Headed to california

ChrisJB

I will be doing camping at sunset SB oct 4th - 6th south of Santa Cruz. was wondering if the club has any activites going on that weekend. Going to the montery aquarium sunday but dont have anything planned for sat the 4th.

Annual meeting is at Hollister OHV. Camping Friday and Saturday nights. About 2 hours from Monterey...

Sunset SB is like my childhood backyard

believe or not, Will, i've never camped at any of the SC or Monterey County beach campgrounds. however, my wife and i were just contemplating doing so in Sept or Oct and wondered which is the best. sunset? manresa? new brighton? zmudzowski (sp?)? any others? we'll have our three little kids and our pop-up.

I like Manresa, campsite #13 is the best. It's the last one one the loop and is closest to the bluff(best view) My wife and I camped there for four days a few months ago and discovered #13. Just be ready to carry your equipment a hundred yards or so. Sorry for the hijack.

Steve

believe or not, Will, i've never camped at any of the SC or Monterey County beach campgrounds. however, my wife and i were just contemplating doing so in Sept or Oct and wondered which is the best. sunset? manresa? new brighton? zmudzowski (sp?)? any others? we'll have our three little kids and our pop-up.

Manresa uplands without a doubt, tent camping only, used to live near there twice, long story

Sunset draws sketchy types

New Brighton is great but mostly set up for RV's and trailers

Zmudski, day use only, not sure?

My family has camped at both New Brighton & Manresa. Each has benefits and drawbacks. New Brighton is up on the cliff, so getting to the beach requires many stairs. Manresa is just slightly higher than the beach. It's an easy walk to the beach, but the parking lot is quite a ways away. We bring a small wagon to haul our stuff to the campsite. BTW across the highway from Manresa is a KOA camp if that's your preference.

One piece of advice I have is to reserve asap. I booked my current campsite 2 months ago and it was the last available campsite on the entire coast of cali for my particular weekend so I got lucky. Seems like you have to book 6 mo or longer in advance if you want a spot. camping during the weekdays would yeild better luck getting a spot. I wanted to stay at New Brighton but they are book up all the way until early november so I didnt have any choices available so I was "stuck" with Sunset SB. Had had to settle for what I can get my hands on.

you have to go to http://www.reserveamerica.com to reserve a campsite at any campground you decide to go.

thanks, guys. i've never really wanted to camp at new brighton anyway. been to the beach below it a million times and am not really that big a fan, and my kids would NOT want to do the walk down there.

sounds like manresa is the way to go. the uplands, huh? i'll check into it. however, we might have to hit the KOA across the street instead.

sunset is sketchy? you would know, Will, wouldn't you?

thanks, guys. i've never really wanted to camp at new brighton anyway. been to the beach below it a million times and am not really that big a fan, and my kids would NOT want to do the walk down there.

sounds like manresa is the way to go. the uplands, huh? i'll check into it. however, we might have to hit the KOA across the street instead.

sunset is sketchy? you would know, Will, wouldn't you?

Isn't Sunset Wills old hangout? :D

Archived