Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Steven. I might take you up on it, if the fridge were the size of a small breadbasket. I've done a test pack, and that's all the room I have left with 5 people in the vehicle with me. I didin't realize how much room the gosh darn food was going to be taking....7 days and 5 people. Had to leave out one of my two 5 gallon water jugs, and also the propane fired grill for cooking steaks. Going to need to rely on the firepit...

Chuck, we'll have a small propane fired grill that you are welcome to use. We're doing a mix of stove and grill cooking. Bring a propane bottle just in case ours runs out.

-Kevin

Don't forget -- chocolate melts in the sun..

That's why I now have an ARB fridge

Chuck you should know I am not a technology man so I am without the GPS advantages but do have Google Earth so will find the locations that way.

Was George the really tall thin guy we saw in 09 there?

Chuck,

Do you have any idea how many miles it is down Wingate rd before the left turn to Briggs? it is before Goler correct?

Also if you go to Minnietta mine is this the one we tried to stay @ in 09 but was occupied so we slept literally on top of a shaft further on instead??

Sorry man I have no GPS and Google Earth isn't helping or Google maps on Minnietta or Osbourne.

What you might want to do is load that GPX file I posted up into google maps if you can......

But to get to Briggs, here are the directions from Ballarat:

Head on the road towards Goler Wash. 3.9 miles from Ballarat, there is an unmarked side road on the left that goes to Briggs. It climbs steeply up to the top of the mesa. 2.8 miles from the intersection (6.7 miles from Ballarat) you will enter the canyon. 8.1 miles in, you will hit a road to the left that goes to Suitcase mine. Keep on the main road, and 8.8 miles from Ballarat, you will hit Briggs Camp.

Yes, Minnietta is the one we tried to stay at in 09. If we end up going that way, I'll leave (in Ballarat) a copy of the directions on how to get there from one of my guidebooks. I know you need to start heading to Panamint Srpings Resort, and then run into an intersection that heads to the left on Minnietta mine Road. I've never been to Osbourne, but the guide book I have has directions to both.

But to get to Briggs, here are the directions from Ballarat:

...and 8.8 miles from Ballarat, you will hit Briggs Camp.

So it's only 8.8 miles from Ballarat to Briggs. That shouldn't take an hour, we're talking about Nathan here. It'll only take that crazy Limey about 15-20 minutes, tops!

For those of you think about breakfast friday, here's a link to the rally point...http://www.yelp.com/biz/jeffs-country-kitchen-big-pine

What time is breakfast meeting time?

What time do we meet if not eating?

I am staying in Bishop, not sure if I will eat before leaving the hotel.

See you Friday :-)

What time is breakfast meeting time?

What time do we meet if not eating?

I am staying in Bishop, not sure if I will eat before leaving the hotel.

See you Friday :-)

Cmon dude.. -- do your homework. :> Here is the latest PDF wilth all the information. Good thing to print out and bring with you. I also have attached the latest GPX file I downloaded from my GPS that I'll be navigating off of...useful for your GPS, or go old school, open it up and convert to something you can print out.

But, the answer to your question is that we will be leaving the place at 9:30 am sharp. Meeting for breakfast at 8am. Come a little early and have a cup of Joe...

Sorry guys/gals, my work schedule didn't work out for this tirp; i have a sales call on Friday (been waiting for this call to happen) and proposal work to follow after.

No Margator (I was support to bring the margarita) but don't let that stop you guys from bringing your own (smile). Enjoy and be safe; I might just end up sddoing a shorter distance trip so I can be back Monday; maybe the Mendo trip or Lost Coast; will roll the dice; c yah and have fun!

Ron

No promises that we will even be there on Wednesday, but if all goes to plan -- you could do it in the morning and then get out in time. It is only a few miles away from our planned campsite that night. And if we don't get Briggs on Sunday night, we'll being doing Defense earlier...

Ok! thanks Chuck I kinda found Briggs but didn't want to mis the turn and yes Dan now I have 35" tires I just roll over everything!

I remember how to get to Minnietta (photographic memory) but Osbourne looks like it is further down the same road?

I am sure everyone has been running round like a chicken with their head cut off but it all starts for some tomorrow and I can't wait to relax on this trip.

No promises that we will even be there on Wednesday, but if all goes to plan -- you could do it in the morning and then get out in time. It is only a few miles away from our planned campsite that night. And if we don't get Briggs on Sunday night, we'll being doing Defense earlier...

Thanks

Sorry guys/gals, my work schedule didn't work out for this tirp; i have a sales call on Friday (been waiting for this call to happen) and proposal work to follow after.

No Margator (I was support to bring the margarita) but don't let that stop you guys from bringing your own (smile). Enjoy and be safe; I might just end up sddoing a shorter distance trip so I can be back Monday; maybe the Mendo trip or Lost Coast; will roll the dice; c yah and have fun!

Ron

Bummer, was hoping to catch up with you on the trip. Take care of business, see you next time

Almost packed! One D1, five people, camping gear, food, wood, gas and no space left...

We will be hitting the road around 8:00am tomorrow heading to DV via the north route. Will be stopping a lot so look for a black D1 fully loaded! Staying the night in Bishop so expecting to be at the rendezvous point around 9:00 Friday. Looking forward to the trip! See all of you soon.

Chuck - unfortunately we will be bugging out with the group on Sunday:(. Business affairs are getting the better of me!

Yes, we checked earlier. It's only expected to snow maybe an inch total accumulation over the course of the day tomorrow, I doubt that will cause much problem for our trucks. We're still planning to go that way...

got everything.... but firewood. its seems like winter is over and NO ONE has it... I have a line on some at OSH.... going to see if they have any in the morning..... *sigh*

Just wait till you hit the passes. Then you will wonder if winter is over. Can buy firewood along the way...This morning I try to fit all my stuff on top of the Disco II. It will be a challenge. I think I am there weightwise -- nothing too heavy -- but I got a lot of volume...

Archived