RovrFlo

Disco2Guy

Even though RovrFlo is without the RTE front bumper for a bit, I had to jump on this deal. An unused Warn XD9000i for $777 shipped. The seller is a fireman in NC, looking to go to EMT school so it felt good helping him out pay for that. I just talked to Tony and he still has one of the LRRForums aluminum fairleads. Sometime (before installation) I'll get the synthetic winch line to replace the steel wire cable that comes with the winch.

Just use the steel until its' time to replace it.

Just use the steel until its' time to replace it.

X2! Still using steel on my Defender; when I see wear/tear, will look to synthetic line also!

Congrats on the winch purchase! Will up coming winch safety training during our annual gathering will come in handy!

I might do that, or, sell it unused with the roller fairlead to help cover the cost of the syn line. Either way I'm in no rush right now on either front as this wasn't a planned purchase. Looks like I need to really sell my 16" wheels now. :D

• 2 weeks later...
So I spent the better part of today rebuilding the planetary gears of the winch. Once I pounded the cover off I immediately saw what the issue was. The lower half of the gears were rusted and the lube looked like it turned into mud. After a long time of degreasing, and wire brushing as much of that junk off as I could, I added fresh Mobil1 lube and re-assembled everything. It works perfectly now!! I have no idea how the water or moisture got into the gears. The winch never installed (or used) by the PO, so it''s not like it went through a river. Also, the other half of the winch (the motor) doesn''t have a sign of any water damage at all. It makes me think there was something with the grease that was in there. Anyways, I found this great article on doing a complete rebuild of a Warn XD9000i online and used that to guide me. Before the winch is installed on my truck I''ll need to replace the motor cap (it got damaged in shipping) and get new seals for the ones on the planetary gear side. Here are a few pics of what I found after opening up the case.

Wow! Sorry to hear about the winch problem. It is one of the facts of buying online, you never know what you are going to find when the item arrives. Sounds like you will get a good winch out of it and an education on how they work.

So I spent the better part of today rebuilding the planetary gears of the winch. Once I pounded the cover off I immediately saw what the issue was. The lower half of the gears were rusted and the lube looked like it turned into mud. After a long time of degreasing, and wire brushing as much of that junk off as I could, I added fresh Mobil1 lube and re-assembled everything. It works perfectly now!! I have no idea how the water or moisture got into the gears. The winch never installed (or used) by the PO, so it''s not like it went through a river. Also, the other half of the winch (the motor) doesn''t have a sign of any water damage at all. It makes me think there was something with the grease that was in there. Anyways, I found this great article on doing a complete rebuild of a Warn XD9000i online and used that to guide me. Before the winch is installed on my truck I''ll need to replace the motor cap (it got damaged in shipping) and get new seals for the ones on the planetary gear side. Here are a few pics of what I found after opening up the case.

• 4 weeks later...
I just got word from Justin at Lucky8 LLC that the QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard made it through customs and is at his shop. It will be ordered this Friday, and hope to have it sometime next week. I will (obviously) report back on fitment when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the front diff guard arrived from Justin at Lucky8. As far as he knows this is the first time this particular mod has been done in North America. Installing a QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard on a (NAS) Discovery 2. I got the idea from Nick Gibbons across the pond, who first did the install on his TD5 Discovery 2. The standard front D2 diff guard from QT requires the need to weld two tabs onto the diff cover. Using the Defender TD5 version it is a complete bolt on job.

The install is pretty straight forward. Loosely fit the top bracket with the two bolts from the diff cover. Hand tighten the smaller bolt/washer through the top bracket and into the top of the diff guard. Test fit the two remaining bolts on the end by the drive shaft. Use the bottle jack to position and hold the guard against the housing. Screwdrivers were used to get the holes lined up as much as possible. Tighten the two bolts on the bottom, the two on top, and then the smaller bolt that connects the two pieces of the guard.

Pictures of the install start at the link, just hit the next button to see the rest.

I have not read the whole thread, but let us know how much the QT guard plus shipping set up; might be interested!

Thanks Brenton for posting this!

Today, the front diff guard arrived from Justin at Lucky8. As far as he knows this is the first time this particular mod has been done in North America. Installing a QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard on a (NAS) Discovery 2. I got the idea from Nick Gibbons across the pond, who first did the install on his TD5 Discovery 2. The standard front D2 diff guard from QT requires the need to weld two tabs onto the diff cover. Using the Defender TD5 version it is a complete bolt on job.

The install is pretty straight forward. Loosely fit the top bracket with the two bolts from the diff cover. Hand tighten the smaller bolt/washer through the top bracket and into the top of the diff guard. Test fit the two remaining bolts on the end by the drive shaft. Use the bottle jack to position and hold the guard against the housing. Screwdrivers were used to get the holes lined up as much as possible. Tighten the two bolts on the bottom, the two on top, and then the smaller bolt that connects the two pieces of the guard.

Pictures of the install start at the link, just hit the next button to see the rest.

It was the same cost as their other QT diff guards, $120 + $17 for shipping. I heard back from Justin and he is going to start keeping them in stock and sell them as bolt-on D2 diff guards. He only ordered the one diff guard for me so I'm not sure how long it will take to get another order from QT. I first contacted him in mid-August about this. I'd call Justin to get an eta on his next shipment.

• 1 month later...

The rear ladder was installed during the Annual Event at Hollister, and last week a dog guard (out of a G4 no less) was installed. Still haven't gotten pics of either one yet, but I will this Friday... when I get an SD rack!!

The seller was scoping CL ads for a D2 with an SD rack. He contacted a person selling the truck and got them to just sell the rack a few weeks ago. Since then he decided he didn't want the rack for his cross country trek and will be selling it to me this Friday. It is the tall Highlander version. Now I need to find a new parking spot in the garage!!!

The rear ladder was installed during the Annual Event at Hollister, and last week a dog guard (out of a G4 no less) was installed. Still haven't gotten pics of either one yet, but I will this Friday... when I get an SD rack!!

The seller was scoping CL ads for a D2 with an SD rack. He contacted a person selling the truck and got them to just sell the rack a few weeks ago. Since then he decided he didn't want the rack for his cross country trek and will be selling it to me this Friday. It is the tall Highlander version. Now I need to find a new parking spot in the garage!!!

your getting a SD rack awesome Brenton.:cool:

Archived