My kind of RV

keptin

Congrats on the trip to Vancouver and Hawaii; two of my favorite places to viist. Vancouver, Canada during the winter and Hawaii any season.

Certainly, post pictures of girls in Hawaii w/Hula skirts and coconut upper if you can (suppose you can cover it with the NCLR sweatshirt - lol).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings & season's greetings. It was a very interesting week in Honolulu as I worked the 1st Diamond Head Classic basketball tournament. Sometimes I got to say I have the best job in the world. We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for 7 days. I was paid 2 times my day rate to work 2 basketball games in 5.5 hours. I spent Christmas Eve morning in a trailer editing pieces for 3 hours, then I spent the rest of the day at poolside.

Now for the shirt shot. This week we're playing....See if you can see a NCLR tshirt in any of these shots.

Enjoy & good luck

post-102-142414638513_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638538_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638557_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638576_thumb.jpg

Aloha Jim,

You are working too hard in Hawaii (smile).

If you and your film crew have extra time off, check out the North Shore.

Start the day with a swim @ Hanauma Bay. Bring/rent snorkling gears.

And then lunch @ Kona Brewery @ Hawaii Kai. Love their Long Board beer.

Then make your way to the North Shore, and once you get there, try Shave Ice @ Matsumoto or warm malisadas @ the grocery store next block for mid-afternoon snack. Then watch the surfers!

Waialua is not too far; it's a small community on the North Shore. Waialua Sugar Mill is there - last remnant of the town’s plantation history. Check out nearby Waialua Coffee Store and Island X where you can get inexp take home souveniers. If you don't want the monster waves, you can learn to surf @ Kaiaka Bay Beach Park and Haleiwa Aii Beach Park in the Waialua area.

On the way back home for dinner, swing by the lil town of Kahuku, find Giovanni's shrimp truck and try their Garlic shrimp plate for lunch or dinner. Yumm.

Cocktails @ Waikiki. Lots of great show/entertainment.

If you have more time off, check out the Polynessian Cultural Center.

Can't find it, though it was hard to concentrate...

Greetings & season's greetings. It was a very interesting week in Honolulu as I worked the 1st Diamond Head Classic basketball tournament. Sometimes I got to say I have the best job in the world. We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for 7 days. I was paid 2 times my day rate to work 2 basketball games in 5.5 hours. I spent Christmas Eve morning in a trailer editing pieces for 3 hours, then I spent the rest of the day at poolside.

Now for the shirt shot. This week we're playing....See if you can see a NCLR tshirt in any of these shots.

Enjoy & good luck

After another careful examination, I've concluded there is no NCLR sweatshirt anywhere in evidence. However I did discover this image segment which says a lot. This little guy has his priorities right: pause with the shave ice to soak up the sights. Almost a Norman Rockwell painting. :D

post-22-142414638596_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Time to revive this thread with some news about my upcoming trip to 2010 Winter Olympics in a week. I will travel to Vancouver and stay 2 days for training at the International Broadcast Center. I will then be sent 3 hours north to Whistler to work the WCATV broadcasts. Basically, we're transmitting 4 channels of audio/video over WiMax to wireless receivers that come in 3 sizes. While it's still considered 'beta", the group leaders are striving to be solid throughout the games. Maybe if I do well, they'll ask me to go to London in 2 years?

While traveling north, I will take along my NCLR sweatshirt. I'll also pack along my old NCLR t-shirt (just in case). Not sure I'll find any cheerleaders, but I'll do my best to continue the tradition.

These photos were taken last week. I'll be working in one of those boxes. I'm also bringing my snowboard & HD video camera! I've also made contact with a couple of hams going there. We may have a net up there via the WIN System.

Enjoy your Feb MORG everyone. I'll be up north.

OBS Wireless.bmp

post-102-14241463872_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638753_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463878_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638809_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from snowy Whistler, BC home of the Alpine skiing competitions. It's been quite a week here. After spending 2 days in Vancouver getting acquainted with new equipment & graphics software, I was transported up to Whistler. I was pleased to find out that I'm staying at the Westin Whistler (4 stars) for 3 weeks in a junior suite. Pretty nice digs. As you can imagine, I've been very busy getting around and settled into my "office" in the TOC (Technical Operations Center). I was able to get 1 shot with my sweatshirt so far. Probably not what the majority of you wanted to see but here's Quatchi the official mascot so it's a start. The other photos are from the venue.

I am working on an experimental project in which we are compressing 4 channels of television into a single 500 Mhz UHF signal which can be watched with these special receivers. The goal is to replace all monitors in the next Olympics with these wireless devices. They estimate this will save each broadcaster over $100,000 in infrastructure costs just in cables.

Opening ceremonies in just 2 days, first competition is men's downhill on Saturday morning. Hope you tune in.

post-102-142414638924_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638945_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638965_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638986_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639008_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Olympic Alpine village of Whistler, BC. What a change a few days makes in the village. Over 3 years of hype and anticipation over these games has led to great disappointment in most of the merchants who are wondering "where are the people?" And today, it's wall to wall people here. It was lots of fun being surrounded by Canadians as the opening ceremonies got underway.

Up on the mountain it's a different story. We had wonderful weather the week before the games began. Once training began, the weather turned and now the snow is like spring conditions, which is not what the speed alpine skiers want. So far we've had 3 training days canceled & today's scheduled event is pushed to Monday. We suspect tomorrow will be the same story. If that is the case, I'm getting out on my snowboard and enjoying the great snow conditions.

Here are a few pictures from my venue and the square at Whistler village.

post-102-142414639029_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463905_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639072_thumb.jpg

What's the vibe with the Luge accident for those inside the ropes? Tragedy.

Dave,

The report is that it was human error that caused the accident and no amount of padding on the pole would have saved him. Speed kills. There is a memorial started at the base of those Olympic rings I posted before. As a result, all further luge action will begin from a lower start point. Men will now start at the women's start point & the women will start at the junior start point. I saw an interview with the Canadian coach who was furious at the decision. I happen to have live coverage of the women's 1st run on now. Our first day of Alpine downhill was successful. Bode Miller took the bronze for the USA. I'm now going to grab a beer & watch some hockey later. After that they have this thing they call "Fire & Ice"...I'll take pics.

Still the best gig ever.

Jim, we're keeping an eye out for you (my son and I) or which upcoming event are you going to be part of?

tx for all the updates and inside info.

Enrique,

If you see me on camera, then something has gone terribly wrong. I am working at the Whistler Creekside Alpine venue. My job consists of 2 parts. First, I produce the graphics with results & standings for all the world broadcasters for that event. It's mostly managing the flow of data into a pretty looking format. My other responsibility is managing the WCATV (wireless cable tv broadcast) and the distributon of 150 devices given out the broadcasters & VIP. WCATV is the newest Olympic Broadcast Service where we are compressing 4 audio/video feeds into 1 UHF (also known as WiMax or 4G) data stream which is then picked up by a wireless receiver where you can watch those 4 channels in crisp SD 16x9. The device is also a GPS, media player, photo player and FM radio receiver. The goal of all this is by the time London 2012 comes along, there will be no more cabeling just for monitors. At the IBC (Int'l Broadcast Centre) they are streaming 19 channels.

Here's some photos from around our venue. Enjoy

post-102-142414639094_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639115_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639136_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639158_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639185_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639206_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639234_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639255_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639275_thumb.jpg

then maybe you can share with us Individual Judges scoring breakdown for the Ice Skating Venue
It has to do with wether the judge has a cousin in the mob or possible a judge who owes your family a favor. I have an issue with calling it a sport at all. It's a damn exhibition.

On another note, today I watched the American women own the hill, winning both gold & silver in the downhill event.

Olympic update. Day 12 and we've been able to get all of our events in thanks to great weather. I actually got a whole day off and went to the top of the mountain with my snowboard. It took me 2 hours to ride down, but it was awesome snow and perfect weather. Back to the Olympics. Here's some shots from the broadcast positions above the announcers. The last picture is of the way to the food tent, 135 steps down & back up at least 3 times a day. We have a movie set catering company serving us great breakfast every morning (although the coffee sucks) and a good hearty lunch most days. Only 3 more events for the Alpine venue, then we pack it all up & head home. The entertainment at night here has been just great. Free live music in the afternoon, medal ceremony early evening & a concert following. All these events are also broadcast throughout the village. Last night I saw Devo and did they ever look old. Sounded pretty good, but they can't run around like they used to on stage. Overall, this has been the best gig ever. I hear the best bonus for me is that I don't have to be a slave to NBC's lousy coverage. Not showing USA & Canada hockey live is a disgrace. It's been fun watching hockey in a bar with both Canadian & non-Canadians alike. This crowd has been so well behaved, it's clearly my best Olympic experience.

post-102-142414639554_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639592_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639622_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639647_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639669_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639712_thumb.jpg

Fire & Ice is just what it says. Flaming hoops & skiiers & snowboarders to trick & jumps through the hoops. It really looks better on the large screens around the square. I did mention we're getting great food here. Riley is another reason I enjoy coming to the food tent. She's one of the locals who took 3 weeks off their regular gigs to hang out with a bunch of crazy tv people from around the world. The concerts have been great also. I saw Devo 2 evenings ago. They may be getting older, but they can still play pretty good. I went for the hat.

Only 4 more days up here. I'm really missing Northern California and my Rover.

post-102-142414639733_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639755_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639777_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639799_thumb.jpg

Well this gig is just about over. Last Alpine events finished. Just need to go in tomorrow and pack up the wireless receivers we were experimenting with. Overall, the managers are very pleased that everything worked technically as far as television goes.

I had an off day 2 days ago & I went to Vancouver to visit my sister in-law and we walked all around. You can see the hockey venue (smaller dome) next to BC Place (Larger dome) in these shots from the Olympic Village. (Pics 1 & 2) You may recognize the top of the convention center with it's peaks. That is where the IBC (International Broadcast Centere) is located. All broadcasts are sent here to be sent to fiber lines or satellite up-links. Here's a shot of the sat dishes (Pic 3 & 4). My sister in-law isn't shy about picking up a microphone. She does professional voice work in Vancouver.

Just under 48 hours until I return to the bay area. I've had enough fun in the mountains. Still the best gig ever!

post-102-142414639823_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639845_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639865_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639885_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414639907_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Wrap up and some links to pictures. Glad to be back in the Bay Area, still the best place on Earth. I had so much fun up in Vancouver that I can't really call it work. Of the 22 day there, I spent 4 in downtown Vancouver and saw most of the sights, then 18 day in the mountain resort of Whistler. Of those 18 days, 12 were competition days but not all went as planned. Weather closed down the course on the 1st 2 days of scheduled competition. Bad weather for downhill racers means great conditions for us snowboarders. I took advantage of a few freebies and got a 5-day lift ticket free. Here's a shot of no one on the slopes (pic 1).

It was like 1 big party in Whistler. Here's a shot of the Whistler Live stage before the crowds arrived (pic 2). Here's the same square as the Barenaked Ladies played (pic 3). Most of the bars and restaurants I went into looked like this (pic 4).

The medal ceremonies were equally as packed (pic 5, 6). I saw my share of Mounties too (pic 7). And the hotel was really nice. Here's view from my room on the 9th floor of the Westin (pic 8). They fed us well at the venue. Here's our food tent at breakfast (pic 9).

After the last broadcast, everyone is striking all the cables and equipment (pic 10). Glad I was only partially involved in that part. I hope you enjoyed my backstage look at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

For more photos of the Olympics from a non-news source, check out the kitskam link below.

http://thelastminuteblog.com/2010/02/06/vancouver-olympics-photos/

CTV has video of most events on line: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/index.html

Enjoy

post-102-142414640037_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640075_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640098_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241464012_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640142_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640165_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640191_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640213_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640234_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414640255_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It's that time of year again. College Football begins this weekend and I'm on the road again. Of course I'll be bringing my NCLR sweatshirt with me. First up is Toledo, OH this Friday night. Next week we go to Marshall, WV, then Hattisburg, MS. Stay tuned for photos and more. Maybe I need a new sweatshirt...

Archived