Hwy 88. Looks like that route is open.

SR 88

I looked at that yesterday as well...I thought I found something saying that that last little leg of 88 between Markleeville and 395 was closed, I'll have to check again. But you mostly go up 50, and either stay on 50 right through So. Tahoe and drop down to Minden/Gardnerville to 395, or turn off onto 89 which goes a short distance over to 88 (if it is indeed open) which saves a few miles and a little time.. You don't want to go all the way up 88 from the Valley, I've done that and it's slow...50 is much better.

I hadn't read all of the guy's blog, so I missed that part. I was thinking of the earlier reference that he made to trying to gas up in Trona of their initial trip into the Valley. Interesting...

There are two stations in Trona. One is a Chevron and the other. Is an off-brand. I can believe they close early bot if we hit there mid-morning one should be open. There is a chemical refinery there so there quite a few people live in the area. The last time we were through there the prices were approaching DV prices. The next closest place is Ridgecrest.

SR 88

I travel the 88/50 routes every year for annual camping trip in the 89/88 area. while 50 is "longer" it is faster. 88 is prone to delays so I would avoid it.

I am flexable on leave times on thursday... do we want to have a meetup point in Sacramento someplace? We can use my place in Elk Grove if we want as its right off of I5....

Archived