Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of hijacking this thread but ..... What are you using to convert from DMS to UTM? Garmin Mapsource will do that for you if you have it. Just enter the latitudes and longitudes in what ever format and datum you have them and then convert them to UTM NAD27 for plotting on paper maps. Generally, these days people talk in WGS84 but the USGS paper maps use NAD27. No a big deal. The difference between the two datums where we are working is about 220 meters. Not bad if you are looking for a building but serious if you are looking for a Geocache! Interestingly, the coordinates I sent you yesterday are in WGS84 even though they were picked off a NAD27 map. TerraGo software made the conversion automatically.

I haven't figured that part of it out yet. I went to Menlo Park (the USGS guy) and was looking at hard copy maps. He told me that I should use UTM to easily convert a place on the map to a coordinate (and gave me a handy dandy little ruler and instructions how to do it). I figured someplace on the web would give me the conversions -- it is interesting because I am pulling down coordinates off the web and I am not even sure whether they are in WGS84 or NAD27. If you remember right, back on our trip to find that little girls grave in the Mojave, I think I used the wrong format -- which is why we had that crazy detour to the other side of the railroad tracks...either that or I took digital minutes versus minutes and seconds. I'm hoping to build up a list, then do the conversion, then try to find/mark each spot on the map -- if it looks funky, then adjust my algorythm. I also have some good 4WD books (with coordinates) as well as an out of print secrets of the saline valley book (with coordinates) I hope to leverage as well....

Since I know where most of these spots are anyway, what I really want to do, when I set up my GPS, is validate each of the coordinates, so for my next trip I have things exact....

OK, Chuck. I'll work on them when I get the time - taxes, you know.

As for tracks in Google Earth, it will import many different file formats containing GPS locations and tracks/routes. Just open Google Earth and then click OPEN. Use the pull down File Type list to see what file extensions you could use. If you are using Garmin Mapsource then it will take either the .gdb or .gpx formats from Mapsource. If you are going to provide the trip participants with .gpx files or similar then they can use that file to generate their tracks. No work on your part.

What, taxes still not done?

Here is another I am having trouble finding, on the Web at least.

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60002

I am pretty sure, looking at the pictures -- that the Golden Eagle/Little Mac mines are right around Minnietta cabin someplace, but am not sure exactly where. There is also Thompson Canyon -- and at the end of it Thompson Cabin or Thompson Camp -- that looks pretty nice to explore. Not sure if it is a hike or accessible via 4WD. If you could try tracking those spots down it would be helpful....I get home to my detailed topos on Saturday and will try to spend some time.

Chuck, Brian...I don't know if this will help much (or any!) but I've been doing a little Google Earth-ing of the area and between it and referencing my own photos from last year for landmarks, I came up with these co-ordinates:

Emmett C.Harder's Aluminum Cabin: 35º 55' 49.49" N / 117º 07' 33.02" W

Peter B. Kyne's Secret Camp: 35º 56' 25.68" N / 117º 09' 10.33" W

It's tough to get it more exact as the resolution isn't too good with Google Earth below about 10K ft. AGL in that area, but I think I'm pretty darn close.

And from what I can tell, (really not positive on this one, but I think I'm in the ballpark) the Minietta Mine cabin is at 36º 14' 15.18" N / 117º 25' 43.10" W...though that might be the actual mine itself.

Hmm.. that sounds good. I double checked your Minnietta number, it is close to what I found on the web.. See if you can find Golden Eagle/Little Mac and or the Thompson Canyon and Pass....

Could you do me a favor and edit out the actual coordinates from your post and PM them? I don't want the coordinates posted up on the web for all to see -- would rather we use our secure file system to store them for member only access. If we post the coordinates for the general public, I fear we will have too many people descending on our favorite camping spot. Despite the fact that this is currently a members only thread -- there has been talk about opening it up/posting it for the public.

If you have time to poke around -- look for the coordinates of Mengels old Gold Stamp Mill (in Striped Butte Valley). I found an old reference in a book to the mythical "Outlaw Cave" with the Wells Fargo safe that was found in it -- using that Stamp Mill site as a point of reference... I am pretty sure we have been there (think it is where that one group we aced out of the cabin camped the 1st night) but would like to confirm..

P.S. Here is a handy little utility for doing conversions..

.http://www.rcn.montana.edu/resources/tools/coordinates.aspx?nav=11&c=DMS&md=83&mdt=NAD83/WGS84&latd=34&latm=33&lats=54.010&lath=N&lond=110&lonm=29&lons=48.5&lonh=W

I posted the coordinates to Peter B. Kyne's Secret Camp here because we already established early on in this thread that this in indeed a private sub-forum and not viewable to anyone who's not an NCLR member, so the secret should be safe here!

As for the Stamp Mill site, there are about three or four spots that I can see on Google Earth that might be it. Without other pics and landmarks for reference, I just can't tell.

Hi,

I'm a new member of the NCLR Club and am looking forward to this trip!

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? Most likely, it will be my daughter, Zarina, and I

2)What sort of rig do you drive? Land Rover Discovery II 2000 with ARB front and rear lockers, ARB front bumper with WARN XD 9000 winch with steel rope and 2 IPF 968 lights, ARB winch accessories, ARB springs with OME shocks (~3†lift), rock sliders, front skid plate, gas tank protector plate, Safety Devices roof rack, HiLift jack with carrier, FlowMaster muffler, NATO wheels, etc.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency) 285/75/R16

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you? Not planning on any at this time

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? No; this will be our first trip to Death Valley

Is it advisable to bring extra gas/gas cans? We are planning to stay for the first part (4/22-24).

Also, it'll be great to know if you have any suggestions for trail-specific camping supplies.

Regards

Aurangzeb

Ok, I think shortly on the main page will appear a list of all the 15 rigs that are registered for the trip so far from this thread. I need to cut it off pretty soon (we can't have too many rigs or we won't be able to fit in camping spots) so if anyone who signed up on this thread and is now not going could let me know I'd appreciate it. Colin, I am assuming you are still on....

Here is a list of the rigs currently registered. Please double check what I've put down -- especially if you are in for the whole trip or just part of it. Right now, I show everyone coming for the entire trip except for Aurangzeb (who is just in for the first part over the weekend). I am pretty sure some of you may be not planning on starting on Friday, but meeting us in Panamint Springs on Sunday -- need you to clarify if that is so. Otherwise, we will meet in Big Pine at 9:30 am on Friday!

Whole Trip

1. DesertCrawler (Chuck). Going on the entire trip with wife,

sister, son (13),daughter (10) as passengers. Driving a 2004 D2, modified. Is the Trip Leader, led prior NCLR trips to DV.

2. TigerDan(Dan). Going on the entire trip with no passengers. Driving a 91RRC, modified. Trail Leader, went on prior trip to DV with NCLR.

3. ColinB (Paul). Going on the entire trip with a friend. Driving a 1993 RRC, modified. New to DV area.

4. MichaelBeaver(Michael).Going on the entire trip with no passengers. Driving a 2000 D2 that is stock. New to DV area.

5. NigelCowan(Nigel).Going on the entire trip with wife, son (7), daughter(5), son (3).Driving a 1996 D1, modified. New to DV area.

6. HMBRover (Brian).Going on the entire trip with wife. Driving a 2004 D2, modified. Went on prior trip to DV with NCLR. May bug out a day early.

7. SFDiscoII (Leigh).Going on the entire trip with son (12)and son (8).Driving a 2003 D2, modified. New to this part of DV area.

8. LCPDX (Tim).Going on the entire trip with no passengers. Driving a Land Cruiser. Went on prior trip with NCLR to DV.

9. and 10. KSuttle(Kevin).Going on the entire trip with wife, daughter(11), daughter(8), and daughter (6).Driving two vehicles - a 2005 LR3, modified and a 2007 LR3, modified. New to DV area.

11. Teds (Ted). Going on entire trip with daughter (4). Driving a 2000 RRS, modified. New to Death Valley area. May leave early.

First Part Only

1. Aurangzeb(Aurangzeb).Going on first part of trip only with daughter. Driving a 2007 LR3, modified. New to DV area.

2. Karl from Land Rover Rocklin (guest of MichaelBeaver). Going on first part of trip only. Has a modified discovery.

3. RobG (Rob). Going on first part only with his friend. Driving a 2000 RRSE.

4. RonC110 (Ron). Going on first part only. Driving his Camel Trophy 110.

5. RSorenson (Richard).Going on the first part of trip with wife and son (3). Driving a 2005LR3, mods. New to Death Valley area.

Second Part only

1. SloHybrid (Nathan). Going on second part of trip -- meeting up at Panamint Springs. No passengers. Driving a 93RRS, modified. Trail Leader, went on prior trip to DV with NCLR.

2. Arthur. Going on the second part of trip with wife. Driving a 109 with a V8. Guest of club, sponsored by Nathan .

Amendments

3. SloHybrid (Nathan) Going on the 2nd part of the trip trip with no passengers. Driving a 93 RRC, modified. Trail Leader, went on prior trip to DV with NCLR. Will hook up Sunday afternoon somewhere!

9. Arthur. Going on the 2nd part of the trip with Wife. Driving a 109 with a V8. Guest of club, sponsored by Nathan (his cousin) we will leave the cousin thing in there but not sure what you mean by that Chuck.:P

OK -- I've updated the list with changes...

Nathan - I'll post coordinates of the two camping spots I have in mind. Both are near cabins -- and I have the GPS coordinates I can give you. So far, I think you are the only second part of trip people. We will be hitting PSR for gas early on Sunday (after breaking camp up in the Hunter Mountains) and then heading out to whatever cabin is available. We'll probably send a couple recce groups to each one at the same time -- then figure out which one we are going to snag. Both are relatively close (less than 2 hours) from PSR. I'll disclose more as I move forward with the trip plans...

We're still in for the whole trip except that we'll probably be doing an early bug out, probably Thursday to be able to get home and ready for Pacific Coast Dream Machines on Sunday. Our Amateur Radio Emergency Service group in HMB is providing communications support to the airfield during the event.

We're still in for the whole trip except that we'll probably be doing an early bug out, probably Thursday to be able to get home and ready for Pacific Coast Dream Machines on Sunday. Our Amateur Radio Emergency Service group in HMB is providing communications support to the airfield during the event.

Ok -- but once you see the route I have planned you may decide to hang out a bit late. Right now, the planned part of things is scheduled to end on Friday (or Saturday depending on conditions) with a exit via the Escape Trail through Fish Canyon/Isham area...

New member to the NCLR looking to join the weekend fun.

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? - My mate Eric

2)What sort of rig do you drive? - 2000 RR SE

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? - Standard issue 255/65-16

4)What spare parts will you be carrying with you? - EAS parts, basic electrical, handtools, bailing wire and chewing gum

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? - Nope, first run out to DV

Looking forward to putting faces to names and enjoying the location.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome!

I really would suggest you bring a water thermostat for your car as they are unique (built into a plastic housing) to your car only as the D2's are slightly different and I have had to fix one on the trail before and they are a pain if you don't have a spare.

Cheers!

Nathan

New member to the NCLR looking to join the weekend fun.

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? - My mate Eric

2)What sort of rig do you drive? - 2000 RR SE

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? - Standard issue 255/65-16

4)What spare parts will you be carrying with you? - EAS parts, basic electrical, handtools, bailing wire and chewing gum

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? - Nope, first run out to DV

Looking forward to putting faces to names and enjoying the location.

Rob

Archived