Death Valley in April Planning Thread

I'm now leaning against Cerro Gordo. Will need to do some research, but am thinking maybe that taking the folks doing Segment 1 up Lippencott, via Teakettle might be a bit more fun. Maybe camp up in the Hunter Mountains, and explore a bit in that area...

I am still going to contact them, get what the rates would be if we stayed there -- and see if it is even a possibility. I am seeing reports that even at that time of year, may still be a lot of snow...not really into that in Death Valley...

This will be expedition style, so plan on tents, sleeping bags, etc. Plus an extra gas can with 5 gallons in it. We will also need to pack our own water. There will be spots we can re-supply -- but remember it is a desert!

Updated:

For Run 1: We have Chuck, Dan, Barry, Chris, Nigel, Brian, Rupert, Nathan and Michael (9 rigs)

For Run 2: We have Chuck, Dan, Barry, Nigel, Brian, Michael and Nathan(7 rigs)

I didn't get a chance to submit up the actual trip form yet. But it looks like we won't need to do a lot of advertising for this one -- it should be pretty full. I am going to cut it off at 12 rigs, so that leaves 4 slots for those of you following this thread to get your bids in on.....

Alright OK! count me in but have to choose which LWB's to drive now as I have 2 and also Arthur in his 109 V8 et family.. I am leaning to the second trip (Goler/Panamint) on the 25th though but don't care where as I always enjoy Chuck's trips.

I sent in the trip request to the Board of Directors to make things official. I nominated Dan and Nathan as trip leaders.

Dan, your job is to set some time up with Linus to talk through his recent trip to Death Valley and find us a good camping spot/run in Hunter Pass...maybe we buy him dinner and install my roof rack!

I did the loop in a canvas topped 88. I followed vehicles with RTTs so I dont think its a problem, it is a long way down but as long as you pay attention and dont point your car the wrong way all will be fine.

Camping in the hunter mountain area is a challenge- you could stay at john hunters cabin or at the buckhorn box car cabin. Hunters cabin is not really something you can stay in. The box car cabin is quite nice but cant fit everyone for sleeping. Look it up on google it has a website I think.

Hey Linus thanks for the G2. We are starting to refine trip plans a bit more in the other thread (official trip thread) now that we've got date locked down. Everyone who is on this thread shoudl be able to access it as well -- I do think it is restricted to members only but I am pretty sure everyone who is going is a member so shoudl have access. I don't want to post our detailed itinerary/cabin names /dates for eveyone to see -- otherwise we may have unexpected company who woke up early to beat us to our campsite!

Also, i messed up. First segement start point is BIG PINE not Lone Pine. Gary is making changes to the trip information page as follows:

The first group will meet at Big Pine, CA and leave for park at 9:30am from Jeffrey’s Country Kitchen (along 395 in Big Pine). We’ll be gathering up for a group breakfast (for those inclined) at 8am. The address for Jeff’s Country Kitchen is181 S Main St Big Pine, CA 93513 and their phone number is 760-938-2402.

I would suggest that you get a hotel in Big Pine (it is a small town, there are three motels—last time we stayed at the Bristlecone Inn) the night before.

Bishop, California is 15 miles North, so if you want to get a nicer selection of Hotels you can always stay there as well. Just remember you will need to get up early to meet everyone for breakfast at the diner.

Thanks for the catch Rupert!

...I don't want to post our detailed itinerary/cabin names /dates for eveyone to see -- otherwise we may have unexpected company who woke up early to beat us to our campsite!

Nawww...that would never happen!

Chuck where are we going to meet on the 25th?? as I need to know where to stay the night before??

thanks the plonkerthat is technically hopeless.

Nathan,

We'd be meeting up in Panamint Springs, at the Panamint Springs resort. We'll be camping nearby that night as well -- so check the other thread for details on that.

Archived