Headed to the dealer......

ChrisJB

One of the hardest desicions I have had to make regarding a vehicle, but Ill be offering my disco as a trade-in on a new Dodge Ram 1500. The factory warranty expires this November, I am unable to secure an extended warranty, and I just dont have the finances to pay the repair costs. I haven't had anything major break, but even the little repairs would been costly if I had to pay out of pocket. It's been in the shop about 7 times since I have owned the vehicle. Now the engine is running a bit rough, I have water leaking from the sunroof when it rains. So now I feel like I have to part ways with it. There are lots of pluses with the Dodge like unlimited powertrain warranty (will be buying an extended to cover everything else), better gas mileage with the MDE 5.7 Hemi, more room, much better towing capabilities, lower insurance cost, lower monthly payments. Right now everything is going to hinge on what kind of a deal I can get for the new truck, but honestly a little part of me hopes I dont get the deal I am looking for so I can have a reason to keep the disco. I am really sad about this because I have never been emotionally attached to a vehicle before.

It's a tough decision!

Hopefully with some elbow grease and help/advice from others, you can reduce wallet share cost to keep up the Land Rover if you decide to keep it.

Re: leak from the sunroof; it could be a clogged up drain plug or try this $3 solution for your water leak.

- Get a tube of windshield silcone sealant at your local auto parts store (Home Depot might even carry it).

- Seal around the outside of the front sunroof frame (not around the sunroof glass).

- Do the rear also while at it.

- And then do the fake rain test (garden hose); see what happens! Might have to do this yearly, but for $3 what the heck - why not to keep the water out!

Also a tune-up is well worth looking into especially if you have not done so in awhile and planning on keeping your DII. I had Cerrone's change the spk plugs, upgrade to Magnacore spk plug wires, etc... Runs better. I have close to 70k now on my 04 DII.

Need to also keep an eye on your front driveshaft unless it has been replaced to greasable or serviceable unit!

Humm something to think about: read someone that next to Honda Civic, Camry, F150 truck, that the Dodge Ram 1500 truck is one of the top 10 vehicles stolen.

life is full of difficult decisions, one can either;

cave in, slide down the low road, take the easy way out

or

stay the course, take the high road, suffer increased wallet pain

To Rover or not Rover.....

I long think about the possability of passing the RRC on for another truck. Luckily it is not my DD and therfore if it needs to sit for a month until I can get to and figure out how to repair, NBD. If my DD Chevy ever goes, I'll either get a wagon or another SUV, and then the question which to wheel will be harder.

No matter what you do, you always have friends here....you can't park next to us with that dodge, but you understand.

Good luck, let us know cause when it all is said and done, we all want to see the new toy!

• 2 weeks later...

This Disco...... Is still sitting on my driveway lol I just couldnt bring myself to get rid of it. The Ram was awesome, I loved the noise the Hemi made when I stomped on the loud pedal, but I couldnt bring myself to sign the paperwork. A few things swayed my decision. 1st a full sized trucks arent that good for 4 wheeling which was something I didnt even consider. A friend of mine took me out in his Ford F-150 and the size of the truck made it tough to negotiate some of the trails we went out on and the Ram is bigger than the F-150. Also the service tech gave me some info on a aftermarket extended warranty and after a phone call, discovered they will cover a Land Rover in Nevada. It's about $4500 for full bumper to bumper 5 years 125000 miles. 3rd I went to my local Audi dealership and test drove a Audi RS4 cause I didnt have anything better to do, and my passion for the brand has been re-ignited. I have owned a few audi's in my lifetime (quattro, 4000CS, 90 20V, A4, S4) and I want another. So the choice now is between a new A3 S-line or a used S4 to park right next to my Rover. I would rather have an Audi than a Ram

I am in the process of tuning up the LR. I replaced the sparks plugs with a set of Bosch Platinum 4's and will be ordering a set of magnacore's within the next couple of months. Slowly replacing the fluids with products from Royal Purple (engine oil, diff lube, transmission, power steering fluid, etc I have been using royal purple on the neon since the first oil change and had no mechanical issues since and I have over 100k on the odometer now). Replaced the thermostat, flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant, replaced the fuel filter. So now the engine runs smooooth....... I just ordered a Borla catback exhaust system and will be ordering a cold air intake to give it some more umph and maybe even a meaner sound.....

Good to hear you decided to keep the Disco. Hopefully you can get a handle on the repairs and they begin to slow down, but it sounds like you have a good start on them. My friend is waiting for Sept. to roll around so he can get an A3 too.

Other than what I listed I think the only other thing I need are new shocks and swaybar bushings for the front and rear. The ride is a little bouncy and my susp squeaks when i go over bumps. At our local Audi dealer then have a used 2005 S4 fully loaded for 29k. Has about 40k miles on it. 4.2l V8, 6 speed manual, cold weather package, navigation, sunroof, in red what black leather interior. It has def peaked my interest.

Archived