Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

Hi Rob,

I really would suggest you bring a water thermostat for your car as they are unique (built into a plastic housing) to your car only as the D2's are slightly different and I have had to fix one on the trail before and they are a pain if you don't have a spare.

Nathan;

Good feedback - yes, I wil pack out a T-stat; I also have jubilee clips, and some rad hoses that I will include to round out the kit. Late last year I replaced both radiator and expansion tank so it stands that this, added to its "clever" location is a weak link.

Rob

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A timing chain (ha ha!) We can share the rest as we have the same vehicles!

Edit to my Vehicle. I bought one of nathans RRC's and i will be taking that. Its a 1993 rrc lwb with 3 inch lift 33's Lt-230 bumpers F+R sliders What spares do i need for this trip???

So I am assuming the Easter Bunny can find us in Death Valley. What are the plans for Mr. Cottontail? Is there anything that the parents on the trip can do to help him?

I would say for the Easter bunny we all buy (at least those with kids) those plastic eggs and candy to fill them up with. That night, at camp, we can all fill them up and hide stuff for the Easter morning festivities! If you have something special (for your kid only) just put his name on the basket and the other kids will leave it alone...

Ok, I've updated the list. Nathan/Dan -- what spares do you think us D2 guys should bring?

I also have been doing a bit of trip planning -- here is a GPX file and a TPO file with waypoints and routes (6 of them). Maybe at the MOM we can mess around and bring it up on Google Earth for folks and/or update their GPS units? Please do not distribute this coordinates or talk about them outside of the member only area -- don't want anyone stealing our campsites!

Nice.... now a request since you seem to be a bit of a google earth guru -- any chance of getting something printed out for each day that would look good in a powerpoint presentation? Ie a topo map with the routes and waypoints laid out? Would like to use for the trip planning (and ultimately the final trip report)...

Something like this?

I used my SPOT Tracker + GPS Visualizer (free on the web) + Google Earth to make this for my kids when we took a trip through the Black Rock Desert 2 years back. They incorporated sections of the map into a "trip report" that they made for school.

Red was Day 1, Yellow Day 2, Green Day 3, Cyan Day 4, Blue Day 5.

I'd have to remember how I did it. Having the SPOT was nice because it could track where we went versus where we planned to go :-).

-Kevin

Yes, thats what I'm thinking. Speaking of SPOT -- two questions:

1)Does anyone have one that they are bringing?

2)The SPOT device, unfortunately, doesn't really work that well in Death Valley. We tried laying down waypoints with it -- things were pretty hit and miss. Ditto with APRS.

I had a couple questions about people bringing dogs, etc. I don't think this is an issue from a trip standpoint, as long as you do realize we'll have lots of kids along. So dogs that love em -- as opposed to like to use them as chew toys -- would be most appropriate.

The real issue is the rules and regs within DVNP. Check out the website. As I understand it, they must be leashed or secured the entire time they are in the park, and can't be taken on hikes off the roadway (like on trails). We will be spending time in the park -- pretty remote areas -- but be aware that the rule exists -- and occassionally rangers are seen and I hear they are pretty serious about enforcing that rule.

Yes, thats what I'm thinking. Speaking of SPOT -- two questions:

1)Does anyone have one that they are bringing?

2)The SPOT device, unfortunately, doesn't really work that well in Death Valley. We tried laying down waypoints with it -- things were pretty hit and miss. Ditto with APRS.

We will bring our SPOT. Always works well for us as long as no trees to block the signal.

I would say for the Easter bunny we all buy (at least those with kids) those plastic eggs and candy to fill them up with. That night, at camp, we can all fill them up and hide stuff for the Easter morning festivities! If you have something special (for your kid only) just put his name on the basket and the other kids will leave it alone...

Hate to be a pain - but please note that one of my daughters is allergic to nuts. We can always do some candy trading if she gets something with nuts and we'll bring special items for her as well. Items that say "....processed in a factory that processes nut products....blah blah...may contain traces of...." are usually ok.

Looks like around 11 kids. We'll bring some plastic eggs and candy to share. My wife will probably also have special goodies for our kids as well.

OMG!

I just did some quick math and it'll be about $550 in gas for our two rigs round trip to Lone Pine. On the bright side, the hotel room (tent) during the week is free and the company will be great!

Potty

We will bring along our PETT portable toilet and privacy enclosure. Everyone is welcome to use this but 1) you need to bring your own supply of WAG BAGS (http://www.rei.com/product/662978), and 2) you have to haul your own used ones :)

I am a new member and want to be added to the list of attendees:

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? myself and 4 yo daughter

2)What sort of rig do you drive? 2001 Range Rover, with EAS, front steering guard, front axle guard, sliders, Safety Devices roof rack, ARB freezer, CB

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency) 265 70 R16s Revo AT2s

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you? spare EAS suspension parts, laptop with link to EAS, fluids, u-joints, tools

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? just a quick trip through DV on the pavement

I also have a PETT toilet with enclosure and will be bringing extra wagg bags

Looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

-ted

I am currently planning on the first half and most of the second half of the trip. I will be driving a 2001 Range Rover, stock with EAS, sliders, steering guard and front axle guard. I plan to bring along my 4 yo daughter. I have only driven through DV on roads so this area is all new to me.

Looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

-ted

Ok Ted, you are on the list. Hopefully you can make it to Mexxi's and meet some of the other club members on Saturday ...

-ted

Hi Ted;

Glad to see you will make the run; sadly I can only do the weekend.

So far I think just us with P38's - Per Nathen's advise I will be packing a T-stat and some hoses and clips and happy to share whatever is needed.

Rob

ok imported to Google Earth. if you do it on your own make sure to check the box: "Create KML LineStrings" otherwise you will just have waypoints with no relevance. see pic. I also have up loaded a kmz file that is already converted for GE.

Michael, I've been looking at your kmz file in GE. The Day 1 tracks end and then Day 2 tracks start really far away from where Day 1 ended. I'm I not following them correctly?

Hi Ted;

Glad to see you will make the run; sadly I can only do the weekend.

So far I think just us with P38's - Per Nathen's advise I will be packing a T-stat and some hoses and clips and happy to share whatever is needed.

Rob

I think I am going to change my t-stat and waterpump before the trip just to be safe. I had a small leak when I bought the truck (1.5 year ago) and used some k-seal that sealed it up. But the more I think about it, the more I think it might have been the waterpump and the engine does have 70k miles on it. It hasn't leaked since, but I don't want to risk it. Contrary to many folks misconceptions, mechanically, the P38 has been great. The headaches have been water leaks into the cab and little things. I have spent much more time adding things like roof rack, brushbar, sliders, etc than fixing broken things.

Sorry I missed the MOM, but had some family things to take care of.

No problem. We had a good meeting, and I shared a powerpoint presentation I made about the trip which I will attach as soon as I can figure out how...

A couple things did come up as questions/ideas at the meeting:

1)If you have a particular medical condition/allergy (ie bee stings, peanut allergy, etc) that you would like to share with the group, please post up so everyone will be aware of it and any special medical protocols. If it is something you would like to share only with me (as trip leader) you can send it via private message. Especially if there are any drugs/treatments we should know about.

2)if you are a trained medical professional, or have first aid training, post up. Both Tyler and I have taken the 2 day Wilderness Emergency Medical Training course, but are not trained professionals. I will be carrying a complete first aid kit along with me.

3)I've added, to the back of the powerpoint, key contact information for the trip. If something happens the day of the trip and you can't make it -- please contact me or someone on that list via cell phone and/or email to let us know. We don't want to be standing around waiting/worrying in Big Pine on Friday if you don't show up.

4)We confirmed there will be 2 - 3 Spot Devices. Michael Beaver is working to set up a website link that will track our progress as we go --- I'm assuming we will be the featured event on the NCLR home page!

Day 1 should end at the Hot Springs, and Day 2 should start there... Thats how it looks in the TOPO files. You may want to use that powerpoint file I gave everyone, correlate the waypoints to it (I think they are in order we will be doing them) and then try using your GPS software create the tracks..

Archived