Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chuck,

Made reservation today @ Bristlecone Motel, Big Pine. 2 person, 2dbl bed, 1 nite for $68.

They also have available a 3 BR, 2 Bath double wide available for $158. has room for 9 persons. Queen bed in 1 rm, dbl bed in another, and 3 twins in the 3rd rm, also a foldout sofa. It may be a good deal for some of the group.

I'd cancel my resv and trade up for the 3 BR, if others are willing to put up with my snoring :)

Group has to make a quick decision b4 it gets rented out to others.

Rupe

PS hope this is private msg to members

Hmmm that sounds good. I'll rent it and offer spaces since I have 5 people in my party! We'll take the queen and three twins rooms -- leave the double bed for another

Chuck,

The bigger cabin (s) in Butte Valley are called Russ' Camp after Asa (aka panamint) russ. They are showing some wear and if you want to stay there bring some cleaning supplies. Wouldnt hurt to have a hammer and some nails or a screw gun too. Please check to make sure the water is flowing to all the plants in the yard. It was pretty overgrown there when I was there in december.

Briggs cabin- if you can bring a 5 gallon propane tank it would really make your stay much nicer! I am assuming you are not planning to do the loop to get there I bet it would be snowed in as well.

box car cabin will be on the right as you are leaving the springs. I THINK Its about six miles in from HWY 190. You will be on a straight section thats pretty short having just come out of a more curvy section. Its easy to spot from the road but its also easy to miss if you arent looking at the right time.

Chuck,

The bigger cabin (s) in Butte Valley are called Russ' Camp after Asa (aka panamint) russ. They are showing some wear and if you want to stay there bring some cleaning supplies. Wouldnt hurt to have a hammer and some nails or a screw gun too. Please check to make sure the water is flowing to all the plants in the yard. It was pretty overgrown there when I was there in december.

Briggs cabin- if you can bring a 5 gallon propane tank it would really make your stay much nicer! I am assuming you are not planning to do the loop to get there I bet it would be snowed in as well.

box car cabin will be on the right as you are leaving the springs. I THINK Its about six miles in from HWY 190. You will be on a straight section thats pretty short having just come out of a more curvy section. Its easy to spot from the road but its also easy to miss if you arent looking at the right time.

Linus-

We are going up Lippencott grade and then thru Teakettle junction from the springs. Would I need to take the road down towards the spring where it intersects Hunter Mountain pass road --- or is it off of Hunter Mountain Pass Road once I pass that intersection and start heading to 190? You don't have any GPS coordinates, do you?

Chuck,

if you are on the road over hunter mountain, it will put you back on to saline valley road north of the cabin. So, when you reach the end of the hunter mountain road dont go right back down the canyon to saline valley but go left over the pass and start coming back down towards 190. I dont have the GPS numbers and my computer with google earth is down and I keep borrowing someone elses and dont want to install it on here. Ill hopefully have mine fixed before your trip and can get them for you.

Chuck,

if you are on the road over hunter mountain, it will put you back on to saline valley road north of the cabin. So, when you reach the end of the hunter mountain road dont go right back down the canyon to saline valley but go left over the pass and start coming back down towards 190. I dont have the GPS numbers and my computer with google earth is down and I keep borrowing someone elses and dont want to install it on here. Ill hopefully have mine fixed before your trip and can get them for you.

Sounds good. I've been scouring the net -- can't find the coordinates. Even did a flyover of the route using Google Earth -- didn't see a likely location based on your directions. I get that it is on the right (once we go past the intersection with Saline Valley Road) -- and it is about 5 miles in from 190 -- just don't know how far from the Saline valley road to start looking...

Good eyes Brian. That sure looks like the spot. It will be good to have the coordinates -- this will be Saturday nights campsite so anyone joining up with us on Saturday can meet us there (it's only 5 miles off the pavement along pretty good road, parts that used to be paved, if I remember right). Then we can round up the rest of the segment 2 folks on Sunday (at Panamint Springs). We will probably want to send a few recce groups out. The cabin I'd really like to get on Sunday night would be Briggs camp -- if that isn't available then i am hoping for either Minnietta or Osborne. I believe I've seen the coordinates for those cabins posted on the web..the only one I've never been to is Osborne. If we do end up in Minnietta or Osborne on Sunday night -- then I'd want to try again for Briggs on Monday night if it sounds like whomever is there will be vacating. Briggs is so cool I am thinking of a two night stay there..

Chuck,

I think I will be able to make this, my rover has been suffering from a lack of off highway use and I need to fix that quick...

I am planning on both segments.

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? Me, Jack (12) and Calum (8)

2)What sort of rig do you drive? Still driving the 2003 DiscoII, lift, winch, rear locker, protection all-round.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency) BFG AT 265 75 R16

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you? Not sure

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? Nope, it's about time.

Thanks,

Leigh

Leigh- that sounds great! We should have number of kids on this years run. Made me think about other planning items we need to be thinking about for this trip -- especially things we might get some folks to volunteer to help out on..

1)Cooking arrangements -- generally, I see folks clustering up in a bit of a pot-luck type environment. Usually we are grilling up meat, veggies, etc and sharing a bunch of community food. I'm actually thinking about a dutch oven this time -- and pre-preparing some nice goodies to cook up camp-side. As day grows closer -- we can probably get a bit more creative around this. Should we have designated "pot luck nights" or something else like that?

2)Water -- remember -- this is a desert. And it is possible to break down and get lost -- needing outside assistance. Every rig should be carrying extra water -- remembering we are typically dry camping -- in the event of a breakdown or emergency.

3)Easter egg hunt -- we need to think about eggs this year with all the kids. Hide em up and have the bunny come. Should probably coordinate a plan around all of that.

4)Geocaching -- lots of good geocaches in the area. If we could get one of the kids to own up to finding some good geocache sites along our route -- might add some fun to the equation. If I had more time, I'd try to plot some geocaches along our course. Anyone into that hobby that can post up a list of Death Valley/Panamint geocaches?

5)GPS waypoints -- I am going to try and complie a list of GPS waypoints from my maps and Google Earth for everyone with a GPS. Anyone else who has good ones -- let me know...Not so interested in tracks as much as points of interest (ie Osbourne cabin, Marble Bath, etc...)

6)RC Cars -- Tyler and I are bringing our RCs to play with in the desert during camp time. Any other kids got some they want to bring along?

7)Sleeping arrangments -- you should plan on needing a tent (or sleeping in your rig). Wind can be an issue, so bring extra rope, etc in case you need to anchor your tent to your rig.

As time gets closer, we'll have to make sure I've got a complete list of actual attendees, and we establish contact criteria. I'm OK with some people that are familiar with the area meeting us "along the way" -- but it is easy to get lost out there (or broken down) so would prefer to set some specific meeting places and times. Right now that would be the departure point (breakfast restaraunt on Friday morning) -- and Panamint Springs Resort on Sunday evening (need to firm up time, etc -- we might be able to hook up earlier..). I've got a Yosemite trip coming, with 5 days of "in the cabin" time -- so am hoping to be able to do some detailed review of my topo maps and do some more focused trip planning then...

Chuck,

I think I will be able to make this, my rover has been suffering from a lack of off highway use and I need to fix that quick...

I am planning on both segments.

1)Who is coming on the trip with you? Me, Jack (12) and Calum (8)

2)What sort of rig do you drive? Still driving the 2003 DiscoII, lift, winch, rear locker, protection all-round.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency) BFG AT 265 75 R16

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you? Not sure

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before? Nope, it's about time.

Thanks,

Leigh

Chuck,

Just to confirm Richard Silvia and Kai will be attending and meeting up at the restuarant Friday A.M. I think I gave you all the specifics about the vehicle already. Let me know if you need anymore info or contact numbers, or if there is anything else I need to know so that we are prepared. Thanks

Now that it's official, I wanted to start this thread to let each of the people going on the trip introduce themselves and their rigs. There is some basic information about everybody I wanted to gather as well so please respond to the following questions:

1)Who is coming on the trip with you?

SOLO

2)What sort of rig do you drive?

FZJ80 LAND CRUISER WITH FACTORY FRONT AND REAR ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFS. AND THE USUAL BUMPERS, LIGHTS, WINCH, SLIDERS, ETC.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency)

315/75/16

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you?

NONE

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before?

YES 2009

6)What type of communications gear do you have?

CB

introduce themselves and their rigs......

Hi folks, looking forward to some windshield time....I'll be driving down from Portland to Big Pine via 395.

SOLO

FZJ80 LAND CRUISER WITH FACTORY FRONT AND REAR ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFS. AND THE USUAL BUMPERS, LIGHTS, WINCH, SLIDERS, ETC.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency)

315/75/16

NONE

YES 2009

CB

Now that it's official, I wanted to start this thread to let each of the people going on the trip introduce themselves and their rigs. There is some basic information about everybody I wanted to gather as well so please respond to the following questions:

SOLO

315/75/16

NONE

YES 2009

CB

Nice to have you along but I don't like this comment even if it is a Toyota you better be carrying some as you are SOL if something does break as We all drive Rovers ( Except Barry)!:)

Lets hope youre A/C does not overheat the FJ going up Goler

NONE

Leigh- that sounds great! We should have number of kids on this years run. Made me think about other planning items we need to be thinking about for this trip -- especially things we might get some folks to volunteer to help out on..

1)Cooking arrangements -- generally, I see folks clustering up in a bit of a pot-luck type environment. Usually we are grilling up meat, veggies, etc and sharing a bunch of community food. I'm actually thinking about a dutch oven this time -- and pre-preparing some nice goodies to cook up camp-side. As day grows closer -- we can probably get a bit more creative around this. Should we have designated "pot luck nights" or something else like that?

2)Water -- remember -- this is a desert. And it is possible to break down and get lost -- needing outside assistance. Every rig should be carrying extra water -- remembering we are typically dry camping -- in the event of a breakdown or emergency.

3)Easter egg hunt -- we need to think about eggs this year with all the kids. Hide em up and have the bunny come. Should probably coordinate a plan around all of that.

4)Geocaching -- lots of good geocaches in the area. If we could get one of the kids to own up to finding some good geocache sites along our route -- might add some fun to the equation. If I had more time, I'd try to plot some geocaches along our course. Anyone into that hobby that can post up a list of Death Valley/Panamint geocaches?

5)GPS waypoints -- I am going to try and complie a list of GPS waypoints from my maps and Google Earth for everyone with a GPS. Anyone else who has good ones -- let me know...Not so interested in tracks as much as points of interest (ie Osbourne cabin, Marble Bath, etc...)

6)RC Cars -- Tyler and I are bringing our RCs to play with in the desert during camp time. Any other kids got some they want to bring along?

7)Sleeping arrangments -- you should plan on needing a tent (or sleeping in your rig). Wind can be an issue, so bring extra rope, etc in case you need to anchor your tent to your rig.

As time gets closer, we'll have to make sure I've got a complete list of actual attendees, and we establish contact criteria. I'm OK with some people that are familiar with the area meeting us "along the way" -- but it is easy to get lost out there (or broken down) so would prefer to set some specific meeting places and times. Right now that would be the departure point (breakfast restaraunt on Friday morning) -- and Panamint Springs Resort on Sunday evening (need to firm up time, etc -- we might be able to hook up earlier..). I've got a Yosemite trip coming, with 5 days of "in the cabin" time -- so am hoping to be able to do some detailed review of my topo maps and do some more focused trip planning then...

Chuck,

Looks like I am about 99.9 % sure I will be there. Not sure if I will be in on the Pot luck scene, my boy's can be a real pain in the a@#$ when it comes to food so I think I best be prepared to cook stuff i know they eat.

I am up for some easter bunny stuff, my good wife normally takes the lead on that kind of thing, shes going to be in NY City so I guess I need to man up and take it on. Do you do the chocolate kind or the hard boiled decorated kind?

Water is definitely a must, how many days between resupply points should we be planning on?

Really looking forward to week on the trails...

I would plan on a max of 3 days worth of water/gas without re-supply. That said, there will be spots along the way we will be able to get free-running water from the cabins, etc that is most likely perfectly good to drink if boiled (or maybe even not). For my group of 5 -- I'll be hauling about 10 gallons of water in jugs, and a lot of bottled water. I figure about 2 quarts per day per person x 5 x 3 days is a goodly amount, if people don't waste it doing things like washing up and the like! I was reading about someone who took some people out into the desert for the first time, and then quickly drained their 10 gallon water supply the first night using it to shower, etc...

For eggs, I think we need those break apart plasticy kind, that we can put candy in and then turn everyone loose hiding the night before. My kids are getting a little old for this, but I think they will still partake cause it's a tradition. It's also fun to fill a few up with pocket change. You can have lilKrawler tell you about the mythical easter egg hidden up on the mountain behind Stellas camp he hiked up and down to find. On his last trip he found it, along with a $20 bill!

Michael,

That looks like a good deal. I've got a local spot (Mountain View Army/Navy Surplus) that I've bought the NATO version of these (I think) in similar shape for around $30 each, if I remember. I do have a spout, but ended up getting a siphon hose and using it instead. I carry my cans up on my roof rack -- and with a siphon hose (with one of those doohickies that allows you not to suck gas) I can drain them without taking them off my rig.

just got them today. they are in great condition, minus some external scratching... OD green, yellow cap holders (which is typical for diesel, so will order red cap holders) but they have obviously only held gas (petrol) so I am good. quiet happy as I did not want to put big red "steal me I am gas" cans on top of the rig!

Chuck,

Lucinda and I plus our 3 girls are considering coming along. A couple of quick questions:

1) How difficult is Chicken Rock? Watched a few vids on YouTube and those made us pucker a bit.

2) How do the adopt-a-cabin's work? Do we sleep in the cabins...or would we still be tenting.

3) Seems like we will be near Panamint on Sunday, Monday, and maybe Wednesday. Does this provide an opportunity to replenish water and food or do we need to pack in everything we need on day 1

-Kevin

Chicken Rock is not really difficult at all...just a little hair-raising. I think that pucker factor is what gives it it's reputation. It looks worse than it is. There's just no margin for error, as can be attested to by the woman who found the quick way down in her jeep a couple of years ago...!

Different cabins are setup differently. Most have limited sleeping accommodations so that some of use will have the choice of sleeping in them if we want, but it's best to plan on tenting it most nights. Last year we stayed the entire week at Stella's cabin, which is actually two cabins. One is stone and we used it as our kitchen and cold weather evening hang-out, building toasty fires in the woodstove. The other is pretty much a sleeping cabin, but I was the only one willing to brave the possible nocturnal visitors (never saw any) and sleep in it. Everyone else tented.

I just picked up a 30-gallon Lyster water bag. Not sure if we can get any use out of it, but it was free...I was helping to clean out the barn at one of our state parks here and it was put in the back of my truck to go to the dump, so I snagged it. Thought it might be useful for showers or something...

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_medical_other_lyster_bag.php

Archived