My kind of RV

keptin

This week I was in New Jersey. New Brunswick to be precise. It was so cold here the 3 days I was here. There was no hope of getting my sweatshirt off of me this week. The shot of the field shows me holding some hot coffee as we have our game day lunch.

The day before, I found this historic site that should be of great interest to anyone who uses wireless technology, especially the amateur radio operators in our group.

Wednesday, I head to West Point for the yawner of Rutgers @ Army Friday night.

post-102-142414636755_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636759_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636771_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week we went to the Military Academy at West Point, NY. This is one of the most beautiful campus I've ever walked around. If you're a history buff, there's tons of it here. The most remarkable aspect of my visit was the total respect and lack of sarcasm by everyone we met. Walking across the parade grounds made you feel small. Especially as you pass the statues of Washington, Patton & MacArthur.

Our runner this week was Amanda. She's a rugby player and interested in learning more about the television industry. She was very gracious in posing for me. She's standing at the "T" in west point in the end zone at Michie stadium.

Next week we go to Tampa.

post-102-14241463679_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636835_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636861_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636885_thumb.jpg

This week we went to the Military Academy at West Point, NY. This is one of the most beautiful campus I've ever walked around. If you're a history buff, there's tons of it here. The most remarkable aspect of my visit was the total respect and lack of sarcasm by everyone we met. Walking across the parade grounds made you feel small. Especially as you pass the statues of Washington, Patton & MacArthur.

Our runner this week was Amanda. She's a rugby player and interested in learning more about the television industry. She was very gracious in posing for me. She's standing at the "T" in west point in the end zone at Michie stadium.

Next week we go to Tampa.

As much as I thank Amanda for the assistance, I am honored to say:

Go Navy, Beat Army........its in the family, sorry...

Tampa huh, If I had your job I actually get to St. Pete's Beach this year...

This was a nice week for our crew. Sure we had to go east again, but the warm weather was a great relief after the last 2 frozen experiences.

We stayed at the Renaissance hotel at the International Plaza. Nice place and only 10 minutes from the airport and Raymond James Stadium, where our game was Friday night. The mall next to the hotel had both indoor & outdoor restaurants and shops. It took no time at all to find us in t-shirts & shorts checking out the local action. Myself & a few friends ended up at the Blue Martini Wednesday evening. We met Bonnie there and after a few drinks & conversation, she revealed her interest in what we did, so we invited her to our set day. She also agreed to be my sweatshirt model for the week. I couldn't ask her to put it on....I'm sure you'll understand. Enjoy.

Next week we venture to Louisiana Tech. Wish us luck.

post-102-142414636912_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636954_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414636977_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was one trip on one was looking forward to. We went to Ruston, LA for the Boise St vs LA Tech game Friday. What we did now was that Ruston is in a "dry" county in LA, so we all stocked up on our trip from the airport to the hotel. There's not much in Ruston other than the college and a few shops & restaurants. I did enjoy the southern hospitality and hearing "youall" way too many times and I had to remember to ask for unsweetened iced tea.

At lunch time on game day, there wasn't anyone around I could get to model my sweatshirt, so I took this shot (1). Right after that, the LA Tech song girls all paraded by and my opportunity presented itself. The girls were happy to help out and a few of them posed for my picture (2). I than asked them to have some fun and play tug of war with my sweatshirt (heck I'll get a new one soon) and this is the picture of the year! (3)

Hope you all are enjoying my documenting my trips around the country. Next week, we go to Cincinnati.

post-102-142414637053_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637079_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637104_thumb.jpg

I don't post every picture I take ;)

and remember it is astateofmike at yahoo dot com....and I'll wait for the email with attachments.....

Yes, sweet tea.....be wary of that little slip......nothing like a little Southern Comfort with some southern comfort....

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been 2 weeks since my last update. Since then, I came down with the flu, traveled to Cincinnati and suffered through the set day feeling like crap. Game day I was among the living again, but I wasn't to enthusiastic about anything that week. But I did get a few pictures. :D

I noticed a local television reporter setting up for a live shot, so I thought why not? Rontina McCann is the field sports reporter for Fox19 in Cincinnati. She was happy to do the shot. She even wanted to do it twice because she thought she blinked. What a professional. :)

From there, ESPN asked me to work the College Basketball Hall of Fame Tournament in St. Louis. Never one to turn down a sports gig, I said yes. Had an off day in STL on Saturday and I thought, why not go to the top of the Arch? I got to the top just before sunset. These 2 girls were taking pictures of themselves, so I offered to take one for them. In return they posed for the next picture. :P

From St. Louis to Logan, Utah. It was much colder there than any other place this year. April was one of our runners and a soon to be graduate broadcast journalism student. To prove the magic of my NCLR sweatshirt, here is April dressed as normal, then she puts on my NCLR sweatshirt and magically she is much warmer. ;)

Next week I go to Boise, Idaho. Home of the 10-0 Broncos who are hoping for a BCS bowl game this year. Will the NCLR sweatshirt hold up to the blue turf in Boise?

post-102-142414637155_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637193_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463722_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637245_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637269_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637295_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week I was in Boise, ID for our Friday night game. When we arrived, it was a nice day, although a bit crisp. Thursday was our set day. We started at 9 am and had great weather being Boise in November. We then all gathered at 7 pm for our Thanksgiving dinner at a local restaurant that was wonderful enough to stay open for our crew of 40. Our sweatshirt model for this week is Janna. She was actually from Utah and drove to Boise with our other runner from last week April. Before game time it began to rain and we see Janna trying to stay dry & warm. It's amazing the power of the NCLR sweatshirt to instantly warm the person wearing it.

Next week we go to Detroit, MI for the MAC Championship game, then they ship me off to Connecticut to get trained on the newest software that ESPN will be introducing during the upcoming bowl games.

I've also been contacted by the Vancouver Olympic Committee about working there during February. Wish me luck. Could be my first international NCLR opportunity.

post-102-142414637324_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637365_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414637391_thumb.jpg

This week we finally had real winter weather. Fortunately for us, our game was indoors. It was the MAC Championship game between Ohio and Central Michigan. I caught up with the Ohio cheer squad and asked them to do my shot. The whole group said yes. Someone then asked if I was from Northern California. I said I was and then asked why would you come to Michigan? I've asked myself that question and the only real answer is "because they're paying me to be here" was all I could come up with.

One of the most interesting things about Detroit is the sheer blight of the area. During the week there were very few people walking around the downtown area. Even after a Red Wings game it wasn't much better. I was told about this place that had been turned into an art project outside the downtown area. It's called the Heidelberg Project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_Project. They turned trash into art in an entire neighborhood. I'm including a few pics to give you a taste if it.

This week I'm not doing a football game. I'll be at the mothership of ESPN in Bristol, CT to participate in a graphics seminar on the new software they'll roll out during their Bowl Game telecasts. It's actually the same look they use for Monday Night Football. I'll work on getting some of my younger associate producers to do a shot in front of the antenna farm or something like that.

Next week I don't have a game scheduled. I may want to head down to Hollister for a weekday trip.

post-102-142414638194_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638215_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463824_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638265_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463829_thumb.jpg

This week I was in Bristol, CT. Home of ESPN, they even have a sign in front of their studios. Myself and a dozen of other graphics operators, associate producer and MIS people gathered Thursday to get a feel for the new graphics look that ESPN will incorporate into the bowl games this month. It's really the look that Monday Night Football has been using for 2 years.

In the ESPN Plaza is a huge display on the World Cup event next year. The iPhone camera doesn't really cut it in these situations, but I forgot the regular one. My absolute favorite employee of ESPN is Stephanie Paulk. Steph & I worked together last year on the ABC west coast college football package. She loved the idea of the sweatshirt shots around the states, so here she is before she ran off to an edit session. The end of the day became a big social gathering among the techie geeks. You can see the big screen they used for the demo.

I have a week off until I go to Hawai'i for a basketball tournament Christmas week. I'm missing the Emerald Bowl which the rest of my crew & my oldest son will be working.

Today, I received my official invitation to work the Vancouver Olympics in February. Should be a good time.

Maybe I can wheel again come spring time.

post-102-142414638312_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638324_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638336_thumb.jpg

post-102-142414638348_thumb.jpg

post-102-14241463836_thumb.jpg

Archived