Extended service contracts

Starting a new thread as i didnt mean to hi-jack GriffSC thread about something completly different. :)

I am looking for an extended service contract for my Land Rover. When i bought my Disco from a dealer off of ebay. I didnt fully comprehend that the "extended warranty" was a dealer warranty and not a manufacterer warranty LR. Considering the dealer is located in Atlanta Georgia, dont really feel like driving it accross country to resolve any issues. In the 2 years I have had it. I have had to take it in for a broken driver side power window regulator, broken sunroof rails, headlight housings that had water condensation inside after a wash or rain, squeaky suspension (still not resolved), faulty wiper motor, and faulty cruise control. After these repairs, i added up the total cost and the bill would have been almost 5k. The 2 headlight housings were $500 a piece. So needless to say I would prefer to have some type of service contract while I am at least still making payments. I contacted my local LR dealer today and the dealer stated they cannot sell me a factory service contract as I am not the original owner. So now I am looking at a 3rd party company. GriffSC suggested warranty direct, but they dont support Land Rovers for Nevada residents. Most places i looked at wont touch a LR. I did finally find one company http://www.AAAutoWarranty.com and I am looking at $5600 for a 5 year 100k mile bumper to bumper. So far it seems like a good deal since everything is covered except normal wear and tear. What are your guy's thought, opnions, experience if any on this type of service?

Whats really turning me off is the high pressure sales. All I want is a quote. I dont plan of buying anything untill november which is when my factory warranty expires. A lot of these warranties kick in at time of purchase or 30 days after purchase so no sense getting one now if I still have my factory warranty. I just want an idea so I know how much money I need to save up for. I call for a quote, and I get a price and they then demand my credit card. I tell them I am not ready to buy then they give me the "Well you have to buy this warranty today to get this price because tomorrow it will go up to 50 gazillion dollars!" excuse. I just shake my head and hangup.

I checked Ford ESP and I only see Ford, Lincoln, Mercury as options. I am sure you are able to get it as you are the original owner of your LR3

I know there are certain contracts that they will do work for, and others they won't. So just as important as getting the contract is making sure your mechanic will agree to whatever crazy authorization/reimbursement process the warranty comapny has...

Thats the next thing on my list is to find a good mechanic. The dealer is killing me with their crappy service. The only place in this area i may trust is http://www.sporthausinc.com/. if It's good enough for ferraris, porsche's, and lamborghini's then it probably good enough for the landy. My other mechanics options usually involve a barn and livestock hanging around.... But thanks for making that point. Something I never thought about

Ok, I went ahead and bought it. I ended up with 6 years, 100k mile warranty with $50 deductible, everything covered except the usual like service items ( oil filters) and wear and tear items like breaks and such for only $2,000 and backed by Ford. If your Rover is still under 36k miles follow the link I posted above. Seems like a very reasonable deal compared to LR priced extended warranties. They let you choose the repair shop, shop charges are determined by the "factory book" and the only cap to any repair is the blue book value of the vehicle itself at the time of the repair.

now that i look at the warranty, i see that the coverage starts from the in-service date and 0 mileage. since my truck is already 4 years old, the best i could get would be 2 years of coverage from now (if i chose the 6-year option). unless i'm mistaken about this, the Ford ESP is not as good an option as that which i've found on warranty direct, where i can get extended coverage that begins with the contract purchase date.

Yes. It starts at the date of purchase so the age of the vehicle also plays a big role. I am putting about 20k per year on mine so the timing works perfect for me being 06. The other one I looked into was like the one you mention, time starting at the time of extended warranty purchase but the coverage itself didn't even come close to Ford and since I'll be hitting 100k in another 3 1/2 years at this rate, it just worked well for me.

Archived