Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake Snow Run, Feb 19-21

This will be the 9th year of the Shaver trip, and should have some good wheelin' for everyone. For those who have never been, please read the following info about the trip, and post any questions you may have. For the veterans we're keeping with the same formula as in the past.

If you want to be part of the group who makes a campsite reservation, let me know. They now take online reservations so it will be easy to get all are spots. 

Attending

Don
Lutzi
Antonio
Jeremy P
Nils
Jared and Erin
Colin
Bear - Maybe
Volkov
TigerDan
Michal c
Chad
Paul and Jamie
Dcproven - Cabin

SCLR

Jake
Garrett
Scott
Jpsen88

2 to 3 trucks per site

223 Jake
 225 Don
 226 Nick
 227 Antonio
 229 Lutzi Haas
 230 Jared and Erin
 231 Paul , Colin, Jamie and Drew (Volkov)

Detailed Plan: 

Friday, 2/19
3pm Arrive at Camp Edison
5pm Camp fire, BYO dinner

Saturday, 2/20
9am Leave Camp Edison
9:30am Arrive at trail-head, air down, driver meeting, arrange truck order
10am Start the run
2pm Head back to town
6pm Pizza in Shaver Lake

Sunday,2/21
Pack up camp and head home at your leisure 

Description:

Shaver Lake is located at the 5,500 ft. elevation, one hour northeast of Fresno in central California. The area is known for abundant outdoor activities: snow skiing, snowmobiling, water skiing, fishing, and backpacking, horseback riding, 4-wheeling and camping.

Camp Edison has heated bathrooms with shower facilities (tokens can be purchased with quarters on the way in), and electrical outlets for each campsite. The breakers can trip easily, so please talk to your camp mates about any heaters or equipment with high power needs you may be using. 

Trip Details:

Trail Leader: Lutzi Haas 

Current Weather Conditions at Shaver Lake

Camp Edison
P.O.Box 600
42696 Tollhouse Rd. 
Shaver Lake, CA. 93664

Phone: 559-841-3134
Fax: 559-841-3193

Map & GPS of Area:

Camp Edison 37° 7'19.64"N 119°18'53.75"W 
Shaver Lake Snow Run Trail Head 37° 4'6.56"N 119°10'52.67"W
Bald Mountain Trail Head 37° 6'5.17"N 119°10'11.50"W

Expected Trail conditions:

Expect deep snow fingers crossed, stay on the trial at all times or you will get very stuck very quickly.
There is always the possibility of body damage. Ruts, whoops, drifts, ice, are all common ways to crunch a panel.
If you stop forward movement, do not spin your wheels. The friction melts the snow and then freezes into ice, reducing the quality of the trail surface.

Vehicle Requirements: 

Chains- Chains may be required on the way to Camp Edison. If you have street tires and plan to hit the trail, you will need two sets of chains. If you have not installed chains before, please test fit them before the trip. Check for clearance issues around brake or ABS lines as well as tire wells during articulation. Stock vehicles (without chains) should remain at Camp Edison and find someone to ride shot-gun with on Bald Mountain.

Tires
All vehicles should be fitted with All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires and have a full sized spare. A tire repair kit is recommended. Tires aired down before hitting trail

Recovery Points- Strong recovery points front and rear are a must. Expect to pull someone (or yourself) from either end of your truck multiple times.

Required Safety & Recovery Equipment:

Fire extinguisher, Hi-Lift and/or X-Jack (at least one vehicle carry one), winch (every other vehicle is optimal), recovery strap (each vehicle should have their own)
Metal shovel (shovel snow), first aid kit, repair tools and spares to suit your vehicle, tire gauge and tire pump
Emergency overnight pack of food, water, blanket

Trail Communications:

HAM radio 146.460 (simplex)

Shaver Lake Repeaters
146.820- 141.3 KE6JZ

CB (channel 7)

Clothing Suggestions:

Snow/winter clothing- layer with base clothing that wicks sweat, polar fleece, wind/water repellent shell jacket or winter jacket; winter gloves, hat or beanie, and snow boots. Be prepared for rain/sleet as well. Sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.

Food / Meals: 

Meal plans: BYO, or plan with others
After the trail we stop at the local pizza joint in Shaver Lake for a warm delicious sit down dinner.

Misc Items to Bring:

Camera and extra batteries, winter tent, sleeping bag and blankets, extra garbage bags, GPS unit, map of the area and compass, drinking water, fire wood 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don,

I think I may have photographic evidence of you getting stuck in the lack of snow last year ....

Graeme

That's only because I was trying to pull somebody else out first. Can't quite recall who that was...

Count me in. Should I reserve a site, or anybody want to share?

As Lutzi mentioned, two trucks can pull into most of the spots and there is enough space around for multiple tents to land.

We should probably list two trucks per site so we don't end up with more sites than necessary.  We usually just square up the cost with the person who shares the spot.

The other half of my spot is available to anyone who needs it.

As Lutzi mentioned, two trucks can pull into most of the spots and there is enough space around for multiple tents to land.

We should probably list two trucks per site so we don't end up with more sites than necessary.  We usually just square up the cost with the person who shares the spot.

The other half of my spot is available to anyone who needs it.

Yes, but between the radio equipment, and heaters...there will be no extra plugs!

Archived