2011, 5th annual NCLR event...

If you would like to go with a Luau type event I have a lot of Polynesian friends who could help with pig above ground , below ground or both also my girlfriend teaches polynesian dancers that perform at Luau and fundraisers.

Rugbyrover/AstateofMike aka Mr President, I like the idea of a Polynesian/Hawaiian Theme for our 5th Annv. Cooking the pig above ground is possible since HH (Holister Hills) has the cooking platform already - was used last year's to roast two small pigs during Overland Rally in HH. Also I am sure folks have Tiki torches sitting around the garage and would let us borrow them for the event as long as HH would also us around the stage area.

Continue the adventure theme with an "Amazing Race" like contest; NCLR members in teams! Let you imagination run here and think of the possibilities - we can use the new obstable course as part of the race.

Going along with the Polynesian theme, we can have a "Land Rover Survival" contest.

Rugbyrover, what size pig and est cost for 50 or so NCLR members and guest?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't get too excited. We're just going to get enrique drunk again and convince him that he's a polynesian dancer

ROFL

I see a lighted pole in your future Phil. (were you even there? My memory fails me. I wonder why lol)

I can check with my friend but I would guess two pigs medium/small size is a couple hundred$. I'm sure I can talk them into getting the pigs, prep them and roast them for free (we supply beer!) As for dancers she has boys and girls of all ages normally its for a church or fundraising event. The dancers get money placed on them during their dances. Give me a call 510-502-0481 I get more info. How long do we want the show? 1 hour? also do we have or need a DJ

ROFL

I see a lighted pole in your future Phil. (were you even there? My memory fails me. I wonder why lol)

LOL yes I was there and yes I do remember the lighted pole, but months of therapy has removed the rest of the night's transgressions from my memory.

• 1 month later...
I can check with my friend but I would guess two pigs medium/small size is a couple hundred$. I'm sure I can talk them into getting the pigs, prep them and roast them for free (we supply beer!) As for dancers she has boys and girls of all ages normally its for a church or fundraising event. The dancers get money placed on them during their dances. Give me a call 510-502-0481 I get more info. How long do we want the show? 1 hour? also do we have or need a DJ

Rugby,

Have you had a chance to talk to your friend? I will give you a call.

We should also consider another meat alternative...suggestions are always welcome.

(from the general audience)

Cheers

At the Overland Expo event two weeks before last year's NCLR Annual Event they did a pig roast quite successfully in the large BBQ pit. Not quite the same a hole-in-the-ground type pit, but still very tasty...

At the Overland Expo event two weeks before last year's NCLR Annual Event they did a pig roast quite successfully in the large BBQ pit. Not quite the same a hole-in-the-ground type pit, but still very tasty...

Where's the contact info for the Overland Expo? I'd like to check it out this year.

• 1 month later...
Good Googly Moogly Steve ( wanted to use stronger language, but this IS a family open site!), I thought you had the problem licked there with all the vents up front for a flow through ventilation sysytem. Any clues as to why the slipped liner?, or do you just favor running in the desert with over 100 degrees average temp? Or maybe too much low speed, high outside temp without a secondary electric fan, or over-ridable stock fan? Not to ride you on your dilemna, just curious, as all, to hopefully avoid your unfortunate situation. Maybe we should start a continuous fund jar for members that "drop a liner" under normal situations ( read non- abuse, aka "natural death") kinda like a group insurance policy or sumpin' like that! You lose a motor, everything checks out as a normal death by a certified mechanic ( no evidence of loss of coolant, oil, fans not working), the jar helps out like a deductible.

Hey guys. So I am really trying to break away to make it to this event. I wanted to ask about communication stuff and camping gear. I am planning on tenting it truck side Saturday. I usually don't bring the roof top tent for these sorts of events since it means having to tear it all down each morning to go do trails and stuff. I assume that we can just set up camp Saturday morning and leave it set up all day? I've never been to Hollister Hills so I don't really know the routine. Also in regards to communication I never owned a CB and only have HAM gear. Am I going to be in the dark in regards to communication or does the club use HAM officially? I appreciate it.

Hey Christian. You can leave your tent setup the entire time you're at the Annual Event. There's a good number of HAM members in the club and we'll be having a HAM demo on Saturday. CB is usually used on the trails. Here's a pic of the camp area.

I assume you'll be driving the 110, but I gotta say, I've always wanted to see DiscoNomad in person.

Hey Christian. You can leave your tent setup the entire time you're at the Annual Event. There's a good number of HAM members in the club and we'll be having a HAM demo on Saturday. CB is usually used on the trails.

I assume you'll be driving the 110, but I gotta say, I've always wanted to see DiscoNomad in person. See you at the Event.

Yes unfortunately the Disco is no longer with me anymore. It's in someone else's hands now...sadly on the east coast. I will however be taking the 110 and I have to admit I'm a little intimidated to wheel it hard. With only 1700 miles since it's full frame off nut and bolt restoration you can understand my hesitation to risk. I'm also still getting comfortable with using stick off road so if don't be too surprised if you see me sticking behind stock trucks. Ha! So do you think I should pick up a handheld CB?

A handheld cb would be a good idea. There are lots of places to take the 110 in the park without going crazy. We have runs scheduled for stock to hardcore trails.

Thanks for the info. I actually might try and come up Friday afternoon if possible. Fingers crossed that no wrench gets thrown into my plan.

Christian,

If you already have a ham radio in your rig, you are pretty much set. Our club uses 146.460 simplex on 2 meters as long as no one else is using the frequency. Down at Hollister, there are 2 repeaters that cover the area. The N6SBC repeater is on Fremont Peak: 147.315 with a 94.8 PL tone. The W6MOW repeater is on frequency 441.910 with a 110.9 PL tone.

Both Brian, KØDTJ & Dan, KO1RVR will be arriving Friday afternoon and they're both hams so don't be afraid to call out when you get near Hollister. As Brenton already mentioned, we are planning a ham radio demo including some APRS radios.

See you there.

Hey guys. So I am really trying to break away to make it to this event. I wanted to ask about communication stuff and camping gear. I am planning on tenting it truck side Saturday. I usually don't bring the roof top tent for these sorts of events since it means having to tear it all down each morning to go do trails and stuff. I assume that we can just set up camp Saturday morning and leave it set up all day? I've never been to Hollister Hills so I don't really know the routine. Also in regards to communication I never owned a CB and only have HAM gear. Am I going to be in the dark in regards to communication or does the club use HAM officially? I appreciate it.

Archived